Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Klingons only need apply rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Downey
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
For an up coming tholian web tournament the TO is considering running it as TOS build only and faction pure fleetwide. I'm looking at the Klingons as the most viable (as is probably everyone else). So far I'm considering a fleet of K'Vorts (the ship is allowed but not the uniqueue named vessel or any of its cards). Being able to fire out your a$$ and do a 180 I think will prove invaluable in the tholian campaign. I'm trying to figure out synergies/tactics with what little tech, elite talents and weapons were available. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

K'Vort Class (24)
Klingon Captain (0)
Photon Torpedoes (5)
Ship SP: 29

K'Vort Class (24)
Somraw Commander (3)
Klingon Honor (5)
Concussive Charges (4)
Ship SP: 36

K'Vort Class (24)
Gorkon (3)
Photon Torpedoes (3)
Ship SP: 30

Total Build SP: 95

Generated by STAW Builder
http://www.dracossoftware.com/STAWHome.html
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have three k'vorts on hand, or do you have to buy one (or more) for the OP?

Just curious.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Coon
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
edowney wrote:
For an up coming tholian web tournament the TO is considering running it as TOS build only and faction pure fleetwide. I'm looking at the Klingons as the most viable (as is probably everyone else). So far I'm considering a fleet of K'Vorts (the ship is allowed but not the uniqueue named vessel or any of its cards). Being able to fire out your a$$ and do a 180 I think will prove invaluable in the tholian campaign. I'm trying to figure out synergies/tactics with what little tech, elite talents and weapons were available. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

K'Vort Class (24)
Klingon Captain (0)
Photon Torpedoes (5)
Ship SP: 29

K'Vort Class (24)
Somraw Commander (3)
Klingon Honor (5)
Concussive Charges (4)
Ship SP: 36

K'Vort Class (24)
Gorkon (3)
Photon Torpedoes (3)
Ship SP: 30

Total Build SP: 95

Generated by STAW Builder
http://www.dracossoftware.com/STAWHome.html


Is it TOS (the show) only or TOS-era and earlier only? If it's the latter (which your inclusion of Somraw Commander seems to suggest) then expect to see Cloaked mines and Romulan fleets, likely a pair of the mines in the center of the board.

This really is by far the most obvious and easiest way to get a victory in this scenario, as long as the Romulan player doesn't err in flying his ships. I just played the OP yesterday with a Cardassian build and was on the ropes until my opponent got both his D'Deridexes eaten by the web. Still lost the game but at a much closer margin.

So do consider that you will likely have to fly through minefields and potentially be hit by two minefields in one turn. The problem with the mines is that your choice will be to either skirt around them or fly through them in the early rounds. Skirting around them is ok for Cardassian and some Fed ships, but with your klingons of course it can mean at some points being unable to fire on your opponent while they can fire at you from the safety of the minefields.

I actually was considering a Klingon build for the OP with Somraw Commander on Kronos One keeping him back a bit from a pair of K'vorts (or a K'vort and Negh'Var in my case). If you go straight at your opponent coming in slow, you'll have maybe a turn or 2 of firing before you'll be have to just blast through the mines. And that's where it will really be a gamble.

Otherwise, I think your build is fine. Though if you have Chang, you could take him and an Elite Talent over Gorkon. Or slot Chang in instead of the other Generic captain.

Q'apla!



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't every self respecting Klingon player have 3 K'Vort's laying around? You can pick one up for under $10 on eBay usually and most people I know picked up a spare starter at one point just for the dice in the least.


Looks good. You are pretty limited with what you can do because of the time period that you are looking at. Are resources allowed? You didn't specify in your description. If they are, possibly drop Klingon Honor in favor of running a Flagship on Gorkon's ship. That's about the only suggestion I can think of for this scenario.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Downey
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
ooooo....hadn't thought of dumping cloaked mines out there. That would be nasty. May have to look into switching my list up....hhhhmmmm...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Coon
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ender02 wrote:
Doesn't every self respecting Klingon player have 3 K'Vort's laying around? You can pick one up for under $10 on eBay usually and most people I know picked up a spare starter at one point just for the dice in the least.


