24 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Variants

Subject: PROJECT CARDASSIA (Cardassian Faction Cards) *UPDATED 22-11-2015* rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt W
msg tools
mb
I never cared much for the fact that in ST:AW the Cardassians are not their own faction, especially ships like the Koranak, which was part of a fleet that attacked the Dominion. We never even saw a Keldon-class ship used once the Cardassians allied with the Dominion. So it struck me as ridiculous that all the Cardassian ships/cards were simply assigned to the Dominion faction. Especially since the Cardassians were their own faction up until Season 5 of ST: DS9

In my efforts to create a viable pure-Cardassian faction, I began by re-creating the various existing Cardassian cards, simply replacing the Dominion logo with the Cardassian Union logo. In some cases I took the liberty to replace the image as well, either to one more appropriate or simply using a higher resolution image. These cards are 100% legal, the ONLY change being the faction logo and/or the image. I also took some non-Cardassian Dominion cards (i.e. Weyoun) and simply re-skin them to be Cardassian characters/upgrades. These cards are also 100% usable in standard games, since the card text remains exactly the same. In these cases I will list the name of the cards that were re-skinned.

(I will also post non-Dominion re-skinned cards, and original, custom made ones).

Printing Advice:
For those wanting to use these cards, feel free. I printed mine out on photo glossy paper and they turned out amazing (picture quality is better than a lot of the official cards). You just cut them out, place them in front of the original card in a plastic sleeve, and you're done. I'm sure there are more elaborate (and expensive) ways to print the cards out professionally, but the cheapest way is to print and cut them out yourself at home.

OFFICIAL, EXISTING CARDASSIAN CARDS (Only logo and/or image changed)

Kraxon (Wave 0 Expansion)

Koranak (Wave 2 Expansion)

Reklar (Wave 13 Expansion)

Assimilated Vessel 64758 / Trager (Resistance is Futile OP Prize)

Aldara (Reinforcements Blind Booster)

3rd Wing Attack Ship (The Collective Blind Booster)

Deep Space 9 Game Piece (Wave 9.5 Expansion)

OFFICIAL, OTHER-DOMINION CARDS (re-skinned to be Cardassians)
SHIPS

(Re-Skinned Gor Portas, 5th Wing Patrol Ship, 3rd Wing Attack Ship, Generic Dominion Attack Ship)

CAPTAINS

(Re-Skinned Weyoun 7, Thot Gor, Gelnon, Luaran, Sar)

ELITE TALENTS

(Re-Skinned Invaluable Advice, Ketracel-White)

CREW UPGRADES

(Re-Skinned Breen Aide, Remata'Klan, Amat'Igan and Ixtana'Rax, Breen Guards)

WEAPON UPGRADES

(Re-Skinned Energy Dissipator); goes with "Damar-Class" ship (re-skinned Gor Portas), and Photon Torpedoes

TECH UPGRADES

(Re-Skinned Shroud)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Seery
msg tools
Re: Cardassian Faction Cards
Legate Damar seems overpowered. He has a better ability than Donatra (who is only range 1). Gowron has the same range but takes an action to use

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the Cardassians should have been their own faction but I disagree with some of the cards you've developed.

Firstly, I agree with the following:

emperorpenguin wrote:
Legate Damar seems overpowered. He has a better ability than Donatra (who is only range 1). Gowron has the same range but takes an action to use

I realise you probably wanted to make it slightly different to Donatra and Gowron but the result is slightly too powerful. To allow an area buff but make it different I would probably have gone with something like making the buff optional and applying an APT to a ship using the buff.

I disagree with the idea of giving Battle Stations to the Cardassian Ships across the board as I believe this makes them too powerful. I would prefer to see other ways of obtaining the effect of battlestations similar to cards like Spock, Drex, Alexander, etc.

Tied with this is the New Captain granting a free Battlestations action, this is too similar to Gul Dukat's ability.

With regard to the Keldon being Obsidian Order I like the idea but the Cardassians did have Keldon ships in general use. Those used by the Obsidian Order were Advanced Keldons that had had Romulan cloaking technology incorporated. As such I would probably have gone with making the Cloaking device an Obsidian order only upgrade and had a couple of Captains that granted Obsidian Order to the ship they were on.

