Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been looking at this game for a long time, at least twice picking it off the shelf of a local store, then putting it back. See, my birthday was coming and it did not want to buy antyhing before that.

I did get a game for my birthday, but not one I wanted and after careful thought I decided that the game I did want was Robinson Crusoe. So I went back to the store ... and the game was sold out with restocks pending reprints. I tried my other (favorite) store. Same problem. Amazon had one copy for a measly £100. I tried other places, same story, all sold out. But, then... with my last effort, already resolved to having to wait for reprints, the last store had a copy.

That's how on Friday (appropriately) I was able to try the game for the first time, playing solo with the Cook character, Friday and an unnamed dog. I had high hopes, and the start was really good. If got my camp on the beach, but I want to go to the mountains for the shelter and better access for further explorations. Hard decisions, good decisions. Howerver, about half-way through the game, it became obvious that I was going to win, and easily so. I had plenty of wood, food enough and some inventions that allowed me to heal the damage from sleeping without shelter. Honestly, it felt a little flat. Hmmm, thought I, that was ... ok.

Then, as I almost always do, I re-read the rules. And then it was clear. I had not been playing the rules correctly (in truth I expected as much, but with everything going on, I was resolved to check the rules afterwards). Specifically I had been playing the resolution of clouds to mean that any surplus clouds would cause loss of health, not loss of wood and food. I misplayed a couple of other rules (keeping my roof after moving to a new shelter-less tile without having built shelter), but that one was the big one.

I was expecting to lose, and having the rules better in place, I expect to lose. I look forward to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, you will lose. A lot. It is a mean island.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, I expected something completely different from the headline...

Have fun on the island.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
Man, I expected something completely different from the headline...

Have fun on the island.

I hope I did not disappoint?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Update: Played my second game yesterday, much better and more tense. We won, though it seemed like we wouldn't until the last few rounds. We very quite lucky to have a very strong weapon coupled with quite a few event cards leading animals to our camp, which in turn meant the our food supply was covered in that way for a number of turns. We did misplay the brown tokens for building from the exploration tokens, and we might have missed a few other things. Can someone answer:

1. When can character abilities and starting items be used?
2. When can we trigger the winning conditions, assuming that the fire has been built and the wood gathered and placed and round 10 is reached?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.