Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Cardassian/Dominion fleet tactics rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tibor Corbett
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I'm looking for some ideas on how to effectively field a Cardassian fleet in the Borg Collective campaign.

At this time I am considering:
Keldon (24)
Keldon (24)
Keldon (24)
Hideki (20)
8pts left to spend on upgrades.

I intend to run a faction pure fleet - though any Dominion is ok (doesn't have to be specifically Cardassian)

Thoughts?
Would I be better off dropping one of the Keldons in favour of more points to spend on upgrades?
Should I upgrade one of the Keldons to the Kraxon in order to tank damage and keep the Keldons alive?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Coon
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just played a Cardassian/Dominion fleet in the Tholian Web OP. Gor Portas (with ED and Photons), Kraxon and Koranak. It was fun, something different than you'd expect for a scenario needing maneuvering and I managed to come second place in our little tournament.

In any case, I built it in part with the fear of seeing a Borg sphere.

Regarding a fleet, to be honest I find myself leaning towards generic Galors than generic Keldons if only because the Galors have a little more toughness. 4 hull and 3 shields rather than 4 hull and 2 shields. It's certainly a matter of opinion whether you want to do more damage (with the 5 dice) first or whether you're focusing on weathering the storm.

But I feel I'd rather have a little more toughness and decrease the probability of my ship being taken out in one shot. If the sphere has ablative armor, and even if not, it's unlikely you'll destroy it on the first encounter so it will get at least one shot on your ships with 6 die minimum.

Furthermore, I'm not sure the loss of the battlestations is such a problem when you'll have no problem target locking a borg ship anyway.

It might be worthwhile to take the Kraxon, flanked by 2 other generic galors and your fighters I guess (since you have them). The Kraxon can at least help redistribute damage some. Also, I like Gelnon on a cardassian ship, because if you do get within range 1 you have that large forward arc and you can possibly get a free two damage (or two crits even) to your opponent before combat.

Also, if I were you, considering the maximum captain skill of a sphere is 4 (unless you're going against faction-mixed I guess), it seems worthwhile to have high skill captains so you can at least get your shots off first before the sphere returns fire. I would go with Dukat, for the free evade or bs, both of which could be helpful, Gelnon for the potential pre-combat damage and then maybe Thot Gor if you want to carry a weapon or 2 (you could swap out a ship for a Breen ship and run an ED, its almost a guaranteed to hit on a borg). Or Gul Evek (for a little extra defense, though he would fire second if your opponent is using only 1 sphere) or Gul Ranor (has CS 5, the extra maneuver could be useful to escape a borg tractor beam I guess).

That's my 2 cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of good Dominion builds that you could run. The Gul Dukat/Boheeka combo is a godsend, and should be in pretty much any build you go with. The Energy Dissipator is a good choice if you're facing the Borg spheres, but you'll really want Thot Pran to make it more reliable. Gelnon is great against a high-defense fleet. Finally Antiproton Scan can be great against cloaked ships or following up after an ED attack.

As for the ships, running a defensive build Kraxon can save you from damage on your more important ships, and can potentially nearly double the lifetime of a Fighter squad over the course of a game (or draw fire and keep your other ships safe for use). The LE version of the generic Breen Battleship is great for bringing in an Antiproton Scan to follow up your Energy Dissipator attack. The Keldon Class is a solid attacker that can deal out some damage, but a Battleship can dish out and take more, but you'll have to deal with a significantly worse movement dial (though this can be somewhat mitigated by using the Dorsal Weapons Array).

Finally, on a special note, the Fighters are awesome. Their ability to soak fire is incredible, and they pack a serious punch. After running both fighters over this last weekend, I've found them to be an incredible addition to the game. They are godsends against the bevy of 1-2 ship builds that are starting to see more play, though a swarm build can tear them apart rather quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Prickett
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mb
Another Cardassian player! Let me say that Cardassian's are my favorite faction I won both OP3 and OP4, and got second in OP5 with pure Cardassian going up against all the flavors of the month.

