Seth Iniguez
United States
Idaho Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geez, you can't even stone gay people to death without those uppity liberals making a big stink about it.

Thanks Obama!
Quote:
Sir Richard Branson, the founder and CEO of the Virgin group, a £15 billion multinational conglomerate, announced Saturday that he, and his company, would boycott hotels owned by the Sultan of Brunei due to the country’s anti-gay laws.

http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2014/05/virgin-ceo-announces-boyc...

Free market at work, or an unreasonable infringement of the Sultan of Brunei's freedom of speech? Umm, assuming speech includes executing homosexuals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lurch Adams
msg tools
Liberals ruin everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neon Joe, Werewolf He-yump
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
First they came for the bigots' hotel interests, and I didn't speak out, because I was not a hotel-owning bigot...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Sutehk wrote:
Geez, you can't even stone gay people to death without those uppity liberals making a big stink about it.

Thanks Obama!

What does Obama think of the Sultan, anyway.

Should we check with Obama's official website, Whitehouse.gov? Let's do it.

PRESIDENT OBAMA: Well, it is a great pleasure to welcome my good friend, His Majesty the Sultan of Brunei. The Sultan and I had the opportunity to get to know each other from a series of multilateral meetings, particularly the ASEAN East Asia Summit meeting. He is a key leader in the Southeast Asia region but also widely respected around the world.

And part of the reason that we thought now was a good time for a meeting here in the Oval Office is because His Majesty will be hosting the next ASEAN East Asia Summit meeting in Brunei this October. There are a range of issues that we’ve worked on together, and that should be no surprise because the friendship between the United States and Brunei actually dates back 160 years.

His Majesty himself has led his country for 40 years now and he’s gone through nine U.S. Presidents. I won’t ask him which one was his favorite -- (laughter) -- but our interest in having a strong, peaceful, prosperous Asia Pacific region is something that we share.

And so at the ASEAN East Asia Summit, we will be discussing a wide range of issues -- everything from how we deal with issues of energy and climate change to how we expand commerce, potentially through the Trans-Pacific Partnership that has the opportunity of creating jobs and prosperity here in the United States but also throughout the region.

We’ll be discussing maritime issues. Obviously there have been a lot of tensions in the region around maritime issues and His Majesty has shown great leadership in trying to bring the countries together to make sure that everybody is abiding by the basic precepts of rule of law and international standards so that conflicts can be resolved peacefully and effectively, and that everybody is brought into that kind of structure.

We’ve also had a chance to work together on educational issues. His Majesty himself and Brunei have helped to finance a number of English language instructors so that more youth in the Southeast Asia region are learning English, which obviously can help to expand commerce, but also strengthen the ties between the United States and the region.

And we’re also going to be doing, for the first time, a joint ASEAN-U.S.-Chinese joint exercises around disaster and humanitarian relief, which points to the fact that our militaries, that are extraordinarily capable, and the bilateral military relationship between the United States and Brunei has the capacity to help people in times of need and to try to help avoid conflict rather than start conflict.

So, overall, I’m very grateful for His Majesty’s outstanding leadership and his friendship. I’m glad that he’s had a chance to visit. He got here yesterday and flew in his own 747, meaning he actually piloted it himself. I think he’s probably the only head of state in the world who flies a 747 himself. And so in case Air Force One pilots have problems, we know who to consult. (Laughter.)

And my understanding is tomorrow he’s going to have an opportunity to take his family up to New York, where we’re going to encourage him to do some shopping because we want to continue to strengthen the U.S. economy. (Laughter.)

So, Your Majesty, it’s wonderful to see you. Thank you so much.
http://m.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2013/03/12/remarks-...
So it's not Obama's fault, he is in fact supporting this rich persons freedom of belief?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

Since when is POTUS disallowed from maintaining good relations with totalitarian regimes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Simon Mueller wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

Since when is POTUS disallowed from maintaining good relations with praising totalitarian regimes?

Never.

I find it interesting that Obama goes out of his way to praise this tyrant. You don't.

Now THAT'S a surprise.

I think Obama goes out of his way to coddle Muslim tyrants. This is a case in point. I think his upbringing made him sympathetic (perhaps tolerant is a better word) to Muslim extremists, he is of a notion that sharia law is not evil it is simply cultural.

You probably disagree.
Why is it a surprise, it's what all US presidents do. It would have been a surprise and had spoken out against dictatorial regimes that is was in Americas strategic interest to keep happy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
I think Obama goes out of his way to coddle Muslim tyrants.

"The resistance of the Afghan freedom fighters is an example to all the world of the invincibility of the ideals we in this country hold most dear, the ideals of freedom and independence." - Ronald Reagan, Proclamation 5034, Afghanistan Day, 1983

(http://www.reagan.utexas.edu/archives/speeches/1983/32183d.h...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Sutehk wrote:

Thanks Obama!
Quote:
Sir Richard Branson, the founder and CEO of the Virgin group, a £15 billion multinational conglomerate, announced Saturday that he, and his company, would boycott hotels owned by the Sultan of Brunei due to the country’s anti-gay laws.

http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2014/05/virgin-ceo-announces-boyc...

Free market at work, or an unreasonable infringement of the Sultan of Brunei's freedom of speech? Umm, assuming speech includes executing homosexuals.

Well, stoning gay people to try and kill them just doesn't work. That gay guy next door smokes so much pot I'm not sure I've ever seen him sober and he's alive and kicking.
arrrh

Yes, in case it wasn't obvious, that's meant as humor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Simon Mueller wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

Since when is POTUS disallowed from maintaining good relations with praising totalitarian regimes?

Never.

I find it interesting that Obama goes out of his way to praise this tyrant. You don't.

Now THAT'S a surprise.

I think Obama goes out of his way to coddle Muslim tyrants. This is a case in point. I think his upbringing made him sympathetic (perhaps tolerant is a better word) to Muslim extremists, he is of a notion that sharia law is not evil it is simply cultural.

You probably disagree.

It seems to me that there are two main ways you can influence governments that you don't like. You can threaten to beat the crap out of them, or you can be friendly and try to show them that your ways are preferable to theirs. Unless someone is actually attacking you, the second approach is as reasonable (if not more so) than the first.

I'm not saying that's Obama's approach to Brunei or other "Muslim tyrants," as you term them. But it's at least as plausible an explanation as your "sympathetic" theory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
...meaningless diplomatic niceties... outrage

I want to play Diplomacy with you, because I assume you will tell all your tenuous allies exactly when you plan to attack them and elucidate your actual goals whenever you interact with any player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
ExcitingJeff wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
...meaningless diplomatic niceties... outrage

I want to play Diplomacy with you, because I assume you will tell all your tenuous allies exactly when you plan to attack them and elucidate your actual goals whenever you interact with any player.

I have an pproach in Diplomacy I've found works very well. I say upfront that I will keep to my agreements just so long as in the game it is in my interests to do so, and I expect the same from my opponents. Then I pitch the other player on why doing what I want is in their own interests without threatening. I have even convinced players I was doing them a favor and that they'll pay me back later in the game.

As I recall, in my first game, it ended with three remaining players. I won. One of the two guys owed me two favors when I won and the other guy owed with some more. I'd never collected on any of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.