Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
PK WADDLE
United States
Austin
texAS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first of a series of shocking Kel-gaming miracles in this weekend's gaming started with this. I was overjoyed Tony suggested this game when It had been on my radar for ages-- I think he wasn't so overjoyed when the outcome was reached.

Aimee and I played this game's entire throughline in a wholly different manner than Tony did and evidently how most people approach their engine planning. We perhaps showed that pacifism in a game where you certainly CAN screw with people, but do not HAVE to-- every once in a while just might work. ( Not very often for me, but indeed every once in a while. )

That thought process was that Aimee and I were wholly unconcerned about paying attention to make sure people don't get their wanted tiles for free in the auction sequence. ALL we cared about was for the most part getting what WE wanted, and not concerning ourselves with blocking. Hence we got many tiles we wanted for 1 dollar.

I then adopted an idea that I do on a regular basis in such games, that 85% to 90% of the time NEVER works-- but those 1 out of 10 times-ish that it does, you leave people holding a big bag of loser.

That idea is that if when learning a game I am taught that said game has a definitive end condition of " WHen X person executes XYZ, the game ends."--- I, because I often collapse in endgames-- try to drive the end of the game to happen as fast as possible. ( I do this every time in Modern Art -- rarely thought does it work. )

So here, I got 4 loans and instead of trying to plan to drive harvested grapes to more mature values, ALL I was concerned about was getting what money sales I needed as absolutely fast as possible to pay my loans off!!

I also got very lucky.. I got every green grape wine I wanted but one-- I got the action token that transforms any grape of your choice into one other kind-- and I got to use the " sell before maturing " action 3 times.

WIth the added luck of me always using actions to drive the cheap green grape wine up to it's maximum value -- I basically started paying stuff off willy nilly-- didn't as I said concern myself with blocking.. didn't leave myself hardly any penalties at the end as well as extra $-- and voila-- Aimee and I -- much to his disgusted chagrin-- left his strategy in the dust as we drove the game to end in a scant 4 rounds with me paying off all my loans while Tony was in a mountain of debt to fund a much more long range engine plan-- and MIRACLE OF MIRACLES-- not only that I won at ALL-- but that I won by such a huge margin over someone who usually destroys me at everything on an economic game where I was the only new player !! WOO HOO !!

This also caused T and A to comment "You just keep producing that nasty green Pus wine. Pus wine is gross, dude."

But I guess the nasty wine made me a winner! Perhaps I was getting a monopoly on Mad Dog and Thunderbird while Tony was planning to make Dom Perignon later in the game-- but too bad, I made sure there WAS NO " LATER IN THE GAME" ---

SCORES
Kel 21 ( !!!)
Aimee 10
Tony -8 ( Yes, Negative 8.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.