United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
A fantastic university for studying...
badge
SPACE!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had the base game, and have had it for quite some time now - maybe two years. In that time, I have played Dominion quite a bit, and tried out many, many different card combinations. But each time I save up enough for a game, I generally pick a new game, or an expansion to one of my other favorites. But Dominion has itself stopped being as enjoyable as it used to be, with a lack of new strategies to employ and experiment with.

For a while now I've also heard that the expansions can be quite interesting, and instead of being repetitive, really do add something to the game. So I ask you: which Dominion expansions do you recommend most, and in what order should I get them, given that I only have the base game currently?

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oliver
United States
Argyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My personal favorites are Intrigue and Prosperity, even more than the base game itself.

My wife's favorite is Seaside.

I like lots of money and lots of points. I especially like cards that give points based on other cards. Like the Duke is worth 1 point per Duchy and Gardens are worth 1 point per 10 cards in your deck. Or Victory/Action cards, like the Nobles.

My wife likes multiple actions and cards. She is know to string together +cards/+action cards.

Although not as popular, I like a couple of cards in Alchemy to make it worth a buy, for me. Philosopher's Stone...

Hopefully, that gives you an idea of what we like, versus what you might like, and might point you in the right direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MP
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
I had to spend this geek gold on something
mbmbmbmbmb
Seaside is my personal favorite as well, followed by Prosperity

I'm not a fan of alchemy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Seaside and Prosperity are both excellent. The one I like the least is Intrigue as I find the cards in it give the game more "take that" than I want in Dominion. (So it works fine for 2-player but with more I rarely use it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Steward
United States
Kent
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seaside and Prosperity are the best bets for the first two expansions

- Intrigue First if you are wanting a higher player cap, but the cards are less interesting than the other two sets-

Hinterlands is one of my favorite sets, but I suggest it after Seaside and Prosperity, because of its added complexity.

Stay away from Dark Ages, Cornucopia and Alchemy for awhile. They change the game in a way that is either too complicated or convoluted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Andrew
Indonesia
Bandung
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so far i have Intrigue, Seaside, Hinterlands and Alchemy. and my favorite among them is Hinterlands, followed by Intrigue (though i still prefer base than Intrigue)

Seaside have some of the nastiest attack cards which i tend to keep away from, but the other cards are nice

i want to like Alchemy, but the cards really feel sub-par
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Finseth
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
SPACE!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
sirchadofkent wrote:
They change the game in a way that is either too complicated or convoluted.

As of now, I'm leaning towards Prosperity. That being said, I always have loved complexity!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark Ages gives you the most bang for your buck, having the highest number of kingdom cards of any expansion ... and some of the most interesting ones as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dart
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
"In the beginning, the Earth was without form, and void."
badge
"O I know justice, it's a birthright if you're born right"
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Prosperity and Seaside. Of the smaller expansions, I prefer Guilds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a really great thread that features all of the "which Dominion expansion should I buy next" threads in one place. I spent some time browsing through it when considering mine.

My first two expansions were Seaside and Prosperity. We started by adding Seaside cards in first for a few games, then tried Prosperity. They are both great!

Both expansions introduce extras to the game--tokens and small player mats that are used with particular cards. Some don't like adding extra "fiddly" components to a card game, but we love them!

The first expansion we added in was Seaside. It has a fun theme and a great new mechanic, duration cards, that can lead to some fun power turns. The duration cards offer benefits during your current turn and at the start of your next turn. We haven't had a chance to play with every card yet, but we really like the ones we've tried! Island offers a great way to clear your deck of Victory Cards rather than trashing. Pirate Ship is interesting in that it is used as a nasty attack card early in the game, then later you have to make the choice--whether to use it as an attack or to increase your buying power. Native Village lets you save up for a potentially large turn. These are just a few examples of the many interesting cards this set offers.

Prosperity is all about big points and big money--you feel rich playing with those cards! For us, the games run a bit longer with Prosperity cards, but we like that it does. It gives a new treasure card, Platinum, which provides a purchasing power of 5, and a new Victory Card, Colony, worth 10 points. Some cards allow you to accrue victory point tokens during the game that don't clog up your deck like Victory Cards do. The Kingdom Cards can be pricier, but they have pretty cool benefits. I highly recommend this one.

Once you've tried expanded Dominion, you'll probably want even more! Since playing these two expansion sets, I've since purchased Intrigue, Hinterlands, and Cornucopia. I haven't played them, so I can't weigh in too much on the matter. Intrigue's main theme is cards that give you choices. It also introduces cards that function as both treasures and victory cards. Hinterlands is a more complex set I wouldn't recommend starting with. There are some very interesting cards that let you gain additional cards, building up your deck. Cornucopia is also considered to be a bit more complex, and probably isn't best to start with. It's main theme is rewarding a varied deck, so it changes up the usual strategy of focusing on specific card combinations. We tend to buy a little bit of everything sometimes, so I thought this set would be a good one for us.

