BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming with Kids

Subject: Recommendation Request rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
Hullo, looking for a game recommendation for my daughter, been looking through the forum but thought I'd see if anyone else had a recommendation from similar experiences:

Enjoys: Forbidden Island & Ticket to Ride (simplified versions), Dixit, some card games with a regular pack

Carcassonne she refuses to play because the thief on the box makes her nervous. Eruption was so-so. Silly Sentences wasn't that great.

Currently she's very interested in the body, world maps & flags, and music (favourite tune is the Imperial March though she hasn't seen Star Wars!), apart from that it's the usual princesses and butterflies and such.

She speaks better Japanese than English- games are English practice for her- and can't read properly yet.

Any ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Desert
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try a nice dice roller like Pasha. Indigo is well-liked here, as are Survive: Escape from Atlantis! and Qin. My daughter's favourite is Bloqs, but that might be hard to get hold of in your neck of the woods whistle.

Of course, the ultimate in story-telling is Mice and Mystics - my son and I are going to start chapter five today.

FYI, my daughter is almost four, my son is seven and a half.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad R
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 5 (soon to be 6 this weekend) daughter likes Forbidden Desert and Ticket to Ride as well. Her newest game that she pulls out to play more frequently is 7 Wonders. She has picked up on the game very well and has started realizing the card chains and most of the scoring system. I would highly recommend that one.

She asked for Relic Runners for her birthday. It seems like one right up her alley with Days of Wonder and the thematic jungle (she likes Lego Indiana Jones as well). On the surface, it looks like, but when you get to the strategy, it will build. obviously, I can't review that as it is wrapped and awaiting the birthday but I can report back in a week or so as I am sure she will want to play it alot once it is opened.

I also purchased "Goblins Drool, Fairies Rule" and "Bohnanza" for her as they looked light enough for her but strategic enough for the wife and I (Bohnanza more than GDFR).

I will subscribe to see what else everyone is recommending
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Uhrich
United States
Dillsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Mice & Mystics. My son loves that one.
Catan: Junior is another of his favorites.
I haven't played it with my son yet, but a friend recommends Castle Panic highly for young kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also suggest Bohnanza IF it's not just the two of you. Great game that plugs into the set collection aspect she's already familiar with. But it requires 3 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
10 Days in Asia (or any of the games in the 10 Days in... series)
Love Letter
Hey, That's My Fish!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
Sometimes the 2 of us, sometimes my wife too. Impressed by all the good recommendations so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd second Goblins Drool, Fairies Rule!, partly because it is a cute little game with lovely illustrations, but also because the game is all about rhyming and if your daughter is building her English and reading skills it could be a fun bit of practice.

At that age, I would have to recommend Sleeping Queens, which requires basic maths/numeracy (adding up to 10) and the only reading is the names of the cards, which are there for flavour only. Plus, if your daughter is into princesses, this may be just the job (queens rather than princesses, but I'm sure it'll be fine).

You might also like to consider Catan Junior, which I recommend to just about everyone with youngish children. It has a good feel of the original settlers, but with simpler and shorter game play and some great components. No reading required for this one, and it's not bad for the adults who are joining in, which has to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Drink
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Castle Panic.

This one is a favorite of my 7 year-old nephew, who also enjoys TTR, Carcassonne, and Forbidden Island. The monster art is more goofy than scary, plus it's a co-op, which I think is ideal for helping younger gamers develop their strategies.

Another we've had success with is Kingdom Builder. The rules for placing pieces are easy to grasp, and those colorful boards get the imagination going. We usually play with the more basic builder/goal cards (fishermen, miners, merchants, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad R
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, forgot Castle Panic was the very first game that we got as a family on our journey into board games! She loves that one as well (I have the wizards tower on my wish list). Also, for math purposes, check out Numbers League. Sort of card drafting to add up numbers to defeat a supervillain of a certain sum.