K'vort wouldn't be in the starter though. Personally I've been trying to avoid picking up a second starter.....but those dice keep whispering...and maybe that extra D'Deridex too. Personally I'm holding out for the extra dice packs at this point.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
Correct me if I'm wrong, but K'vorts were not in existence for TOS or TMP eras. The standard BoP was the B'rel at the time.


I did come to a similar conclusion and was looking at triple K'tinga builds with Koloth/Chang/Somraw Commander
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Coon
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
edowney wrote:
ooooo....hadn't thought of dumping cloaked mines out there. That would be nasty. May have to look into switching my list up....hhhhmmmm...


It wouldn't be faction pure at that point....and what self-respecting Klingon uses dirty romulan tricks eh?

In any case, certainly you need to think about how to deal with them. I do like the idea of a TOS-and earlier limitation for the scenario...it certainly keeps one from having to worry about Spheres showing up. When I was doing my builds my two biggest considerations were: How would I deal with cloaked mines? and How would I deal with a Borg Sphere? (And just praying that no one would be cruel enough to run to spheres yet)

In any case, you'll just have to keep in mind how you'll plan to deal with mines if they do show up. Avoid them? or Damn the torpedoes full speed ahead?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Coon
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Church14 wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but K'vorts were not in existence for TOS or TMP eras. The standard BoP was the B'rel at the time.


I did come to a similar conclusion and was looking at triple K'tinga builds with Koloth/Chang/Somraw Commander


I think the argument could be made either way. I think yes, technically K'Vorts would be TNG era, but considering there's only the one B'Rel out, maybe K'vorts are okay? wonder what the TO would say.

I do like the idea of Somraw Commander on Kronos One, it seems intriguing to me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Downey
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Oh yeah, if I went cloaked mines I'd have to go Romulans all the way. Like this:

R.I.S. Vo (16)
Romulan Captain (0)
Cloaked Mines (3)
Ship SP: 19

Romulan Scout Vessel (14)
Romulan Captain (0)
Cloaked Mines (3)
Ship SP: 17

Romulan Scout Vessel (14)
Romulan Captain (0)
Cloaked Mines (3)
Ship SP: 17

IRW Gal Gath'Thong (18)
Alidar Jarok (4)
Plasma Torpedoes (3)
Ship SP: 25

Romulan Bird Of Prey (16)
Valdore (3)
Plasma Torpedoes (3)
Ship SP: 24

Total Build SP: 100

Generated by STAW Builder
http://www.dracossoftware.com/STAWHome.html
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Downey
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
You know I'm thinking about this because I'm sure some of my peeps will be looking at the mines as well. How resilient would a cloaked K'vort be against cloaked mines? I mean yeah they could get three shots but I have 5 defense dice, right? And if I had an available action I could do an evade. Still that would be a pain to go up against.

I could see if you were a really good pilot you might be able to use the scouts to try and screw up your opponents movement by making them bump into them and try and get the web to catch them. Would be tough but could be done...

What's the turn modes like for the B'rel? How about the firing arc? Does it have a rear arc? I really do refuse to pay $70 for one of those...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Romer
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
edowney wrote:
You know I'm thinking about this because I'm sure some of my peeps will be looking at the mines as well. How resilient would a cloaked K'vort be against cloaked mines? I mean yeah they could get three shots but I have 5 defense dice, right? And if I had an available action I could do an evade. Still that would be a pain to go up against.

I could see if you were a really good pilot you might be able to use the scouts to try and screw up your opponents movement by making them bump into them and try and get the web to catch them. Would be tough but could be done...

What's the turn modes like for the B'rel? How about the firing arc? Does it have a rear arc? I really do refuse to pay $70 for one of those...


Evade won't help you against cloak mines because you take the damage during movement. So you wouldn't get to use an evade. The only thing you can do is play a scan token which allows for 1 less attack die on the mines, but if you're klingon you won't have that option.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Coon
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
LoneWolfPR wrote:
edowney wrote:
You know I'm thinking about this because I'm sure some of my peeps will be looking at the mines as well. How resilient would a cloaked K'vort be against cloaked mines? I mean yeah they could get three shots but I have 5 defense dice, right? And if I had an available action I could do an evade. Still that would be a pain to go up against.

I could see if you were a really good pilot you might be able to use the scouts to try and screw up your opponents movement by making them bump into them and try and get the web to catch them. Would be tough but could be done...