I don't have them as of yet, but Guilds, Dark Ages, and Alchemy all seem very intriguing as well. Guilds adds the idea of gaining and saving one-use coins, so there is more to think about...do you spend it all now or save them up for a big turn later? Dark Ages is the opposite of Prosperity, and players feel poor. Apparently this set is all about trashing cards. Alchemy, from what I've read, is about big action chains, but it's a controversial set. I don't think I'd recommend starting with any of these, though I say that only based on research, not on actually having played them.

So, to sum up, I would recommend starting with either Seaside, Prosperity, or Intrigue. All three if possible! Seaside and Prosperity if you can only get two. If only one...that's a tough call.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter van der Helm
Netherlands
Deventer
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Prosperity
+1 Seaside
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This question needs some kind of sticky thing because I too had to go find a thread when I was getting Dominion expansions. It's a common question!

Everyone seems to agree, for the most part, that Intrigue, Prosperity and Seaside are the ones to get if you have a choice. I also have Cornucopia but that's because the person selling her set had that one too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As everyone else has been saying you can't go far wrong with Intrigue, Prosperity or Seaside.

Intrigue adds some interesting cards, but doesn't really change the base game too much.

Prosperity adds higher value money (Platinum worth 5 money) and high value victory cards (Colony). I personally love Prosperity as it encourages playing with lots of money, and screwing people doing that. It also adds victory point tokens, which stop VPs clogging up your deck.

Seaside adds cards that stay in play until your next turn and give you benefits that turn too. It's a very fun expansion and well worth getting hold of.

If you are just considering a small set then go for guilds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Fish
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The first one I got was Intrigue, and that one continues to be my favorite. Lots of attack cards, and I love the multiple-category cards (Victory-Treasure, Victory-Action). The extra base cards to allow you to play 5-6 player games, which is kind of nice for flexibility, but Dominion is really a better game with 2-3 than with 5-6.

Properity is pretty good, although I find it makes the game longer, which I don't necessarily like.

Just got Hinterlands and haven't figured it out yet, so no comment.

People generally recommend Seaside quite a bit, but it adds cards that stay on the table between turns. I've resisted getting it because I don't know if I like that idea in Dominion.

Several people have strongly recommended Dark Ages to me - they've said they think this is the most interesting/fun version of Dominion. Of all the expansions, it is the largest, and it also changes the game most dramatically. It is the one expansion that almost makes it a different game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sevier
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have everything but Dark Ages.

For me, they go in this order:

Hinterlands
Seaside
Prosperity
Cornucopia
Intrigue
Alchemy

I don't have anything against Alchemy, really. It's fun, but you're either playing with Alchemy or you're not. You have very limited ability to integrate a single card or two into a broader mix, which means it comes out less as a whole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, expansions add a lot of replayability to Dominion. Even adding one makes the game quite a bit more enjoyable.

I recommend staying away from the small expansions and looking at the full sized ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found it! All 158 "Which Dominion Expansion Should I Get Next?" Threads. Lots of helpful advice here! I think you'll find a lot of the responses echo what you see here.

Also, this is a quote from the game designer found in this geeklist on his personal recommendation of where to start:

"I specifically made Intrigue to be the first expansion, and saved Prosperity for 3rd (4th because Alchemy got pushed ahead) so that you had time to get used to not having Colony before getting it. And then the sets get more complex later. So you might think I would just say, go in order, shifting Alchemy to last. However! I feel like I got better at making sets as of Seaside; the main set and Intrigue both have a greater number of uh weak / narrow cards. So I would say, get Seaside."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron D
United States
Erie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Seaside.

Prosperity is also a great set but 3 reasons I would choose Seaside over it as a first expansion. 1st is that while the colony's and platinums are fun they are really just another layer of he same thing you are already doing. That leads to the second reason and that in my experience, the prosperity games tend to take longer due to the extra layer. Third and most important reason IMO is that duration cards are the most fun cards developed.

Also the small box expansion of Guilds and Cornocopia are also fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alicialaura wrote:
I found it! All 158 "Which Dominion Expansion Should I Get Next?" Threads. Lots of helpful advice here! I think you'll find a lot of the responses echo what you see here.

Also, this is a quote from the game designer found in this geeklist on his personal recommendation of where to start:

"I specifically made Intrigue to be the first expansion, and saved Prosperity for 3rd (4th because Alchemy got pushed ahead) so that you had time to get used to not having Colony before getting it. And then the sets get more complex later. So you might think I would just say, go in order, shifting Alchemy to last. However! I feel like I got better at making sets as of Seaside; the main set and Intrigue both have a greater number of uh weak / narrow cards. So I would say, get Seaside."

Great ressource, now we only need the hybrid version a human being can manage to read.
The summarize chart and
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
´s comments are pretty cool though! Thanks for posting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Finseth
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
SPACE!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the responses, folks! I keep being persuaded between Intrigue and Prosperity, and I think I've finally settled on the Intrigue expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You really, really need to get Seaside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.