Subject: The exclusives rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Christensen
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So this game's Kickstarter had some pretty significant exclusives. 2 characters and 32 to 42 cards(depending on how well after campaign funding goes). I guess a small company has got to do what they got to do to get their game funded but this seems like a lot of stuff for people buying the game after the campaign to miss out on.

It seems like people missing out on this kind of stuff will really put a hurt on a tournament scene happening when only around 900 people have access to this content.

What are everyone's thoughts on these exclusives? I personally would have preferred if all the current exclusives were not exclusive at all but just give to backers for a discount and/or free and offered it as an expansion for others. Would you have supported the campaign if this was the case? I also would not be mad in the slightest if the kickstarter exclusives were eventually became available as an expansion. How about you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed it, but didn't get the exclusives. They're probably nice, but I didn't think they were worth the increased cost.

I have no problem with companies making exclusives. It's a proven way of getting people to back you. So since their goals are to get funded, while also giving people what they want, I can't see a problem with it. Additionally, it's a great way for people who backed to show off and brag, which is something they earned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Christensen
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I should have said this in the original post but I backed the game at the exclusive level. Not sure if that makes a difference but just thought I'd mention that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imani Thomas
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
how would this hurt a tournament scene when people don't need to have their own versions of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Christensen
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lathomas64 wrote:
how would this hurt a tournament scene when people don't need to have their own versions of the game?

Are the tournament rules written down some where? Wouldn't you have to bring your own copy to play? Isn't that usually how things work or is the store supposed to provide all copies the tournament?

And if the stores are supposed to provide the materials for the games will you be able to bring your kickstarter exclusive characters and cards and be able to use them?

Or are you saying that since you share the components of a single game with your opponent it doesn't matter if we have the exclusives or not?

Seems like it would be better if both players brought their own sets to use though because what if we both wanted to be the Mad King? also I wouldn't want to share my card decks that had kickstarter exclusives in them because of how rare they are I wouldn't be surprised if people tried to steal them during the game.

I think it is best for a healthy tournament scene if every one has equal access to all the different options in a game. Having exclusives will also prevent some from even buying into the game and this will hurt the growth of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Bragg
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
ClanNatioy wrote:
lathomas64 wrote:

Are the tournament rules written down some where? Wouldn't you have to bring your own copy to play? Isn't that usually how things work or is the store supposed to provide all copies the tournament?

And if the stores are supposed to provide the materials for the games will you be able to bring your kickstarter exclusive characters and cards and be able to use them?

Or are you saying that since you share the components of a single game with your opponent it doesn't matter if we have the exclusives or not?

Seems like it would be better if both players brought their own sets to use though because what if we both wanted to be the Mad King? also I wouldn't want to share my card decks that had kickstarter exclusives in them because of how rare they are I wouldn't be surprised if people tried to steal them during the game.

I think it is best for a healthy tournament scene if every one has equal access to all the different options in a game. Having exclusives will also prevent some from even buying into the game and this will hurt the growth of the game.

This seems highly unlikely. I don't think there will be many tournaments for this game as I don't see it being highly competitive. If there are, I imagine the place hosting it would have a couple base copies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael paal
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
I also don´t think that there will be any tournaments for the game as it is not a classical deckbuilding game and probably lacks that level of competition.
In addition, if you compare with CCG such as magic they have a huge team (and community) that fixes any balancing issue that is a prerequisite for tournament play.

In my view of opinion the exclusives are very valuable: you get two extra heroes (especially the ninja with that kind of ´flash´ ability is very intersting) and 40 additional cards that will increase variety considerably.

actually I do really believe in the potential of Allegiance and thats why I supported the KS with a pledge for 3 copies : )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
First, considering the relatively (sadly) low buzz the game got during the campaign, compared to other boardgames, I don't know how much this game will conquer the tournament scene.
I hope it will but don't think it's likely.

Second, the game's base mechanic is that there is a joint deck for both players. So I don't see the problem here at all. Either way, you're on equal ground. The monk and assassins classes (the promos) aren't likely to be bothersome because I believe in such a case, the store itself will just provide the game. Worst case scenario, just ban those specific classes.

I don't see the need for someone to bring their own copy at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.