Popular Tags: product_placement [+] [View All]
Michael Gunn
United States
Grantsville
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did anyone else watch the latest episode of Silicon Valley on HBO (5/4/14), entitled "Signaling Risk"? In it, Erlich Bachman walks through the house with a board game in his hand and places it prominently on top of a shelf. The cover of the game is very clear. It is Arctic Scavengers. How cool is that, that HBO's newest hit comedy would feature a non-Monopoly/Game of Life type game in it? Kudos to Robert K. Gabhart for getting your game on an HBO series! Congratulations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninja

Holy Crap! I literally have the episode on pause right now at that scene, because I saw the game and had to post something here. Massive obvious product placement. I'd love to know who's responsible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gunn
United States
Grantsville
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mbialeck wrote:
:ninja:

Holy Crap! I literally have the episode on pause right now at that scene, because I saw the game and had to post something here. Massive obvious product placement. I'd love to know who's responsible.

We all said holy crap when we saw the game on Silicon Valley too. I'm wondering who the gamer is on that set. Also, if you notice, just after that scene there is another game sitting on a computer desk that appears to be Caveman: the Quest for Fire, but that wasn't nearly as prominent as Bachman standing in the scene with Arctic Scavengers for a good ten seconds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Cavanna
United States
Scarsdale
New York
flag msg tools
In the prior week's episode, there was a shot early on that included Power Grid and Puerto Rico in the background.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Magoulis
United States
Safety Harbor
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, this obviously means the new expansion is back on, right?!... Right? :\

Also, don't know if this counts as a "game", but Perplexus gets a lot of screen time in a few episodes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blair
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I need to try this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert K Gabhart
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
That is so cool! Can someone post a screenshot?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Snyder
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the Reddit thread.

http://imgur.com/3xZPekN

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Tummelson
United States
Placitas
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer the question: Rio Grande Games is responsible. We have hired a firm that specializes in product placement on TV shows. This is just one of the appearances for Arctic Scavengers.

Jay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, pretty awesome! Rio Grande must be doing really well if they can afford TV product placement! Let's hope this helps push the expansion forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ryan
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jay!
And yes, Scott - let's hope this is a good omen for getting the Deception expansion printed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Tummelson
United States
Placitas
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a short note: the decision for Deception will be based on sales not on product placement. We are using product placement to enhance sales, but so far, we have seen little impact on AS sales due to the placements. Thanks

Jay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Morgan
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious to know whether there was any agreement on the placement of Rio Grand Games in general. It seemed as though the Silicon Valley producers went out of their way to block the RGG logo, while showing the Arctic Scavengers box art and logo clearly. Was this just a creative decision on their part, or was the publisher logo not part of your product placement deal? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lyerly
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Thanks so much for the disclosure. It's wonderful to learn more about what's going on behind the scenes. Have you reached out to Kumail Nanjiani & Emily Gordon at Indoor Kids? Kumail is one of the stars of 'Silicon Valley' and is also a host of the Indoor Kids podcast on the Nerdist network. They've just recently started covering tabletop gaming as well as video gaming. Would be a great title for them to try. Thanks again for sharing. Hope you see that sales spike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Noakes
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
riogames wrote:
Just a short note: the decision for Deception will be based on sales not on product placement. We are using product placement to enhance sales, but so far, we have seen little impact on AS sales due to the placements. Thanks

Jay

Well, sales might be higher if there were copies of the game available. I've been looking to pick up Arctic Scavengers off of the review on "Shut Up and Sit Down", but the game's nowhere to be found in the UK; at least, I haven't been able to find a copy.

-Mike

PS. Is there any credible market research to suggest product placement of an obscure hobby game is likely to boost sales?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Tummelson
United States
Placitas
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
In answer to Mike's question about availability in the UK. The only distributor who now distributes our games in the UK has been keeping the game available there since it released, albeit in small numbers - based on demand from their retail customers. If it is not available in UK retail stores, it is because they have chosen not to stock the game. Although I do not know the reason, it is quite reasonable to suspect that poor sales of the game have led to their decision.

Jay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Black III
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
riogames wrote:
To answer the question: Rio Grande Games is responsible. We have hired a firm that specializes in product placement on TV shows. This is just one of the appearances for Arctic Scavengers.

Jay

This is a cool thing, Jay. What else have you got? We've only seen the one appearance. With this audience (here on BGG, and on reddit), you can easily increase the buzz around the game by dropping hints at where we can see the game show up in the media.