Here is my base fleet-

Koranak
Gul Dukat
Boheeka
Dorsal Weapons Array

Keldon
Flagship Independent - Scan
Gul Danar
Breen Aide

Kraxon

I think the Kraxon is the key to any Cardassian fleet. The Kraxon's ability let's have that first round of combat end well. You shouldn't lose any ships that first turn. Go forward slowly so they don't get behind you too quick.

Additionally you may start with this base -

Keldon
Keldon
Kraxon
Fighters

The Kraxon is key.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Tibor_C wrote:
I'm looking for some ideas on how to effectively field a Cardassian fleet in the Borg Collective campaign.
At this time I am considering:
Keldon (24)
Keldon (24)
Keldon (24)
Hideki (20)
8pts left to spend on upgrades.
I intend to run a faction pure fleet - though any Dominion is ok (doesn't have to be specifically Cardassian)
Thoughts?
Would I be better off dropping one of the Keldons in favour of more points to spend on upgrades?
Should I upgrade one of the Keldons to the Kraxon in order to tank damage and keep the Keldons alive?

Others have already given some good advice, but I thought I'd weigh in.
I ran a faction pure Cardassian force twice in OP6, and had a blast.
As far as what combination you run, I think it simply boils down to personal preference.

I ran the Koranak, a Keldon, a Galor, and the fighters in one OP6 event, and the Kraxon, two Keldons, and the fighters in another OP6 event.
I don't know that either of the generics is better than the other, but I think I slightly prefer the extra attack dice over the extra shield.

As far as upgrades, I didn't use any at all. I used Dukat, two generic captains, and let the primary attack dice do their job.

Don't over-commit on the initial pass, but definitely make sure the fighters are shooting during the same turn as the rest of your ships. Though it's possible, you shouldn't lose more than one ship on the initial pass, which means that three of your four ships are going to be shooting. By concentrating their fire, you're going to have a good chance of destroying your initial target.

Also, don't be afraid to utilize red maneuvers when turning around. I'd much rather have an aux token and be shooting, than to have done a bank, have no aux token, but also have no shot. It may seem basic, but by using a red maneuver here and there, I haven't found the lack of maneuverability to be much of a problem.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Ting
Australia
flag msg tools
I just won an OP3 event with the following:

Koranak
Gul Dukat
Boheeka
Dorsal Weapons Array
Long Range Tachyon Scan

Kraxon
Weyoun (6)
Glinn Telle

IRW Praetus
Cloaked Mines

Romulan Science Vessel

Not pure Cardassian / Dominion I know, I was going for 4 ships simply due to the OP3 scenario (which worked well for me, captured the planet in all 3 games).

Dropping the Romulans gives you another Keldon or fighters and some upgrades. However I found Cloaked Mines worked really well with the Cardassians, since it makes your opponent choose sub-optimal maneuvers, and keeps them in your firing arcs longer. It really helped make up for the Cardassian's own lack of maneuverability.

Kraxon / Weyoun / Glinn Telle also works well in the first round of shooting, so you're not likely to lose any ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Coon
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
underling wrote:
[q="Tibor_C"]
Also, don't be afraid to utilize red maneuvers when turning around. I'd much rather have an aux token and be shooting, than to have done a bank, have no aux token, but also have no shot. It may seem basic, but by using a red maneuver here and there, I haven't found the lack of maneuverability to be much of a problem.

Kevin

Absolutely seconded! With the wide arc, this was another reason I went with cardassians for the Tholian Web.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan kipps-bolton
United Kingdom
watford
hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you actually manage to get in range 1 to hit a Borg sphere with edt then they're doing something very wrong

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Coon
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jiffk wrote:
If you actually manage to get in range 1 to hit a Borg sphere with edt then they're doing something very wrong

If the opponent isn't playing faction pure with the sphere (ie. using Captains of skill 8+ or Romulan Commander), then, yes potentially.

