Popular Tags: [View All]
Mickey
Singapore
flag msg tools
Twilight struggling to find time to play
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have tried twice to beat Volkare's armies without success, and am wondering how is it even possible solo, or whether I am doing combat wrong.

Last time I faced an army of 7 or 8 units including Volkare and some units he recruited along the way. Managed to get 1 unit out of the way with range attack, but could not block more than 3 units even using my own units.
SO took too many damage and got KOed. Volkare was pushed back, but next turn was back again, and I had only 1 non-attack wound card in hand. Got beaten senseless and lost.

Any strategy tips ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickey
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cranium Junker wrote:
Run... LOL

can't run. it's the scenario where he comes and attack a city, and I guess it is better to conquer it and wait for him inside since you get +2 hand limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pol Michiels
Belgium
Ottenburg
Vlaams brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Of all people who have nothing to say, those who say nothing are the wisest.
mbmbmbmbmb
For beating Volkare, Ranged attacks are king. Try to get some good ranged attack advanced actions and/or spells in your deck, to take out as much of his army as possible before they hit you. Spells whose power is based on number of enemies (like flame wall) can also do ridiculous things to the unwashed masses. In contrast, the spells that remove fortifications or take away attacks lose some use compared to regular conquest games. It's usually nice to have plenty of block available for what does get through.

Location and timing is also key. Fighting him near keeps or cities you own gives you more cards to play with, which you will desperately need to fight off the horde.

Lastly, skills that heal or give cards (especially motivation). After that first round of fighting, you will likely be pretty beat up. Motivation helps you stand right back up after being KO'd, and healing can help you get rid of some wounds. Hopefully your timing plan left you with a turn to spare between attacks, so you can rest, get rid of all wounds in your hand, and be back for round 2 in turn 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, in Volkare's Return he's only pushed back if you were in the city when he attacked; I think you were but it's not entirely clear.

That said, the first thing to know about this scenario is don't explore too much, or else Volkare will reach the city before you're ready. Get what you can from revealed tiles. You generally want to stay out of Volkare's reach but sometimes it's worth risking that he'll pull his red spell.

One annoying thing about this scenario is that there's only one core non-city tile; if you reveal it so you can start getting gold units you have to rush to reveal the city too, because if Volkare is the one who finds it you pretty much just lose. (Note that the city is always at the bottom of the stack.) So in general, first you level up as much as possible while trying to avoid being stepped on, then you get as far from him as possible and discover the core tiles, then you take the city, get gold units, and grab whatever else you can, and then you sit there and knock him back when he attacks. You may want to rush the end of the round in which you take the city just to get more gold units to recruit.

On the other hand you don't want the city to be too far away, because once he hits frenzy he'll attack you every turn, and if you fully attend all you'll be doing is unflipping your round token, so you won't be able to rest.

As far as fighting Volkare is concerned, you want to take out as many enemies as possible in the ranged phase (since he's not fortified), avoid getting knocked out when he attacks, and then pound on what's left of his army. Lots of cards in hand will help. Lots of good units are pretty much vital. Some things in particular to look for:
- Anything that prevents a unit from attacking (Banner of Fear, Wings of Night, Whirlwind, Illusionists, Amotep Freezers, Delphana Masters).
- Units with resistances, so they can absorb attacks; Altem Guardians are the gold standard here, but he has such a variety of units that even Illusionists are likely to be able to bounce an attack in there somewhere.
- Altem Mages' siege ability is huge here; it affects your units too, so you can have everybody attack and then let them take all the damage. Honestly, it's a bit broken.
- Flame Wave is insane here, but you either need to have Altem Mages or not get knocked out. Tremor is also nuts. Into the Heat is another one, though it doesn't work well with Altem Guardians. Counterattack can also be pretty crazy. And if you play Maximal Effect on one of those...
- Delphana Masters are made (probably literally) for this sort of situation.
- Anything that gives you tons of ranged attack; White Heroes (if he attacks you you don't need to pay the influence), Amotep Gunners, Catapults, etc.

You will of course need a lot of mana to power all this, so save crystals for this battle.