You could always check out the Vassel girls video reviews or board game family on youtube for more kid friendly reviews as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad R
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep seeing Sleeping Queens on B&N's shelves and am tempted to purchase...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonya ~
United States
California
flag msg tools
Labyrinth
10 Days in Africa or 10 Days in Asia or 10 Days in Europe or 10 Days in the USA
Indigo
Hey, That's My Fish!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KK Su
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any of the games in this Geeklist:

The Games We Play List
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Harding
United States
Mount Pleasant
South Carolina
flag msg tools
merely a dingbat pushing little wooden bits around a game board
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings from one Harding to another.

We recently discovered that we have a friendly local game shop nearby with a huge selection of games to play, nearly a quarter of which are kids/family games. When I pick my 5yo daughter up from school on rainy days, we frequently head there to play a few games before dinner. With so many games to pick from, we usually play each game only once per visit, but I know we've got a hit on our hands when she asks to play a game again more than two visits in a row.

We've purchased a couple games that have been getting a lot of play at home:
The Magic Labyrinth is tons of fun. There have even been a few adult-only rounds played with our casual-games-only extended family. Everyone loves it, kids to adults.

We recently bought The Three Little Pigs. My daughter enjoys it. It gives the opportunity for strategic thinking, but she hasn't quite caught on to that yet. She just likes building houses as pretty as possible. I haven't rated that game yet, I want to play it a few more times before I give it a rating. But as a kids' game, I imagine my rating will be in the 6-8 range.

Games we've enjoyed at the shop:
Get Bit! I suspect this may be mostly because of the little figurines, but hey, she loves it, and asks for it every time we go.

We loved Toss Your Cookies, but it's a 3-player game, and most of the time it's just the two of us, so we haven't had the opportunity to play it more than twice. I think this one would be fairly fun for all ages, and it's on our wishlist to buy.

HABA games have been hit-or-miss. She loves Gary Gouda. I'm not as high on that one, but it's fine. I like Animal Upon Animal, and she seems to enjoy when we play it, but she's never requested it on her own. I didn't much care for Sleepy Princess, and was afraid she would ask for it again because she spent a lot of time playing make-believe with the figurines, but she hasn't asked for it. Most of the HABA games wouldn't be a huge hit with the older crowd, I suspect.

We recently bought Rumble in the House, and she enjoys playing it with us, but we've only played a couple times, and it remains to be seen if she'll tire of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Durtschi
United States
Cottonwood Heights
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my 6 year old's favorite games is Zooloretto. It's a fun game of collecting animals and managing your zoo. It is very easy for kids to understand.
Also he really likes Pecking Order (two players). It is a good game where you compete for perches by trying to kill the other persons birds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agen7_0range wrote:
I keep seeing Sleeping Queens on B&N's shelves and am tempted to purchase...

It's good. My daughter (8) likes it, and my son (4) can play with us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morse
United States
Stoughton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Gengar in Hawaii
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you feel about Pokemon?

I have 3 daughters who all loved them and, surprisingly, I found the whole Pokemon oeuvre to be far more tolerable (dare I say, enjoyable) than other girlish things like princesses and ponies.

Pokémon Trading Card Game is pretty text-heavy, but she'll learn quickly if she's into it, I promise. Actually, buy her a Gameboy and the Pokemon games IN ENGLISH and watch those language skills take off!

Dad's perspective: The Pokemon game is a higher quality, better balanced game than MtG. Seriously, I mean it. You can play fine with the standard card packs, and buy the occasional booster as a treat. Skip the whole gotta-buy-the-bigger-better-more-expensive single card B.S. of MtG.

I'll also weigh in with my opinion that Pokémon Master Trainer was a decent game, and Monopoly: Pokémon isn't bad either - better than the original, anyway.

Not to mention that the game skills learned in the card game, in particular, easily translated to other games. There is a decent amount of tactical and strategic thinking hiding behind those cute, little monsters.

My daughters are all grown and out of the house now. All three play Euros and one is a budding designer. They still look back fondly on the Pokemon days. Through its multiple iterations - cartoons/movies, Gameboy, cards and board games - I would say the Pokemon franchise supported literally hundreds of hours of daddy-daughter and sisterly bonding. Can't ask for better than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.