Subject: price rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Veljko Dobrijevic
Croatia
Split
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is this so bloody expensive ? Way more than Agricola ? Will it go down ?
And why is the pretty redheaded lass on the cover when she doesn't look the least bit dwarfish ? Aren't dwarven women supposed to be short, stocky, bearded and good with an axe (though this applies to some human females as well), not young, sexy, redheaded and wearing skimpy clothing (well I know which I prefer but there's no accounting for tastes) ?
With dwarves, caves, gems AND donkeys anyone who passes this up is crazy !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Enkidu_of_Abydos wrote:
Why is this so bloody expensive ? Way more than Agricola ? Will it go down ?
And why is the pretty redheaded lass on the cover when she doesn't look the least bit dwarfish ? Aren't dwarven women supposed to be short, stocky, bearded and good with an axe (though this applies to some human females as well), not young, sexy, redheaded and wearing skimpy clothing (well I know which I prefer but there's no accounting for tastes) ?
With dwarves, caves, gems AND donkeys anyone who passes this up is crazy !

Its expensive because it's out of print. Even when in print, it's expensive because there are SO MANY PIECES OHMYGOD!!!!

Seriously... component overload... and I love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Veljko Dobrijevic
Croatia
Split
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are games with this many components for much less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Enkidu_of_Abydos wrote:

Name one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ferris1971 wrote:
Enkidu_of_Abydos wrote:

Name one.

He said gameS. He should have to name two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Veljko Dobrijevic
Croatia
Split
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Runewars ? Not much less but less, and with detailed plastic miniatures and not wooden meeples. Not saying the game isn't nice but it's way too expensive at the moment. I hope it goes down when the fanatics have slaked their thirst. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Enkidu_of_Abydos wrote:
Runewars ? Not much less but less, and with detailed plastic miniatures and not wooden meeples. Not saying the game isn't nice but it's way too expensive at the moment. I hope it goes down when the fanatics have slaked their thirst. ninja

Nope. Caverna has more. And Runewars is $80, so not really that much cheaper. I'm not sure what the point is though. Caverna > Runewars in my opinion. It's worth the extra $10 when it comes back in print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Holt
England
Rayleigh
Essex
flag msg tools
This is not the cat you're looking for - some other cat maybe?
badge
tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse
mbmbmbmbmb
Although it seems more expensive than Agricola, by the time you have "pimped" Agricola to the same extent you will have spent as much or more …
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Veljko Dobrijevic
Croatia
Split
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ferris1971 wrote:
Enkidu_of_Abydos wrote:

Nope. Caverna has more. And Runewars is $80, so not really that much cheaper. I'm not sure what the point is though. Caverna > Runewars in my opinion. It's worth the extra $10 when it comes back in print.

63 not 80 I think. Anyway that's not the point.

P.S.
Found Caverna in a shop here for the equivalent of 60$ but sold out at the moment. I knew these prices were too much and jacked up for being so hot.Plus theygive regular discounts and sales.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Enkidu_of_Abydos wrote:
ferris1971 wrote:
Enkidu_of_Abydos wrote:

63 not 80 I think. Anyway that's not the point.

While you are talking price, compare retail to retail. Caverna is $90. Runewars is $80. I'm still not sure what your point is.

Yes its expensive, but component-wise you get pretty good value, and it's amazing game.

If you think THIS game is expensive on a component value basis, steer clear of Nations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Veljko Dobrijevic
Croatia
Split
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Found Runewars new in US store for 53$ and 150$ on Amazon. Jacking up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Enkidu_of_Abydos wrote:

Well yeah... IT'S OUT OF PRINT!!! What part of this are you not getting? Wait for the reprint if it's too hi. Coolstuff has it for pre-order at $80.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andyholt wrote:
Although it seems more expensive than Agricola, by the time you have "pimped" Agricola to the same extent you will have spent as much or more …

And it has FAR more components than Agricola.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Veljko Dobrijevic
Croatia
Split
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ferris1971 wrote:
Enkidu_of_Abydos wrote:

Well yeah... IT'S OUT OF PRINT!!! What part of this are you not getting? Wait for the reprint if it's too hi. Coolstuff has it for pre-order at $80.

It has been reprinted and the 53$ offer is barely a month old. Anyway I'm through diiscussing prices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Mclachlan
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Move to Australia and you get to have everything from OS jacked up in price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Veljko Dobrijevic
Croatia
Split
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol that's a good one ! Anyway look at my flag, I do buy all stuff from the US at jacked up prices considering the shipping and import fees, and salaries here are not like in Australia. And this game is currently jacked up in the US due to rarity and unavailable here. But I can wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hammatt
United Kingdom
Camberley
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not out of print any more though, is it? There's a second printing, or so I thought.

Edit - I see someone already posted this, I should have read the thread properly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
Enkidu_of_Abydos wrote:
And why is the pretty redheaded lass on the cover when she doesn't look the least bit dwarfish ?
Aren't dwarven women supposed to be short, stocky, bearded and good with an axe, not young, sexy, redheaded and wearing skimpy clothing?

The character on the box appears to be short and stocky, and obviously works hard in a cave. I am therefore happy to accept that she is dwarven, regardless of hair colour or beard.

“Skimpy clothing”? On my box, she is fully dressed in robust cave-dwelling type gear.

As you say, there's no accounting for tastes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mayfair won't allow digital distributors to apply less than a 10% discount on any of their products. Price confusion solved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Veljko Dobrijevic
Croatia
Split
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:
Enkidu_of_Abydos wrote:
And why is the pretty redheaded lass on the cover when she doesn't look the least bit dwarfish ?
Aren't dwarven women supposed to be short, stocky, bearded and good with an axe, not young, sexy, redheaded and wearing skimpy clothing?

The character on the box appears to be short and stocky, and obviously works hard in a cave. I am therefore happy to accept that she is dwarven, regardless of hair colour or beard.

“Skimpy clothing”? On my box, she is fully dressed in robust cave-dwelling type gear.

I took another good look at the picture in full size and now see she's wearing a full shirt, before when I was looking at the smaller version I thought she was wearing a braw with a bare belly because her shirt is flesh-colored. Same problem like when people thought Nausicaa in Miyazaki's film was bare-butt.
I still don't see that she's short and stocky. I do see an overly large nose however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Perez
United States
Terrell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is actually one game with a $90 price tag that I won't complain about. The number and quality of components in Caverna definitely place the game in a category deserving of its price tag. I was disappointed with the components of Nations compared to the price tag; great game, but doesn't warrant its price tag. Conversely, I feel I got my money's worth out of Caverna.

And that's not even taking into account demand vs supply, or lack thereof.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
Enkidu_of_Abydos wrote:
Highland Cow wrote:
Enkidu_of_Abydos wrote:

..............I still don't see that she's short and stocky. I do see an overly large nose however.

So now you're having a go at the donkey?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dylan benton
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caverna is worth it's weight in wood, which is about eight pounds if I remember right. I'm pretty sure every print run is actually held up by wood supply issues in Germany. Hence the constant out of print status.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.