Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Leach
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
If you were only ever going to play it two player, I would say stay away. It's playable with two but if you're not close in skill it's a walk over and if you are very close the luck may be too great for most.

Calling it a 'dice game'... I'm not sure what that means. It's got far more than just dice in the game. It probably compares poorly to King of Tokyo in terms of dollars per component but then it is a bigger box and a much deeper and more satisfying game, further it doesn't have Richard Garfield's name to trade on so the print run is probably smaller.

$40 seems really cheap to me I had to pay 50% more to buy it at Essen and I think it's a similar price even now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankly, almost every 2-player game is a direct game of skill, unless you just like to roll yahtzee. Also, almost every 2-player game gets dull after a while, if you're playing it with the same person over and over (unless the game is ever expanding with expansions or is a LCG, etc.).

The game is light in a sense that it's mostly about getting your dice on board and then moving them to attack and conquer. But there's still a lot of options contained in this. I played it several times with 2 and I don't think it's boring, mostly because different map setups and different cards that come into play. There is some luck involved, but that's just how this game is.

Still, it's a 2-4 player game, that scales very well, either for 2 or for 4. If you're looking for rich, deep 2-player specific game, Quantum ,while being a great game, might not be it. But if you plan to play with with 3 or 4 too, then it's a hit as it covers the whole spectrum very well. It's a prime example of how to streamline a space fighting game into few clever mechanics that play remarkably well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
About the price point: it worried me as well, but when you open the box you'll know that you paid a fair price. I has 30 oversized semi-traslucent dice, a buttload of cardboard tiles, two decks of cards, 4 player boards and an insert that works.

Also I found the 2 player games a little boring. But it's absolutely awesome with 3 or 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
rattkin wrote:
[A]lmost every 2-player game gets dull after a while, if you're playing it with the same person over and over (unless the game is ever expanding with expansions or is a LCG, etc.).

I strongly disagree with this, as almost all my gaming is 2-player and we have yet to get bored with any 2-player game ... but I do agree that Quantum is not at its best 2-player. I think my ideal player count would be 3-player or more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howl Jenkins
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
FWIW, I play this with my wife and we enjoy it with 2 players. We play a lot of 2 player games and she got into this one very quick and was beating me in mere minutes . The basic map was kinda boring, but trying different maps made things much more interesting and tactical.

The beautiful thing about this is that you can tailor it to be more interactive with fewer tiles or certain arrangements that force interaction. I think it scales well for 2 players and it has surprising depth for a quick-ish game. It also sets up fast, easy to learn, isn't fiddly, and is nice and streamlined.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.