Feed us some information. We're hungry for more.

I, for one, have become a rabid fan of this game in the month since I learned about it from SU&SD. I now host twice-weekly games with friends of mine at a local coffee shop, and recommend the game two or three times per week on reddit (where Arctic Scavengers is my flair, no less). And my FLGS now has a copy on the shelves, which it didn't before.

I'm just saying, buzz is good. Leverage your investments, in both the advertisements and the game itself. If you're paying for it, and you're trying to get more people excited about the game... If you've been putting the game out there, and we haven't seen it, tell us where we can find it. We really want to stay excited, and get more people excited, about this game.

Thanks,
Ray
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonya ~
United States
California
flag msg tools
That cameo on Silicon Valley seems to be spurring some new curiosity about Arctic Scavengers. It's back on The Hotness list, one space below Recon Strategy (I don't even know what to say about that!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gusgus mcgee

granite falls
Washington
msg tools
great stuff. this game will not fade away like lesser games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to say that a few more copies are trickling into UK stores and I've finally managed to order a copy!

I think there is a communication issue, as it's in pretty high demand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Noakes
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
benosteen wrote:
Just to say that a few more copies are trickling into UK stores and I've finally managed to order a copy!

I think there is a communication issue, as it's in pretty high demand.

Yeah, some kind of gate's been opened: following the advice above, I contacted Paul at boardgameguru, and he says he's got a bunch of copies coming in for Monday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
riogames wrote:
In answer to Mike's question about availability in the UK. The only distributor who now distributes our games in the UK has been keeping the game available there since it released, albeit in small numbers - based on demand from their retail customers. If it is not available in UK retail stores, it is because they have chosen not to stock the game. Although I do not know the reason, it is quite reasonable to suspect that poor sales of the game have led to their decision.

Jay

Sorry Jay but your european distribution strategies simply suck. Also having spoken to some non-nerd game stores the new RGG dominion again sucks. The box artwork sucks, the base game sucks, guilds artwork sucks. Having not managed to translate AS to German sucks. Finding AS only at bravenewworld (a niche distributor in Germany, offering victory point games and other small publishers) sucks. BGG marketplace offer/demand also shows the diatribution suckage. It is good that you ramp up marketing, but even in Canada it took weeks to get restock @ Starlit Citadel. I can already see you not even having a small batch of English and German boxes ready for Spiel 14.

You can find excuses for poor german distribution cause of language (german gamers also in my hand full of different gaming groups simply aint used to buy non translated games) - but i really wonder how you managed to only have one distributor in the UK, e.g. A similar situation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Tummelson
United States
Placitas
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Jo may or may not be right about the artwork on Dominion games - this is a matter of taste. We did get some negative comments about the Guilds cover, but it seems not to have affected sales, which have been quite strong.

As to the comments about distribution and as I have mentioned in another forum, distribution is driven by player interest and nothing else. Unlike some publishers (Z-Man and Mayfair, for example), I do not have exclusive distribution ANYWHERE. Thus, any distributor (or retailer for that matter) is welcome to buy RGG games. The fact that only one UK distributor has done so is because there is only one with interest. I have spoken to others over the years and offered them standard terms, but never received an order, so, for now Esdevium is it in the UK. And, by the way, they buy (and, I presume, sell) quite a large number of RGG games.

As for German localization, I spoke with several German publishers about distributing a localized version of AS before it was published - even delaying a bit for answers - which never came. I have found that the "partner" situation with German publishers is generally a one-way street. They are quite enthusiastic about others localizing their games, but hardly ever show interest in doing the same for a foreign game. I have never had a German publisher be willing to localize a good game, even though RGG and other foreign publishers have localized many good German games. When I say good, I mean good - not great. Great games are easy to get companies to localize. In fact, my experience is that German publishers do this to decrease the cost of their games by requiring their "partners" to print when they do and at their printer - in Germany in the past, but more recently in China and Eastern Europe (to save a few pennies with the resulting lower quality). I often found my orders to be higher than the number of games produced for Germany, meaning RGG and other foreign publishers were subsidizing German publishers and players. When I offer a game like AS, they are usually initially reluctant and when I suggest we will print in the US, they immediately decline, indicating the shipping costs will make the game too expensive. Given that many German publishers refuse to localize games from their "partners" (certainly not all as there are some good exceptions, whom RGG still partners with), I find this attitude not partnership friendly.

Maybe if AS has (or will) become a great game this will change - we shall again test the waters and see.

Jay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.