Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: Time for B-Type D'Deridex rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok first off let me say that this comes from a bit of a fan boy stance, as the D'Deridex is my all time favorite Star Trek ship. The D'Deridex is so under gunned for what it is supposed to be. It is just pathetic that it has the same primary weapon value as the Ferengi Marauder, or the 70 year old Constitution & D7 classes.

I know we have to keep show and game separate, but the game should come close to representing what we see on screen. For this reason I would like to see a B-Type or Advanced D'Deridex introduced, something like:

5 Attack
2 Evade
6 Hull
3 Shields
32 for a generic and 34 for a named with one more shield.

I would even be happy with a 4 attack, but given the fack that the D'Deridex is a little smaller than a Jem H'dar battleship I think 5 is appropriate.

I know a lot of people will say "wait for the Scimitar", but that's not really a Romulan ship. Plus the Scimitar doesn't make up for the fact that the D'Deridex was short changed.

There are plenty of named Warbirds from the shows to represent an advanced model plus lots of named Romulans left, Sela and Admiral Mendak spring to mind. Now that we have Bio Ships and Borg swarming us does anyone else feel that the D'Deridex deserves a refit? After all we will be getting a Constitution class refit, how about some love for the Romulans?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pitner
United States
Plano
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree and disagree with you. I agree that the D'Deridex feels a little under powered. That 3 primary does hurt. I disagree with the 5. I could see an argument for 4 PWV. Also keep in mind that this would thematically represent the Romulan disruptors. Just like with the Federation if you want that 4 or 5 attack dice you have to add on a secondary photon or plasma torpedo.

Yes, it would make a Khazara cost 35 for the ship plus torpedoes that require a TL and they disable, and I understand that frustration. I would really enjoy a card (and it unfortunately might have to be a resource) that lets you fire a secondary weapon without either a target lock or disabling it. It's similar in concept to the Gor Portas ship ability. I don't know how it would play test with Federation CL9 alpha strike, but it would be nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not even as though such a ship goes against canon.

When the Tal Shiar and Obsidian Order attacked the Dominion (and failed) they did so in a joint fleet of "Advanced" Keldons and "Advanced" D'Deridexs.

The Keldons gained Romulan Cloaking Technology from the alliance who's to say the D'Deridexs didn't get improved weapons from it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I said I do look at it through fan boy eyes so 5 attacks base might be a debate, but it should have at least 4. The D'Deridex is always a match for Enterprise in the show. Picard always has the sphincter pucker look to him when one decloaks in front of him . That just wouldn't happen if the big D out gunned them.

Though I would think the size of the Warbird would justify the 5 attack without relying on photons. The D'Deridex is more that twice enterprise's size I think it having 1 more attack makes scenes.

When you get down to it was probably a victim of being in the starter set. It couldn't out shoot the enterprise right out of the box or out gun the big bad klingons. 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Primary Weapon Value isn't everything. They did also have a healthy complement of torpedoes (as most of those large ships do), which *is* 5 attack in the game.

Since we're dealing with a game of abstract numbers, I've never found the stats on the warbird offensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Romer
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr S Baldrick wrote:
As I said I do look at it through fan boy eyes so 5 attacks base might be a debate, but it should have at least 4. The D'Deridex is always a match for Enterprise in the show. Picard always has the sphincter pucker look to him when one decloaks in front of him . That just wouldn't happen if the big D out gunned them.

Though I would think the size of the Warbird would justify the 5 attack without relying on photons. The D'Deridex is more that twice enterprise's size I think it having 1 more attack makes scenes.

When you get down to it was probably a victim of being in the starter set. It couldn't out shoot the enterprise right out of the box or out gun the big bad klingons. 

You can't use size to determine firepower. If you did would you give a kazon predator a 5 also? Note:I play Romulans almost exclusively and agree with the frustrations of the D'deridex. They need more firepower. They shouldn't outgun a Valdore class though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a problem with them out gunning a Valdor. We don't really have that much cannon material to compare the Valdor class to other ships. There was only the one battle in the Basen Rift and only 3 ship types present. Non cannon references (video games & novels) cannot agree on the Valdor's capabilities. If anything I think the designers were a little generous to the Valdor because it is newer and shinier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LoneWolfPR wrote:
Mr S Baldrick wrote:

You can't use size to determine firepower. If you did would you give a kazon predator a 5 also? Note:I play Romulans almost exclusively and agree with the frustrations of the D'deridex. They need more firepower. They shouldn't outgun a Valdore class though.

Your right size is not a total indicator of fire power, but the D'Deridex isin the same weight class as the Jem H'dar battleship and like the dominion the Romulas are a military based society. So its only logical that the size of their ships would help reflect the fire power. Also with most star ships in the trek verse the bigger the more powerful. It's not always true but most of the time it is.

The Kazon yes the have big ships, but I think their attacks will be slightly less because they don't know how to use their full potential. The Kazon stole their ships from the Trabe so they probably don't know how to maximize firepower or maintain them properly. Plus that hair gets in the tactical officers way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Stair
United States
Macon Area
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There will be a B-Type D'Deridex its called Reman Warbird Scimitar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Romer
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr S Baldrick wrote:
I don't have a problem with them out gunning a Valdor. We don't really have that much cannon material to compare the Valdor class to other ships. There was only the one battle in the Basen Rift and only 3 ship types present. Non cannon references (video games & novels) cannot agree on the Valdor's capabilities. If anything I think the designers were a little generous to the Valdor because it is newer and shinier.

Well if you think of the Romulans as a militaristic society bent on ever improving their might then you'd expect the Valdore class to be more powerful. The D'deridex is the venerable warhorse. It's battle tested, and a big powerful beast, but I can't imagine the Romulans releasing a new warbird of that size without it being at least as powerful as the D'deridex. It just wouldn't make any sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LoneWolfPR wrote:
Mr S Baldrick wrote:

Well if you think of the Romulans as a militaristic society bent on ever improving their might then you'd expect the Valdore class to be more powerful. The D'deridex is the venerable warhorse. It's battle tested, and a big powerful beast, but I can't imagine the Romulans releasing a new warbird of that size without it being at least as powerful as the D'deridex. It just wouldn't make any sense.

Personally I always saw the Valdor as more of a strike cruiser as opposed toa dreadnought. I see the Valdor using speed and agility over raw firepower and bulk. In a perfect world I would liked to have seen the Valdor at:

4 Attack
3 Evade
5 Hull
2 Shields
28 total 30 for named.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lars mallach
msg tools
mbmb
I agree I wish the Warbird had more firepower, but I think the game designers had in mind Romulans sneaking around the board and then opening up with a salvo of torpedoes when the time is right then sneaking off again. In a head to head charge against the Klingons in this game they will most likely lose. I think the idea by the designers in this game was patience.

On the size note, yes a Warbird looks very large. However it is mostly hollow, giving a foreboding presence.

I wish the Warbird was a 4 dice attach as well but I'll deal with it. They probably should have evened it out by lowering other ships weapon stats instead(except of course the Defiant which should be at least a 4). When I see a B'rel class bird of prey having more firepower then a warbird I am admittedly a little miffed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.