M D
United States
Peotone
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

This is my first game review and as it looks the first review of the game. I'll starting by saying I am a fan of the Cryptozoic deck builders both the DC games and a fan of street fighter; so my review might be a little bias. I am hoping this isn't anyone’s first deck builder but I'll cover the basics then get into the details of this game while comparing it to the DC deck builders to try and highlight the differences. If you have played deck builders before please just skip the basics section of the review.

The Basics:
For Street fighter like the others of its kind each player will start with a basic hand consisting of 7 punch cards and three weaknesses. Shuffle up these bad boys and draw five cards. The remainder are placed face down next to you this is your draw pile. In front of you there will be a large stack of face down cards that being the main deck, next to the main deck there will be five face up cards that were taken off the main deck this is the line up from which you can purchase cards equal to the amount of power you have. Power is indicated on the cards in your hand the starter punch will state +1 power. At the end of the line up there will be four different stacks for street fighter. These stacks are the following: Weaknesses, Kicks, Locations and Super Hero's. The Super Hero's will be face down, the rest face up. The weaknesses are negatives that you will gain and hand out to others players as the text on purchased cards will dictate. Kicks are low cost super powers that are always available to purchase separate from the main line up. Now for street fighter there will be a stack of Locations called stages the stages will be stacked in order. When you get enough power you may purchase a stage; which when you do the top Super Hero next to the locations is flipped and you alone are getting that counter attack applied to. You can defend against this if you have a defense card in your hand, more on defense and attacks later though. The last cards on the table will be your chosen Super Hero's. All the Super Heroes are larger cards and each having its own counter attack and Ultra card that will go with it. I suggest picking a Super Hero at random just to spice it up a bit but you can choose as well. The Super Hero card you picked is placed next to you and the Ultra is placed under it. Cards placed under your Super Hero can be purchased by that player only. This is a new part of the deck builder added with Street Fighter. That covers all the cards you see on the table now a quick walk through of the rest of a play and then into the details of the difference of Street Fighter. Pick a player to go first then go clockwise around the table. You will have five cards in your hand add up the amount of power you have and use that to purchase cards from the main deck, under your Super Hero, or the locations it build up your deck hence deck building. There will be four types of cards to show up from the main deck and they are: Villains, Heroes, Super Powers and Equipment. All of these cards will have various effects and additional power to purchase more cards. The main two effects I will cover are Attacks and Defenses. Attacks allow you to attack the other players making them or their decks weaker, while defenses will block those attacks; these cards give this game the feeling of the video game nicely. Once you purchase your cards, those cards and the cards from your hand goes face up next to your draw pile and are now referred to as your discard pile. Draw your next five cards from your draw pile replace cards in the main line up till there is five if you purchased or moved any of those cards. That is the end of your turn and it goes around the table like this until either you can no longer fill the main line up with five cards or all the locations have been purchased. At the end of the game each player adds up their victory points which are indicated on the cards in the lower left corner with a star to determine who won. Remember any cards under your Super Hero are not owned and do not get added into your victory points. That's a quick down and dirty cover the basic's so next I'll go over what’s new with Street Fighter deck builder not seen in previous Cryptozoic deck builders.

What's New:
Street Fighter certainly added a few key differences to its classic deck builder style here. Big off the bat changes you will notice is the change from Super Villains to Stages, Your Super Hero is not always on, You have your own mini main decks going and weaknesses are much less a big deal.
Stages: Unlike before there is are no Super Villains. You buy locations and deal with an attack solo. This is a mixed bag; the locations are nice and add a little punch to your deck plus with a defense card in your hand you can get them with no negatives. On the other hand after you get the location unlike the Super villains you don't get to sit back and watch everyone cringe at the oncoming attack the Super villains had. Also the locations don't add as much punch to your deck like the Super Villains did. I feel this is by design so that you focus on the main deck and attacking each more. Over all this works well for the Street Fighter theme.
Super Hero isn't always on: Before with the DC deck builders your super hero had a super power that always on to aid you in your deck building abilities. This is no longer the case. Your Super Hero's only really activate with your Ultra card. This I feel helps with the strategy of the game and again done by design to make players interact more. With DC most of the Super Heroes are gunning for certain types of cards like Super Powers or equipment because of their Super Hero card. Now you focus on building a deck that can give you nice amounts of attack with good defense and purchasing power.
Mini Main decks and Weaknesses: Building up cards under your super hero so only you may purchase them is a needed add on for Street Fighter. Since it seems getting a lot of power per hand doesn't come as easily as it does in the DC games adding a little control of the cards was a must. It helps keep the main line moving as well as assists in strategy. As for the new putting weaknesses back, very nice add in. Now you can attack away and not worry about the other player getting as upset because it’s not as damaging as in the DC games.

Other changes that Street fighter brings with it are the Ultra's. Each player had a certain Ultra card that when you play it can allow you to be as mean as the Super Hero you picked. The Ultra's bring with them an attack or the new counter attack. When played normally you can attack other players or when defending you can play it as well and turn your defense into a counter attack. The Counter attacks are strong and from the game play so far deters players from attacking each other for fear of getting countered. Last new thing Street Fighter brings with it is not something you find in the box, it’s the style you play the game. Where before when my friends and I would get together with DC you’re focused on victory points and certain strategies to get the most points and end the game. Here you can feel the focus shifted quickly to attacking each other and defending as much as you can. With the last added change Street fighter lets you pick who you attack making this shift felt instant with the first Hadoken your buddy throws at your face. With what’s new out of the way let’s take a quick look at the game itself and the contents before the final thoughts.

Actual Game itself:
For me the box and the plastic card holder inside was nothing new. Only complaint I have here is that after I sleeved all the cards the weaknesses seems to just not completely fit into its section in the plastic divider. Rule books follows the Cryptozoic standard with my personal favorite notes section so when you have questions and get Matt Hyra to answer them here on BBG's you can write them into your rule book for reference. The cards themselves have the standard Cryptozoic backs which don't bother; but I have read they are not a favorite of some. The art of on the cards stands out for me personally. I love it, because it mixes the art from the video game series from the classic Street Fighter II stage back grounds to the newer punching, kicking ink flinging style its got going now. That covering what you get time for the final thoughts.

Final Thoughts:
Being a weekly player of the two DC deck builders I was excited for Street Fighter. I was not disappointed; I very much enjoy the shift to one on one player attacks and combo attacking each other. As most of the players I was with we were all a bit upset when the game ended because at the point we had hands build up to ruining each other’s day. The only thing I feel that could make this better would to be to add a second Ultra card per Hero. Once we got half way through the game the Ultra's became sparse and the counter attacking dropped quickly. Over all I loved it and will be playing Street Fighter I feel much more then my DC games give the nature of my friends and I for messing with each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wiser
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your review. I play the DC versions of this series and while I enjoy them I also have to say that they are good for one game (either to start or end with) and time to go on to something else.

Does the Street Fighter version do enough different to stand on its own or is this more of a if you like the DC versions this is the same song and dance just Street Fighter instead of DC?

I also saw a promo card for the Street Fighter version, is it worth ones time to seek out this card or is it nothing to invest ones time or money in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M D
United States
Peotone
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I would certainly say it is similar enough to where it will feel the same for a good part of the start; but once the attacks start coming you will feel the change. After a few rounds of the same old feeling, then we didn't go around with out at least one attack. It got the point where you couldn't wait for your turn to strike back at the person that last attacked you.

2. I pre ordered this so I have the promo of Blanka but no one as used him yet. I would suggest getting it if your group enjoys the moments in the DC game where they are attacking the other players with villians or Super Villians.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.