Having said all that, I would stress that these are solely how I would do this just as the cards you developed are how you'd do it; I make no claim for my opinions being better just different and I'd like to say thanks for the inspiration (I might go away and have a go myself).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt W
msg tools
mb
Thanks for the feedback. I'll probably reduce the range on Damar's ability, or make it an action.

Quote:
I disagree with the idea of giving Battle Stations to the Cardassian Ships across the board as I believe this makes them too powerful.

I found that Galor-class ships seem grossly inadequate against cloaked ships, and comparable ships like the Klingon Vor'cha are much better for almost the same amount of points (+1 attack, +1 hull, -1 shield). I felt the Galor-class needed to be given something extra, especially since its maneuverability is quite bad. Moreover, given that the Cardassians are a militant race it makes sense that their crews would be more alert and ready for battle.

Also, you'll notice Lemec's ability does not state you can perform the action if it is not in the ship's Action Bar (like Picard's card does). If I ditch the Battle Stations from the no-name Galor-class ships, I'll probably add that stipulation to his card though. Do you think the named ships like the Reklar and Vetar should keep the Battle Stations at least?

Quote:
With regard to the Keldon being Obsidian Order I like the idea but the Cardassians did have Keldon ships in general use. Those used by the Obsidian Order were Advanced Keldons that had had Romulan cloaking technology incorporated. As such I would probably have gone with making the Cloaking device an Obsidian order only upgrade and had a couple of Captains that granted Obsidian Order to the ship they were on.

I only gave the Koranak the Obsidian Order emblem since that particular ship was used by them. The generic Keldon Class has the regular Cardassian Union logo, since the military was supposed to be the sole user of the vessel.

You raise an interesting idea about having an Obsidian Order Captain for Obsidian Order ships. I might try making an Enabran Tain captain card and a Garak crew upgrade, and design rules for Obsidian Order upgrades/crew.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lars mallach
msg tools
mbmb
I like what I see here. You do good work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
Thot Prad wrote:
Also, you'll notice Lemec's ability does not state you can perform the action if it is not in the ship's Action Bar (like Picard's card does).

Dukat's text does not either, but that's how he works. So you'll need to explicitly state that is does not for Lemec.

Quote:
Do you think the named ships like the Reklar and Vetar should keep the Battle Stations at least?

So far no named ship has access to more on it's action bar than the generic. I'm not totally against the idea, but there's no precedent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt W
msg tools
mb
Obsidian Order Cards
CUSTOM OBSIDIAN ORDER CARDS/RULES
***UPDATED 10-31-2015***
Hey gang, so I thought I'd create a sub-faction for the Obsidian Order and some Special Rules. Here are some preliminary cards.

SPECIAL RULES

Basically, Obsidian Order captains are required to take Obsidian Order ships/upgrades (except for Obsidian Order crew)

SHIPS

Two variants of the Koranak. One just has a new logo, the other I changed its Action Bar to include Cloak and Sensor Echo. As someone pointed out to me, the lack of Scan Action renders its special ability useless. Better to stick to the original card.

CAPTAINS

Custom-made Enabrain Tain and Generic Obsidian Captain. For Tain, I felt he should have a low captain skill, but gives players cheaper Obsidian Order upgrades, being the (former) head of the organization.

CREW UPGRADES

Custom-made Garak and Obsidian Order Agent. Dejar is a re-skinned Miles O'Brien.

TECH UPGRADES

Obsidian Order Cloak upgrade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt W
msg tools
mb
Faction Mixing - Cardassian Themed
NON-DOMINION RE-SKINNED CARDS
***POST UPDATED 31-10-2015***
For this section, I am posting all of the non-Dominion faction cards that I simply re-skinned to look like Cardassian characters/tech. The cards are all legal to play, as long as all players agree to faction-mixing. FYI, I ALREADY ADDED the +1 SP cost to the cards. I included a reference chart as well.

REFERENCE SHEET

CAPTAINS

(Re-skinned Chang, Kira and Worf)

CREW

(Re-skinned Selok, Mr. Spock, N'Garen, Romulan Tactical Officer, Pavel Chekov, Kyle, Lojour, Miles O'Brien, Romulan Pilot)

Not on the reference sheet (was requested later)

(Re-Skinned I.K.S. Ch'tang and Day Kannu)

VOLES!!!