Otherwise, you can easily get in your ED and all your other ships' shots in. If you put Gul Dukat on the Portas, you'll get your ED off first, followed by a photon torpedo, which can be followed by your companion Ships. That's 14-15 attack, not counting range 1 enhancements, (depending on whether your companions are a keldon and a kraxon or two keldons) die vs. 0 agility and no shields. And of course no counterattack from the Borg even if it does survive. The ED is definitely a great solution for Borg.

In this case, it's the Sphere that's doing something very wrong if it allows itself to get within range 1 of an ED.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Momaw Nadon
msg tools
I just played a game running the Kraxon next to fighters. My idea was to transfer the damage from fighters to the Kraxon to keep that 6 attack going. The question came up on how much damage would go to the Kraxon if the attack on the fighters resulted in multiple hits. I would have thought that since any damage above one (since the fighters have no shields and one hull) was ignored, then only that one actual hit would be transferred. The other player disagreed. We ended up playing that the full damage roll would be transferred and as such I ended up not tanking any damage as it wasn't worth it. What do you guys think on how that should work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
momaw wrote:
I just played a game running the Kraxon next to fighters. My idea was to transfer the damage from fighters to the Kraxon to keep that 6 attack going. The question came up on how much damage would go to the Kraxon if the attack on the fighters resulted in multiple hits. I would have thought that since any damage above one (since the fighters have no shields and one hull) was ignored, then only that one actual hit would be transferred. The other player disagreed. We ended up playing that the full damage roll would be transferred and as such I ended up not tanking any damage as it wasn't worth it. What do you guys think on how that should work?

This goes in to how damage resolves and what order events take place in. In a standard attack, it works like this:

1) Attack is rolled
2) Hits/Crits are assigned to the defending ship
3) Damage is applied to the ship
4) Any damage left over after destroying the ship is lost

The Kraxon's ability comes in during step 2 of the process, as it allows you to transfer pending damage from the Fighters - or other ships - over to the Kraxon to keep them going longer.

While this may not seem particularly useful, especially with all the dice fixing in the current environment (which, I think, is also why cloaking is falling out of favor - though I do feel it still has a role in the game), it can still add a significant amount of life to the fighters if multiple one or two hit attacks go against them.

There's another purpose to running the Kraxon, however - it is a great damage magnet. Lots of players see you running it, and know that it is going to pull damage off your other ships anyways, so start out by focus firing it out of existence right from the get go - leaving your Fighters and whatever other ship you run untouched during the crucial first few turns of combat. I will note that this doesn't always happen - but that's part of what I consider building a good fleet. Wherever possible, you present your opponent with no good options. In this case, if they fire on your tank ship, your big damage dealers can get in and tear their ships apart; and if they don't, then your tank ship can pull damage off of your other ships, keeping them from popping too early in the game, and they still get to get their damage out (though you do need to balance out the rate you use up your shields, or be left in a situation where you can't soak that one last, crucial crit on your ship).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Momaw Nadon
msg tools
Thanks for that reply.

At this game I ran a stripped fleet (2 Keldons, Kraxon and fighters) so did leave few choice targets. I found that the only ship with any real assistance (Boheeka on a standard Keldon) drew all the fire. I had fun with the fleet and am left wondering if standard Galors would have been more useful with their extra point in shields, or if the extra attack die the Keldon's threw out had more of an impact. The Keldon's in most games where destroyed mostly I think because of that extra attack die and the lesser amount of hits required to take them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing that list, I would have gone with the Keldons as well, and kept them in formation with the Keldons flanking the Kraxon and the fighters in front, and trying to keep everything in range 1 of each other. BS with the Keldons' innate attack 5 is quite a lot more reliable than the Galors' lower attack dice and TL (though with Cloak losing momentum, TL is gaining in usefulness).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.