Popular Tags: [View All]
M D
United States
Peotone
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played the first game last night really enjoyed it but have a few questions . First do you have to attack anyone? A few times when we would play a card we simply would refuse to attack another player I didn' see anything saying you must attack. Secondly Ultra's I didn't see in the rules that you must apply your utlra attack to everyone, I saw the in the last part of the rule book that for at least one Ultra you can choose how many fellow players you can attack, we applied this to all Ultra's that the person playing it could choose which players he wanted to attack. Last question was a very interesting position. I had played tanden engine and took on the stage boss, I didn't have a Defense so I had to take the attack. The attack was "Pick any one card with a cost of 4 or greater in play or in your hand and put it under your hero" At this time I had other players cards in play from the tanden engine so does that mean I could pick one of those cards and put it under my hero since it was in play? We ended up saying that no because I played those cards and they then returned to the owners decks, which caused another problem because with the tanden engine I also played to players weakness which put them into the weakness pile. So Did we play this right or could I have taken one of the other players cards I played with tanden engine and put it under my hero?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alphonso McCutchen
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
mikeevoy wrote:
Played the first game last night really enjoyed it but have a few questions . First do you have to attack anyone? A few times when we would play a card we simply would refuse to attack another player I didn' see anything saying you must attack.

Nothing is saying you must attack...unless you play a card with the word "Attack:" written on it. If you want to avoid attacking other players, then you shouldn't buy those cards into your deck. I'm a bit surprised, though; why would you play a game based on Street Fighter if you're not interested in attacking other players? It adds a little bit of tension to the game as well--you have to weigh the powers and effects the Attack cards will generate for you against the possibility that you might be Counter-Attacked or otherwise retaliated against.

mikeevoy wrote:
Secondly Ultra's I didn't see in the rules that you must apply your utlra attack to everyone, I saw the in the last part of the rule book that for at least one Ultra you can choose how many fellow players you can attack, we applied this to all Ultra's that the person playing it could choose which players he wanted to attack.

With the exception of Zangief's Ultimate Atomic Buster, every Ultra says "each foe" somewhere in the text, so again, it's the card itself telling you that you're attacking each foe. Again, this is part of the tension in the game--the Ultra cards are very powerful, but they're also riskier since there is an increased possibility of a Counter-Attack or other retaliation. Where in the rulebook are you seeing that you can choose which players to attack?

mikeevoy wrote:
Last question was a very interesting position. I had played tanden engine and took on the stage boss, I didn't have a Defense so I had to take the attack. The attack was "Pick any one card with a cost of 4 or greater in play or in your hand and put it under your hero" At this time I had other players cards in play from the tanden engine so does that mean I could pick one of those cards and put it under my hero since it was in play? We ended up saying that no because I played those cards and they then returned to the owners decks, which caused another problem because with the tanden engine I also played to players weakness which put them into the weakness pile. So Did we play this right or could I have taken one of the other players cards I played with tanden engine and put it under my hero?

Tanden Engine plays the opponents' cards then returns them to the top of their decks. Therefore, the opponents' cards would no longer be "in play" to be selected by any character's Counter-Attack. (By the way, if you're referring to Akuma's Counter-Attack, it should be a card in play or in your discard pile, not in your hand. I don't think there are any Counter-Attacks that can target cards in your hand.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M D
United States
Peotone
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarity, I didn't think you could choose to not attack but then again I always attacked with all the cards that allowed. I kind of liked the ability to choose who you go after with the Ultra, give a bit more control but I'll try it the normal way and see how bad things get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M D
United States
Peotone
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Under the Ultra section it doesn't say you have to attack each foe, and then for the Ultimate Atomic Buster it says for each foe you wish to not give a card, which led me to think you can choose which and how many foes you use your Ultra attack on. The rules also make it sound like you can use your Ultra to attack then use the defense on the card to block a counter attack once. Sorry went off topic for a second there but since you can choose with the Ultimate Atomic Buster why couldn't you choose with the others?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alphonso McCutchen
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
The rulebook doesn't need to say you have to attack each foe because the cards themselves say that. I agree that it's weird how Ultimate Atomic Buster is the sole exception; it could easily say something like, "Put one card from your hand or discard pile into each foe's discard pile." I assume it's because you may not necessarily have enough junk cards to pass out to each opponent, and the designers didn't want to force you to give away your good cards. I suppose there could have been an option to give a Weakness if you didn't want to give away anything from your deck, but maybe they couldn't find a good way to word it? It's all really just speculation on my part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Herandez
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
notthephonz wrote:
The rulebook doesn't need to say you have to attack each foe because the cards themselves say that. I agree that it's weird how Ultimate Atomic Buster is the sole exception; it could easily say something like, "Put one card from your hand or discard pile into each foe's discard pile." I assume it's because you may not necessarily have enough junk cards to pass out to each opponent, and the designers didn't want to force you to give away your good cards. I suppose there could have been an option to give a Weakness if you didn't want to give away anything from your deck, but maybe they couldn't find a good way to word it? It's all really just speculation on my part.

The reason why zangiefs ultra is different than all the rest is because,

1.all other ultras don't effect you, just foes.

2. Say it's a 3-5 player game and, zangiefs deck lost a lot of weight (destroyed cards) and you only have two starters and a Weakness in your discard and hand all together. You're going to give those 3 up to the foeS. And a VP CARD to AN OPPONENT? No, because that will than effect zangief in a bad way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Herandez
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So zangief gets better with more people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suicyd King
United States
New York
flag msg tools
All Attack and Ultra Attack cards say either choose a foe, or each foe. The only exceptions are Zangief's Ultra and the M Bison Villain card's attack. Bison says you may choose a foe, and Zangief targets any number of foes. If you play an attack and it doesn't say may, then you have to attack and you have to target everyone that the card requires.

However, you can discard any card in your hand at end of turn instead of playing it. That means if you want to wimp out and not attack, you can choose not to play the card at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M D
United States
Peotone
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup I went through the Ultra's last night read them all again just to follow up, all but Big Z say "each foe" thus applying to everyone. I'm not sure why people were opting to not attack near the end, maybe it was most of us were targeting the same player whistle .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing I dislike about the game is choosing a foe. I play with children and adults, and the adults are unhappy when they are picked on.

Unfortunately, I had a hand with 3 attack cards, and I picked on a single player for all three - it is a wise strategy, because it uses up his defence cards and actually affects him, whereas spreading out the attacks increases the chances of you getting counter-attacked. But he wasn't too pleased with me (he was quite polite about it, but I'm not looking forward to our next game!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Herandez
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Stephanie Baynes wrote:
The only thing I dislike about the game is choosing a foe. I play with children and adults, and the adults are unhappy when they are picked on.

Unfortunately, I had a hand with 3 attack cards, and I picked on a single player for all three - it is a wise strategy, because it uses up his defence cards and actually affects him, whereas spreading out the attacks increases the chances of you getting counter-attacked. But he wasn't too pleased with me (he was quite polite about it, but I'm not looking forward to our next game!)

Same thing here! I just played a game with my older brother and father, and attacked my father times, twice with single attacks, then both of them with my ultra, he was about to kick me out the house!

I love it tho! The intensity of this game is great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M D
United States
Peotone
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephanie Baynes wrote:

I found after someone is attacked with multiple or even just one attack at times, they are perfect to attack again devil . I would watch the guy in front me and who ever he attacked his turn I would normally follow with more attacks. Jerk move but really fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.