(Re-skinned Tribbles and Reference Card + Tokens)

MIRROR UNIVERSE

(Re-skinned Mirror Riker and Mirror Tasha Yar)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John S.
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is some great stuff. I'm not certain the Obsidian Order distinction needs to be made, but your method makes sense. I fully support the Galor class ships having battle stations, as I think this was an oversight.

Keep up the good work! For Cardassia!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt W
msg tools
mb
NEW Cardassian Faction Cards, all re-skins
***POST UPDATED 10-31-2015***
I just re-created the official Damar and Seskal cards to have the Cardassian faction logo (moved the images to the first post in this thread).

Hope you enjoy the cards. Critiques/comments are welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt W
msg tools
mb
Re: Cardassian Faction Cards (UPDATE: feat. proxy Garak card and re-skinned cards)
My proxy of the upcoming GenCon Exclusive Garak card (based on the Star Trek.com preview). Only thing I changed was I gave him the Obsidian Order logo instead of the Dominion logo. His ability negates faction penalty anyways so it doesn't really matter. Enjoy!

*Card was relocated to the first post of this thread*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt W
msg tools
mb
Re-Skinned Dominion Cards, for Faction Purity
For those wanting to play "faction pure" (i.e. only Dominion upgrades allowed on Cardassian ships), I've re-skinned a bunch of Dominion upgrades to be Cardassian versions. They have been moved to the bottom of the first post in this thread.

As always, feedback is appreciated. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malene Agertoft
Denmark
flag msg tools
Re: Cardassian Faction Cards (UPDATE: feat. proxy Garak card and re-skinned cards)
The Obsidian Order Koranak has a major booboo.
The ability text says to spend a Scan token to do something, but by adding cloak and sensor echo actions you also removed the scan action from the ship. So it cannot use its main ability any longer =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt W
msg tools
mb
beersmurff wrote:
The Obsidian Order Koranak has a major booboo.
The ability text says to spend a Scan token to do something, but by adding cloak and sensor echo actions you also removed the scan action from the ship. So it cannot use its main ability any longer =)

Oops. I forgot about the ability when I tried making the built-in cloak variant (I never used the ability since it always seemed pretty useless to me). Well, here's the original Obsidian Order version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean M
msg tools
Big fan of your Carddasian conversions. Always irritated me that they never got their own faction so these cards have been a great way to make my fleet feel more Carddasian. What id like to see tho is a Naprem card! I have no ability with creating cards to this level and would love to field a BoP model with a Naprem card. Fancy the challenge?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dario gonzalez
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
someone should make a kardashian card as a joke and make it a carddassian faction

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt W
msg tools
mb
Ziyal and the Naprem
Neonteacup wrote:
Big fan of your Carddasian conversions. Always irritated me that they never got their own faction so these cards have been a great way to make my fleet feel more Carddasian.

Glad you like them. I apologize that I have so many posted in here, some of them are completely custom with fan-made abilities, others are re-skinned (non-Dominion) cards for people into faction mixing, and the rest are re-skinned Dominion cards for the faction puritans. If you're wanting to use them, I found these cards turned out great when printed on photo-glossy paper and simply placed in front of actual Attack Wing cards in a plastic sleeve.

Neonteacup wrote:
What id like to see tho is a Naprem card! I have no ability with creating cards to this level and would love to field a BoP model with a Naprem card. Fancy the challenge?

At first I thought you meant a card of Tora Naprem (one of Dukat's many mistresses). Then I realized you were referring to the name of his captured Bird of Prey (the name comes from the Star Trek card game). For the Naprem I just re-skinned the IKS Ch'tang. I also included a card of Tora Ziyal. I decided to re-skin the Bajoran card of Day Kannu (which I felt was fitting since Ziyal is half-Bajoran). Also, I thought this card worked well with Dukat, since it'll give him an additional free action! I already added the +1 faction penalty cost to Ziyal's card too (Day Kannu's is 2 points). Enjoy!

