Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arthur Rutyna
United States
Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me start by saying I'm only lightly aware of the Avenger and X-Men universe, whatever I've seen in movies and cartoons on TV. The thing that doesn't make sense to me is basically two different sets of Super Heroes fighting each other instead of the bad guys. Does this make thematic sense??? How does that carry over to the game play?

Thanks!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave M
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to understand that comics have so many universes and alternate realities and all sorts of other craziness that literally anything can happen and much of it HAS happened. That said, I haven't read much marvel, so while I know that this exists, I don't know much else.

Here're some details on A vs. X:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avengers_vs._X-Men
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Perez
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
Soon in retail !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
walterskinnerFBI wrote:
You have to understand that comics have so many universes and alternate realities and all sorts of other craziness that literally anything can happen and much of it HAS happened. That said, I haven't read much marvel, so while I know that this exists, I don't know much else.

Here're some details on A vs. X:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avengers_vs._X-Men

Bad idea to give that link. He'll notice that this game isn't based on AvX at all despite what the title indicates.

But yes, it is true that heroes often find themselves in circumstances where they end-up fighting each other, because of a misunderstanding, because they're mind-controlled, because they both think they are in the right, etc...
And AvX, despite being absent as a theme from this game, is a good example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Marvel universe, it can be hard to tell the good guys from the bad guys. Many groups are opposed to each other due to political ideologies, philosophical differences, and even long standing personal grudges.

For example, Bruce Banner is a scientists whose studies into gamma rays make him periodically transform into one of the most dangerous monsters alive. However, he's managed to keep enough control over it that this "Hulk" fights on the side of good most of the time.

Jean Grey is a mutant at the Xavier Institute, whose powers are so far advanced that they've occasionally gone out of her control. Despite her good heart and good intentions, she is one of the most powerful mutants on earth and has the abilities of telekinisis and telepathy! She has occasionally been taken over by an alien force that threatened the whole planet.

How do you think the government feels about these two individuals allowed loose in the world? Don't you think they'd want to influence them, to contain them, to study them, or to control them? Do you think there would be teams of government agencies trained to take them out?

Let's look at another example. Magneto. He's kind of the quintessential bad guy because he has an utter lack of empathy for human beings. He believes in war, and in fact, relishes, welcomes it, believing that destiny is on his side. He's a natural leader, is very powerful, and is not afraid to use that power in violation of human law and governments that mean nothing to him. Yet, what is his master agenda? Ultimately, to be left alone. He has no desire for conquest, believing the human race can do a fine job of wiping themselves out. His ultimate goal is the protection of mutant kind, and frequently has welcomes - even saved - the lives of his so-called enemies, the X-men. He's frequently let them live, offering them sanctuary and forgiveness if they ever come around to his philosophical beliefs and realize that they were wrong to fight alongside the treacherous humans. Consequently, there have quite a few mutants who have gone back and forth between Xavier's X-men and Magneto's Brotherhood over the years, sometimes heroes and sometimes villains, but without necessarily being good or evil.

By pretty much anyone's standards, Wolverine is a good guy. A hero. An X-man. Yet, he's little more than a feral animal much of the time, and he'd be the first to tell you that he's dangerous to be around and better off on his own. He was created in a government lab by some very nefarious people, who were a shadow agency of a government that now often comes to the X-men for help. He has few qualms about killing people and is very violent, but he works to control that violence as best he can, and use his killer instincts to protect the innocent.

Thor is from freakin' Asgard. Yes, he comes to help out, but he's not human and he's got his own agenda. He doesn't work for the police, or for the government, or for anybody -- he does whatever the hell he wants. Who's to stop him if he should ever turn on us? I imagine that must be some anti-Thor hate groups out there, and more than a few of them may have superpowered beings of one kind or another.

Look how the goverment turned against Tony Stark in his recent movies! He did nothing wrong, but they still wanted some way to control Iron Man, and he fought back.

Eventually, push leads to shove, shove leads to energy blasts, and all hell breaks loose.

And then we get the Marvel Civil War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Piloka
msg tools
watch the avengers movie you will see super heros fighting each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't make thematic sense. It doesn't carry over into gameplay. Now that thought is out of your head, enjoy the game because its fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cattlemark
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
It's simply called Avengers vs X-Men for marketing, no other reason whatsoever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All dice hate all other dice. Nobody knows why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Collier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skrulls are alien beings that can take on the form of superheroes and so you get Spidey vs Spidey etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Malone
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
inuitmyth909 wrote:
Skrulls are alien beings that can take on the form of superheroes and so you get Spidey vs Spidey etc.

Those flarkin' Skrulls, making our heroes turn on each other. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.