Subject: 7th action corn cost - what is the point? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Walker
msg tools
mbmb
Hi,

Maybe this has been discussed before ..

But what is the point in having a corn cost on the very last action space (meaning the very last spot before the worker is kicked out of the gear)?

My only idea is that the designers had the expansion already in mind, knowing that there would be a tribe whose 'ability' would be to place+remove a worked on the same turn.

Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well... I suppose it could be a way to guarantee that no one does a double advance this turn. If you know that the player on the next to last spot is pulling off this turn, then that's the only spot you could take to prevent it right? Admittedly, I doubt it would ever be a good move, but possibly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah it's a very niche application and it can be dealt with without adding a new rule so this is a simple way to deal with it. The only time it's worth it is when you have several workers on that wheel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Boyen
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Well... I suppose it could be a way to guarantee that no one does a double advance this turn. If you know that the player on the next to last spot is pulling off this turn, then that's the only spot you could take to prevent it right? Admittedly, I doubt it would ever be a good move, but possibly.

this isn't true, as a double move is only not allowed, when it would move a person of the board with the second part of the turn. You are not looking at pawns that would move off anyway.

I think it is more for having flexibility for a possible expansion, and probably for giving all the fields the same look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Ackerman
United States
Palm Beach
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Placing on spot 7 doesn't prevent a double turn. (Placing on spot 6 does.)

I brought this up on the BGA forum and there actually was a crazy but valid response. Suppose your board indicates you used up your double-turn AND you are at the top of one of the temples AND you want to beg for corn so you can drop down that temple and subsequently move back up to reset your double-turn AND you have 7, 8 or 9 corn AND a 7 spot is available (Yes, that's a lot of ANDs!) then you would place on 7 to deplete your corn to less than 3, beg the next turn and go from there. Extremely unlikely, but possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karian wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

this isn't true, as a double move is only not allowed, when it would move a person of the board with the second part of the turn.
You're right... I forgot that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Karian wrote:
I think it is more for having flexibility for a possible expansion, and probably for giving all the fields the same look.

One of the tribe powers in the expansion actually gives the player an 8th space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.