*UPDATE: Cards were relocated to Non-Dominion Re-Skinned Post*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt W
msg tools
mb
Re: PROJECT CARDASSIA (Cardassian Faction Cards) *UPDATED 10-31-2015*
Just wanted to bump this thread and let people know I've uploaded all of the newest Cardassian cards from the Reklar and Aldara Expansions to have the Cardassian faction logo. I've also re-organized this thread so all of the cards from the Dominion faction are in the first post, and all non-Dominion re-skinned cards in another post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hardman
msg tools
ok, I'm a huge newb when it comes to using things like photoshop and the like, but how are you making these cards? Is there a template or something that lets me make my own? I have some made up resources rules and would like to put them in this format.

Thanks, and beautiful work on the cards. I agree that Cardassians should've been their own faction, but I haven't played them yet so I wouldn't be the best person to comment on these new cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt W
msg tools
mb
I'm using an old school program, Paint Shop Pro 7. If I had Photoshop and was experienced enough with it I could have done an even better job than I did with these cards. When it's something as simple as replacing the faction logo that's easy. When you start making your own custom cards or modifying the text, then it takes a bit longer to get it looking just right.

I basically start by taking a high-quality image of an existing card (for example this Boheeka card on the WizKids website) and use that as a template. Then I use Blu Ray quality screen caps where available to replace pictures which are bad quality. I also found the 2 fonts used in the official cards so that the text looks just right, although sometimes the text sizing/spacing seems a bit off. It can take a lot of work to do these darn things, but I have a lot of fun making them, and I'm happy to share them with the community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Celt
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are templates for both photo shop and Gimp in the files section, that will allow you to make just about anything you want to come up with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt W
msg tools
mb
*UPDATE*
If you go to my original post, under OTHER DOMINION CARDS, you'll notice some new ship cards.

This update includes:
1.) Cleaned up my Ninth Order Attack Ship (which is a re-skinned 3rd Wing Attack Ship)
2.) Re-skinned the Dominion's 5th Wing Patrol Ship to be a Hideki "6th Wing Patrol Ship"
3.) Re-skinned the generic Dominion Attack Ship into a generic Hideki Cardassian Patrol Ship

I never liked that the Jem'Hadar Attack Ship and Defiant are standard ships, yet the Hideki-class ship was demoted to be an attack squadron. Considering the Hideki is actually larger than the Jem'Hadar Attack Ship and about as resilient, I thought it was appropriate to re-skin the Attack Ship to create individual Hideki ships.

For those who want to actually have a larger Hideki model to mount on a base peg, Studio Bergstrom sells a cheap, good quality miniature. Here's what one looks like painted, next to my re-painted Galor and Keldon models:

Enjoy the updates! Next I plan to either re-skin the Gor Portas and Rav Laerst into Cardassian ships from Star Trek: Armada II, or simply create my own custom cards to represent those ships. I generally prefer to re-skin official cards, since they're fully usable in games, but it's been a while since I've created any original ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moppi Wurm
Germany
flag msg tools
Love your project and all your cards
Just wanted to inform you that you misspelled "Hideki" on the rescinned attack ship cards. You might want to correct that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt W
msg tools
mb
That's what I get for making them at 3am. Thanks for pointing that out! I've fixed them up.

If you guys notice any other flaws, let me know and I'll correct them.

***UPDATE Nov 6 2015***
I re-skinned the Gor Portas to be a Damar-Class Cruiser from Star Trek: Armada. Since they used Energy Dissipators in that game, I also re-skinned the Energy Dissipator card, modifying the text to apply to the "Damar-Class" ships. I went with the Gor Portas because it can field Energy Dissipators at cost, but also because the Damar-Class cruiser is basically just a smaller, more maneuverable Galor (which the Gor Portas essentially plays like). You can find these cards in the first post.

Now, for those who wanted to see ORIGINAL cards for this, based on the custom design by Rutger Warrink, I have also created three original cards for that. Since Starship Adversaries now sells a Damar-Class model based on this design, people will be able to purchase that if they want an appropriate model to accompany these custom cards.

I present to you series of new, original custom ship cards, beginning with the DAMAR-CLASS CRUISER. Henceforth, all of my original, custom cards will simply be edited into this post, so check back periodically for updated.

ORIGINAL, CUSTOM-MADE CARDASSIAN CARDS (for fun only)
Damar-Class Cruiser

Vetar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.