Hide
9 Posts

Hive» Forums » General

Subject: Best place to play Hive Online rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alessandro Di Bitonto
msg tools
Hi guys, i want to play online Hive and i wonder to know which is bet place to play Hive online among Board Game Arena, Boardspace.net and Steam.
Where can i find the largest and most active community of players?

thank you very much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Colombo
United States
Raleigh / Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
BlueLineGameStudios.com
badge
BlueLine Game Studios - Digital Tabletop games since 2011
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the most accurate answer is to play on all of them, unfortunately. None of them are where we want them to be, yet.

Across the entire Boardspace site (ie: all games, not just Hive), there are around 2,000 games per month at the moment. That's about 67 games per day (not sure how many are Hive, but it's their most popular game last I heard).

On BGA, I don't see a place for stats, but the recent games list shows some big-name players on it. This is less statistically valid because I'm only sampling RIGHT NOW, but it shows 37 games in the last 12 hours on their "Latest Games" list, which is equal to about 74 games per day.

The Steam version (disclosure: that's our version) is showing 10,900+ games having been played but that counts all modes, not just online. Subtracting out the other games modes, it shows about 1702 games in the 42 days since launch ~ 40 games/day online.

So, they're all in the same ballpark - especially since they're all estimates with various reasons that they're inaccurate... but basically the answer at the moment seems to be all three. :-/

I have guesses on how this will change in the future, but they're only guesses at the moment, so I'll skip them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sperling

Brisbane
Australia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my personal story:
I started playing HIVE on boardspace.net for many years.
The big advantage is that you can play all expansion pieces plus HIVE Ultimate, a variant allowing you to customize your sets of Hive.
Another plus is the way how you can review a game.

In recent months, I had the feeling that boardspace.net is lacking in traffic and it was hard to find players for Hive. At the moment I have returned to boardspace.net for the annual tournament which normally boosts the number of HIVE players online.

I switched to www.boardgamearena.com January 2014 and found it challenging to climb up the ELO ranking as far as it gets. The amount of players there is huge, and with a little bit of patience it is not so hard to arrange a game with another player. Currently this is my favourite place for playing HIVE.

The cons are the poor replay function and that a draw due to a 3-times repetition of a position is not implemented. You can only agree with your opponent to abandon the game without getting penalties.

HIVE on steam is rather new but they already released all available expansions. So far I tried twice to play online there, but was unsuccessful - no one was around for playing HIVE. In consequence, I haven't pursued my attempts to hang around on that site. I hope though, that Hive will get more popular on steam would. I will give it another shot in some weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willi Van Bogaert
Belgium
Gent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeanColombo wrote:
That's about 67 games per day (not sure how many are Hive, but it's their most popular game last I heard).

According to the stats Hive accounts for 41% of games. That makes it 27ish games per day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tsai image13
Taiwan
flag msg tools
Not considered the amount of players,
I like Boardspace.net most.
It is the best site to play all expansions,
and it is very easy to discuss and review the games.
When the game ends,we can rearrange the positions of bugs as we want.
It is very important to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mosse Stenström
Finland
Porvoo
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got back into Hive having bought the game on Steam when it was for 50% off.

The problem with the Steam-edition is that there doesn't seem to be anyone playing it online, and you have to pay extra to get the expansions (...as three different DLC:s).

I really like the user interface on BoardGameArena.com, but I can't find any way to use the expansion pieces at all.

Boardspace.net has quite a clunky user interface and not very many players online, but you can mix and match the expansions pieces freely and even play the A.I. if there are no other players available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fabian from boardspace
msg tools
mbmbmb
i agree with image13.

you get more players on bga, but the "active" players are on both sides! i think boardspace.net has the better interface and it is not clunky ! as i first tried bga, i thought: "what did the programmers wrong?"

And boardspace.net is the home for rare abstract boardgames. It is similiar to a modern interactive gaming museum. and i mean it as a compliment!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seal Bludgeoner
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Dear creator of Hive,

Make a tablet app and become rich.

- Seal Bludgeoner
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ZayaS Zaychello
msg tools
I think it's Steam. I play there. Plz find me there and let's play online ツ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.