American Rails» Forums » General

Subject: Best way to buy in the US? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Winston Smith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm glad to see that American Rails has found a big-name publisher and so is back in print (though I preferred the look of the Games on the Brain version board to the Quined version). I'd like to get a copy but haven't really seen it at any of the usual outlets in the US, and my FLGS said none of their distributors could supply it. So, what is the best advice? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
I purchased my copy from https://www.gamesurplus.com/ although it is back ordered now which doesn't help you much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Hammermueller
United States
Cedar Grove
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like www.quined.nl still has it in stock for 35 Euros plus shipping, that's how I got my copy. I also have the original games on the brain edition that I'd be willing to sell/trade if you're interested in that although it does have a paper map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Harrison
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.gamesonthebrain.com
badge
www.gamesonthebrain.com
The Quined edition was only licensed for distribution in Europe.

GameSurplus brought a few copies over after Essen, but I doubt they'll be getting more.

Your best bet is to buy it in the BGG marketplace or from a shop in Europe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GamesOnTheBrain wrote:

GameSurplus brought a few copies over after Essen, but I doubt they'll be getting more.

Any particular reason for that doubt? GamesSurplus does seem to make a habit of steadily streaming in a few import copies of games from time to time. Though I confess to not knowing how they decide what to get. No guarantees of when or if, but stuff available in Europe pops up there from time to time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Harrison
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.gamesonthebrain.com
badge
www.gamesonthebrain.com
jasonwocky wrote:
GamesOnTheBrain wrote:

Any particular reason for that doubt? GamesSurplus does seem to make a habit of steadily streaming in a few import copies of games from time to time. Though I confess to not knowing how they decide what to get. No guarantees of when or if, but stuff available in Europe pops up there from time to time.

No particular reason other than it's been backordered there for quite a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Winston Smith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks to everyone! for the prompt and informative replies -- really getting spoiled by the service here on BGG. The BGG marketplace does look reasonable at the moment, so someone must be importing the game with at least a few copies; when the time comes I'll probably go that way.

But it now makes me wonder: Tim, how did it come about that only a distribution in Europe is in print? Without revealing any trade secrets, are you working on getting a publisher for distribution in the US? or is that somehow ruled out in the deal with Quined?

Anyway, it does seem a little odd thematically for a game with "American" in the title not to be for sale in the US. From what I can see it looks like a great design! very well thought-out, and I would like to see AR get a higher profile here on the BGG, so I hope it goes into wider distribution soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Harrison
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.gamesonthebrain.com
badge
www.gamesonthebrain.com
Lightship wrote:
But it now makes me wonder: Tim, how did it come about that only a distribution in Europe is in print? Without revealing any trade secrets, are you working on getting a publisher for distribution in the US? or is that somehow ruled out in the deal with Quined?

Quined only asked for European rights, so that's what they got.

I've had a few other publishers offer to publish the game, but I haven't found the right fit. I also once thought about Kickstarting it myself, but I'm more interested in working on new games and publishing them right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
GamesOnTheBrain wrote:
... but I'm more interested in working on new expansion maps for American Rails and publishing them right now.

I think this is what you meant to say...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Harrison
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.gamesonthebrain.com
badge
www.gamesonthebrain.com
Stunke wrote:
GamesOnTheBrain wrote:
... but I'm more interested in working on new expansion maps for American Rails and publishing them right now.

Great observation... Oh how young children change your life!

I may still do that one day. My game group has changed considerably since 2009 though. They're not really into train games, making playtesting difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sturk
United States
Hudson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GamesOnTheBrain wrote:
Stunke wrote:
GamesOnTheBrain wrote:

Great observation... Oh how young children change your life!

Yes they do! I have 2 little ones myself. Free time is squeaked out during naps and by staying up later than I should.

GamesOnTheBrain wrote:

I may still do that one day. My game group has changed considerably since 2009 though. They're not really into train games, making playtesting difficult.

I think you'd get a lot of volunteers here to help playtest, but I appreciate having hands on playtesting with a group you are familiar with.

I'm considering making some custom maps for my AI program.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
Age of Industry has a similar sort of basic system, where it's very easy to make new maps and add on special rules, because the basic rules scaffold is to simple.

The BGG store recently released 4 new fan-made maps for Age of Industry, endorsed by Wallace and Treefrog so right now a single fan has spurred a lot of interest in AoI. And generated sales too...

It struck me that American Rails could easily be ported to other locations and other times at will. As long as the cube count/stock count is the same or lower than the base game, all it takes is a new map board and you got yourself an expansion map.

Of course, this all hinges on the designer taking the time to test the maps. Either that or making a deal between the original designer, the person(s) designing the expansion maps and the publisher to make sure that it's kosher to release expansions for the game.

It just struck me that one of the things I enjoy very much about Age of Industry is that there are now 8 maps and you only need to know one complete -but small- ruleset, plus a little extra. 2 of the maps are even specifically designed for 2 players (and are VERY good!) while the other expansion maps are 3-5. None of the maps feel the same and you are easily looking at 10 plays per map before any kind of pattern emerges, which is not the same as saying it's repetitive. What works so well is that locations and infrastructure is a major component of how the game works, which it shares with American Rails, so the maps don't feel the same at all, and I think that feeling can be conveyed to American Rails as well.

I think it's a tremendously good game and I'd love to see expansion maps for it.

TL;DR: make a deal with some excited fans, if the deal is right, I'm certain someone would love to create some expansion maps for American Rails.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Harrison
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.gamesonthebrain.com
badge
www.gamesonthebrain.com
Stunke wrote:
TL;DR: make a deal with some excited fans, if the deal is right, I'm certain someone would love to create some expansion maps for American Rails.

I'd happily support fan-made expansion maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Winston Smith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Stunke wrote:
I think it's a tremendously good game and I'd love to see expansion maps for it.

Of course, circling back to the original point, there can/will be a much larger set of excited fans if/when the game can be made available in the US. Seriously, Tim, it looks like a great product! and deserves much wider exposure. I really hope you can close a deal for a US publisher/distributor, or turn it over to someone you trust who can do the work required. (Maybe we should start a petition drive?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Harrison
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.gamesonthebrain.com
badge
www.gamesonthebrain.com
Lightship wrote:
Stunke wrote:

Of course, circling back to the original point, there can/will be a much larger set of excited fans if/when the game can be made available in the US. Seriously, Tim, it looks like a great product! and deserves much wider exposure. I really hope you can close a deal for a US publisher/distributor, or turn it over to someone you trust who can do the work required. (Maybe we should start a petition drive?)

Maybe someday!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another option to consider (that I would think would be pretty cheap for you) is to sell PnP files for the game as your own publisher. It's a lot less outlay than making games, managing inventory, and all that other stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Palframan
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The train-game fan in our gaming group was really excited about this one. I got my first play of it yesterday and it was a lot of fun! I might be slightly biased because I came out ahead in the end, but the combination of simple choices and neat mechanics makes this game a winner!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.