Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
Switzerland
Luzern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some time ago in one of my many wargame series impulse buying sprees, I picked up all 5 games (new) of the Der Weltkrieg series. After reading many positive reviews and being a WWI game fanatic, this seemed to be the only gap in my collection. However.....after a year now of trying to get the west front game on my table, I always stop short after laying out the maps....which to me is just so butt-ugly I don't feel like playing the game.

What does everyone think.....is the series so good that I should try and ignore my dislike of the map graphics? Or is there something pleasing about these maps that I'm just not getting? (I know, gameplay is the thing....but for me esthetics is also equally important)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the maps and love the system. They do take a bit of getting used to but I never thought they were butt ugly. To each his own I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Switzerland
Luzern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably just personal taste....the angular terrain and the city graphics just bug me to look at. At the other end of the scale......1914 TitE.....beautiful map!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
There is a certain beauty in things that function well and efficiently. The SPW maps reach for something that isn't easily attained otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCalpin
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find as the years go by that my increasingly shaky eyesight prevents me from being offended by the maps, though I grant that they are a little odd. The game itself seems like a surprisingly simple and yet appropriate set of mechanisms to depict the Great War. If enjoying it completely means I have to defocus my eyes a bit, well, that's easier all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Switzerland
Luzern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I guess it's just me......I'll give it another shot and hopefully the gameplay will mask my feelings for the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam D.
United States
Suquamish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My (way back) family is from Paularo. It's on the Italian Front map. That's all I got, but it was enough to make me buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had no issue with the map, if I had to comment, I think the color choices are a little saturated and could have been lighter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Cameron
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stratosaur wrote:
Well, I guess it's just me......I'll give it another shot and hopefully the gameplay will mask my feelings for the map.

You are not alone. I don't really like the maps either. I don't think they are bad maps at all - very functional and aestheticallly bold. Just don't really appeal to my inner artist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trauth
Australia
Pretty much everywhere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know - I could always deal with the maps, aesthetically - I like playing the Schlieffen Plan scenario, and maybe some day would like to give Galicia a go.

I am not really sure why Italian Front wasn't just combined with Western Front -it really isn't a stand alone game to serve as an introductory game like Tannenberg/Galicia was (and mind you Tannenberg itself seemed pretty scripted to the point where I thought the same thing would happen every single game. It might be a little different when played in conjunction with Galicia (and maybe Serbia as well).

As the system relies on hexside terrain, it is difficult to imagine maps the worked much differently than the current style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stratosaur wrote:
Probably just personal taste....the angular terrain and the city graphics just bug me to look at. At the other end of the scale......1914 TitE.....beautiful map!

FWIW, I agree with your observations about the components for DWK and TitE. Haven't played either yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Russ
United States
Marshall
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's rare for me to get bothered by counter/map art. However, on the occasions that I do, I usually find that after playing a game for a while I get used to whatever my objections are and completely forget about my initial reaction.

So try the games - because they definitely deserve time on your table! Perhaps the maps will be OK for you after a while.

Also, great avatar....Rush has always been one of my favorite bands.

Cheers,
Jason
Wargame Depot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
Visit the Wargame Bootcamp guild
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb

What is the best introduction scenario to the SPW series ?

For an introduction scenario I mean with setup and a good amount of play, preferably to completion, in a day for a couple of newbies. Play balance and with both sides having to attack and defend is preferred.
I have all the games in either Sterling or non Sterling versions.

Galicia scenario ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
oi_you_nutter wrote:

For an introduction scenario I mean with setup and a good amount of play, preferably to completion, in a day for a couple of newbies. Play balance and with both sides having to attack and defend is preferred.

Galicia scenario ?

Tannenberg. I always use this to teach newcomers to the series. Has the fewest counters of any interesting scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ward
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 on Tannenberg for an intro to the system.

The use of hexsides rather than hexes for much of the terrain provides for a granularity in the maps that isn't available otherwise. I find that, playing the game, makes the maps much more interesting. Until you play it they can appear kaleidoscopic but their function greatly outweighs any momentary distaste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Kreder
United States
Nuevo
California
flag msg tools
Founder of the The Wargame Bootcamp (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/962)
badge
My hero Grumpy Bonaparte
mbmbmbmbmb
oi_you_nutter wrote:

Galicia scenario ?

Are you planing something fot this Saturday? If so I would be very interested (if you have room of course)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
Visit the Wargame Bootcamp guild
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
zeotter wrote:
oi_you_nutter wrote:

Galicia scenario ?

Are you planing something fot this Saturday? If so I would be very interested (if you have room of course)

Are we doing USE this Saturday ?
The SPW series is on my to-play list: If I can find my The Eastern Front: 1914-1917 then I might bring it along
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Kreder
United States
Nuevo
California
flag msg tools
Founder of the The Wargame Bootcamp (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/962)
badge
My hero Grumpy Bonaparte
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Are we doing USE this Saturday ?
The SPW series is on my to-play list: If I can find my The Eastern Front: 1914-1917 then I might bring it along

I can play USE too, I just thought you were thinking of The Eastern Front: 1914-1917. You know with the WWI anniversary and all... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trauth
Australia
Pretty much everywhere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with Tannenberg as an introduction to the system, is that the title is only currently available as part of a package now called 'Eastern Front' which runs something at or a bit over $100 US.

Previously it had been part of a dual package 'Tannenberg/Galicia' and while at US $40 was still a bit more money than most intro products -that title is OOP so you have to look around to find copies of it now.

Personally I found that it might be a double edges sword - yes there are a much smaller amount of counters used ... but, I found the action to be very scripted to the point that only one result was ever possible - and that was caused by the German player knowing what special rules that the Russians had to go by and just placing their units just outside of direct paths to Koenigsberg.

Considering that one of the company's goals is to introduce new players to wargaming, it is a bit different not to have an intro title or scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of the original printing games are on the market now for lower prices.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekstore.php3?action=viewitem&...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Doupe
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The maps for the Der Weltkrieg series are a pretty common complaint. So no, it's not just you.

However, I recently started playing the system myself, and I find once counters are on the map the kaleidoscope effect is muted. And the hexside terrain really adds depth of choice to the maneuver of units in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Switzerland
Luzern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everybody, you've convinced me to give it a shot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trauth
Australia
Pretty much everywhere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
billyboy wrote:
Lots of the original printing games are on the market now for lower prices.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekstore.php3?action=viewitem&...

Fwiw, $39.95 was the RRP for that title. But yes, as Bill says, you can still find them -you just have to look harder.

Here's an old AAR I wrote for Tannenberg -although I guess I never bothered to get out the photos referenced. I probably have them but doubt I can be bothered after all of these years.

I didn't do too many of these -for my money TSP is a much more compelling title. I guess mileage varies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.