Donald Foster
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Hello everyone, I'm in the process of remaking some computer version of board games I wrote over 25 years ago in GW-BASIC on the Tandy 2000 computer. I no longer have a working Tandy 2000, but recently I've been rewriting them in QB64. I started off making board games on the TRS-80 Model 4 about 30 years ago. None of the board games are my own creation. They are computer versions of existing board games by game manufactures. I have a few games finished and working on more. They are only written as a hobby of mine and none of them are professionally written. Rules are not included with the games, but I do have some of the rules that I can upload. Game rules may be found this or maybe other websites. None of the games will play on Iphone, smartphones or tablets. None of the games even use a mouse. All input is keyboard input by either selecting and row and column or by using arrow key to move a cursor and pressing ENTER to select a piece or position. I don't know if uploading the games here will violate any rules. I want to share my games with others to play.The games should run run in Windows 7 and older OS. I would like feedback and comments and questions. Thank you for your time. Donald
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Herron
United States
Bethel
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
♜ ♞ ♝ ♛ ♚ ♝ ♞ ♜ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟
badge
♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♖ ♘ ♗ ♕ ♔ ♗ ♘ ♖
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

Sounds interesting! I love retro computing.

I personally use DropBox (referral link) for hosting such things. It's really easy to upload things and share them with people on the web -- it would probably be the easiest way for you to share them with people here in the BGG forums.

I know I would be interested in trying them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Caligari
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most web hosting sites allow for ftp access to files, so you could build a web page and let users download the games from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also create a version within the game of the VGG database for each your programs.

Provide a link to your webpage within game section "Web Links" in VGG database. Don't use off site links in the version itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldfoster wrote:
None of the games will play on Iphone, smartphones or tablets.

Did you try the original gwbasic versions in dosbox? If they run in dosbox they will run on Android smartphones and tablets because there is an excellent dosbox port to Android.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smith
United Kingdom
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Open source them and put them on github?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Foster
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
My games don't require dosbox to run. I have them uploaded at Yahoo group Tandy_Computers. I have downloaded them onto my Windows 7 laptop and directly play them from Windows. QB64 supports 64 bit OS. I assumed they won't run on phones and tablets because of the controls the games use. The controls are letters, numbers, arrow keys, backspace and enter keys. I would like to upload some of them here if I'm allowed to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldfoster wrote:
My games don't require dosbox to run. I have them uploaded at Yahoo group Tandy_Computers. I have downloaded them onto my Windows 7 laptop and directly play them from Windows. QB64 supports 64 bit OS. I assumed they won't run on phones and tablets because of the controls the games use. The controls are letters, numbers, arrow keys, backspace and enter keys. I would like to upload some of them here if I'm allowed to.

I noticed that QB64 runs on OSX and Linux and Android as well. Interesting.

There are smartphones with hardware keyboard, but also configurable software keyboards that are quite useful to play games, at least on tablets where there is more room for virtual keys. Most phones and tablets also support bluetooth keyboards or even USB keyboards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Foster
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I should try to download onto a tablet sometime to see how it would work. Also you can go into QB64 options and set it for android. I have uploaded some screenshots of some of my games in my Gallery if anyone wants to take a look at some of them. I'm still trying to complete more games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Woodward
United States
Bowling Green
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd definitely be interested as well. I'm not sure about posting here, but I agree that dropbox is a good alternative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Foster
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I uploaded one my games here and it was accepted. The game is Inside Moves.
You can find it by searching Camelot, which is the original game from the 1800's. in 1984 the name was changed to Inside Moves. and the pieces are redesigned. you can find the game and the rules in the file section of Camelot board game. It uses arrow keys to move the cursor and ENTER to select a piece or board position. BACKSPACE will allow you to change your mind after selecting a piece and let you select another piece instead. Hope you enjoy playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldfoster wrote:
I uploaded one my games here and it was accepted. The game is Inside Moves.
You can find it by searching Camelot, which is the original game from the 1800's. in 1984 the name was changed to Inside Moves. and the pieces are redesigned. you can find the game and the rules in the file section of Camelot board game. It uses arrow keys to move the cursor and ENTER to select a piece or board position. BACKSPACE will allow you to change your mind after selecting a piece and let you select another piece instead. Hope you enjoy playing.

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

markup / result
[gameid=5251] Camelot

[filepage=103142][/filepage] Inside Moves board game computer version

Other markup techniques at: Forum Formatting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Foster
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I see you found it. Have you tried playing it yet?. Also if you click on my profile, you can go to my gallery and see some of the screen shots of some of my games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldfoster wrote:
I see you found it. Have you tried playing it yet?. Also if you click on my profile, you can go to my gallery and see some of the screen shots of some of my games.

The truth here is that the admins goofed. The game should be a version and file in the VGG database.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Foster
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
He placed it Same place where I uploaded it at. What is VGG? Video games? I uploaded where the actual board game is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Foster
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I upload another of my board games. Rubik's Magic Strategy Game can be found in Rubik's Tac Toe board game file section. I also uploaded the rules. The mediator has not posted them yet. Try it out and let me know what you think. I originally wrote it over 25 years ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
herace wrote:
donaldfoster wrote:

The truth here is that the admins goofed. The game should be a version and file in the VGG database.

donaldfoster wrote:
He placed it Same place where I uploaded it at. What is VGG? Video games? I uploaded where the actual board game is.

If you look at the header for the site there are three tabs -

Board Games - Board game database
RPGs - Role playing game database
Video Games - VGG (Video Game Geek), a database of video games.

Since your implementation is a computer program it is a video game.

The geek website separated out all the video games into the VGG database. Think of it this way - a video game has a hardware platform. and computers as a hardware platform have an operating system. Boardgames don't have either of these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.