Remember you can let him plunder the city once without losing the scenario, though it will cost you some advantages.

Finally, it sounds like you're playing on Heroic; consider starting with Daring, or at least dialing the city and Volkare down a touch. I've managed to beat him on Legendary/Fair so it can definitely be done, but he's different enough from Full Conquest that it takes some getting used to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Moyer-Horner
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephen and Pol are right on the money with everything they said. Great advice there. I'll reiterate and clarify a few strategy tips to keep in mind during the rounds leading up to the Volkare encounter:

1) your job is to level up and get useful rewards, such as artifacts, spells, and units (basically in that order of importance). Pretty much any artifact, when broken, can be a game changer in the Volkare battle.

2) pay close attention to the spell and unit offers. If one of the great Volkare-bashing spells come up, be sure to get it. Earthquake and flame wave are the best. Veil of Mist, Wings of Night, Call to Glory, and Mass Expose are also very good. Grey units are mostly meat shields, with an edge for those with ranged attacks and resistances. Must have gold units (in order of awesomeness): Altem Mages, Altem Guardians, Delphana Masters, tied for 4th= Amotep Gunners, White Heroes, Catapults.

3) timing and tile exploring are important. Stephen explained the tile exploration strategy above. As far as timing, plan on assaulting the city either at the end of night 2 or the beginning of day 3. Ideally, you'll face Volkare right away during night 3. Having access to black mana is critical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
lrmhorner wrote:
Ideally, you'll face Volkare right away during night 3.

I usually can't rely on one round to take out Volkare, especially if he has around a dozen units. Day 3 or even the end of night 2 can be good times to face the first assault. I find black mana and spells to be unreliable, and the extra time to be more important than ensuring that the first clash happens at night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Moyer-Horner
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
lrmhorner wrote:

I usually can't rely on one round to take out Volkare, especially if he has around a dozen units. Day 3 or even the end of night 2 can be good times to face the first assault. I find black mana and spells to be unreliable, and the extra time to be more important than ensuring that the first clash happens at night.

I should have mentioned that my advice is based on experience with Heroic and Legendary combat levels. You probably don't need to be as focused on the things i mentioned for Daring and you don't need to take as many risks either. I admit that waiting until night 3 to battle Volkare is risky because you might (and i have) run out of time before finishing off his troops, but it also maximizes your chances of beating a Volkare with 12+ allies because you've had more time to collect resources.

You don't want to assault the city and face Volkare in the same round and you don't want to spend more than two or three turns assaulting the city. For Heroic and Legendary, i find it's pretty tough to conquer the city before the 4th round (night 2) without decimating your units, breaking artifacts, and gaining piles of wounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
lrmhorner wrote:
Benkyo wrote:
lrmhorner wrote:

I should have mentioned that my advice is based on experience with Heroic and Legendary combat levels.

Heh, perhaps I should have added the same? I only play legendary, and vary the speed difficulty to adjust the challenge. Admittedly night 2 is pushing it, but I find night 3 to almost invariably be too late.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Moyer-Horner
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:

Heh, perhaps I should have added the same? I only play legendary, and vary the speed difficulty to adjust the challenge. Admittedly night 2 is pushing it, but I find night 3 to almost invariably be too late.

For the record, Ben, my statement wasn't meant as a slight at your MK ability or experience. You're clearly one of the most experienced players on BGG. It was meant as a clarification that my advice isn't nearly as important at the Daring level.

I'm actually curious to see how things go when you assault a level 10 city at the beginning of night 2. I'm usually too chicken to try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StephenV wrote:
White Heroes (if he attacks you you don't need to pay the influence)
Here's something new; thank you very much, Stephen! Just checked the rules and indeed there's no reference to "assault" when defending vs Volkare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Picon wrote:
StephenV wrote:
White Heroes (if he attacks you you don't need to pay the influence)
Here's something new; thank you very much, Stephen! Just checked the rules and indeed there's no reference to "assault" when defending vs Volkare.

Yeah, heroes are pretty gullible that way. "Yes I burned that monastery, but it was for the greater good! And those monks were evil anyway; did you see that they were using poison?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.