What's the turn modes like for the B'rel? How about the firing arc? Does it have a rear arc? I really do refuse to pay $70 for one of those...


Evade won't help you against cloak mines because you take the damage during movement. So you wouldn't get to use an evade. The only thing you can do is play a scan token which allows for 1 less attack die on the mines, but if you're klingon you won't have that option.


And the defense die won't do anything against the mines either. When you're cloaked, the mine damage will go straight to your hull. You never roll defense dice against mines.


Regarding your romulan build, remember that that scout vessels and science vessels are TNG era and beyond. So you'd only be able to use your Romulan Birds of Prey (Praetus or Gal'Gathong types). But the Gal'Gathongs with mines wouldn't be bad at all, theyre plenty maneuverable enough.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Coon
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
edowney wrote:
Oh yeah, if I went cloaked mines I'd have to go Romulans all the way. Like this:

R.I.S. Vo (16)
Romulan Captain (0)
Cloaked Mines (3)
Ship SP: 19

Romulan Scout Vessel (14)
Romulan Captain (0)
Cloaked Mines (3)
Ship SP: 17

Romulan Scout Vessel (14)
Romulan Captain (0)
Cloaked Mines (3)
Ship SP: 17

IRW Gal Gath'Thong (18)
Alidar Jarok (4)
Plasma Torpedoes (3)
Ship SP: 25

Romulan Bird Of Prey (16)
Valdore (3)
Plasma Torpedoes (3)
Ship SP: 24

Total Build SP: 100

Generated by STAW Builder
http://www.dracossoftware.com/STAWHome.html


Also, you really won't need more than two cloaked mines, since you won't have enough room to place a third since they can't be placed within range of other ships or each other...they can't overlap that is.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zinvictus wrote:
edowney wrote:
Oh yeah, if I went cloaked mines I'd have to go Romulans all the way. Like this:

R.I.S. Vo (16)
Romulan Captain (0)
Cloaked Mines (3)
Ship SP: 19

Romulan Scout Vessel (14)
Romulan Captain (0)
Cloaked Mines (3)
Ship SP: 17

Romulan Scout Vessel (14)
Romulan Captain (0)
Cloaked Mines (3)
Ship SP: 17

IRW Gal Gath'Thong (18)
Alidar Jarok (4)
Plasma Torpedoes (3)
Ship SP: 25

Romulan Bird Of Prey (16)
Valdore (3)
Plasma Torpedoes (3)
Ship SP: 24

Total Build SP: 100

Generated by STAW Builder
http://www.dracossoftware.com/STAWHome.html


Also, you really won't need more than two cloaked mines, since you won't have enough room to place a third since they can't be placed within range of other ships or each other...they can't overlap that is.


While you are right that you cannot place them near enemy ships, there is no reason that you can't overlap your minefields. Granted a ship can only be effected by one of them at a time, but if they move out of one and are still in another, they will still get hit. Overlapping them just ensures that your opponents will not be able to move into a spot where they are not getting hit by the mines.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Coon
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ender02 wrote:
Zinvictus wrote:
edowney wrote:
Oh yeah, if I went cloaked mines I'd have to go Romulans all the way. Like this:

R.I.S. Vo (16)
Romulan Captain (0)
Cloaked Mines (3)
Ship SP: 19

Romulan Scout Vessel (14)
Romulan Captain (0)
Cloaked Mines (3)
Ship SP: 17

Romulan Scout Vessel (14)
Romulan Captain (0)
Cloaked Mines (3)
Ship SP: 17

IRW Gal Gath'Thong (18)
Alidar Jarok (4)
Plasma Torpedoes (3)
Ship SP: 25

Romulan Bird Of Prey (16)
Valdore (3)
Plasma Torpedoes (3)
Ship SP: 24

Total Build SP: 100

Generated by STAW Builder
http://www.dracossoftware.com/STAWHome.html


Also, you really won't need more than two cloaked mines, since you won't have enough room to place a third since they can't be placed within range of other ships or each other...they can't overlap that is.


While you are right that you cannot place them near enemy ships, there is no reason that you can't overlap your minefields. Granted a ship can only be effected by one of them at a time, but if they move out of one and are still in another, they will still get hit. Overlapping them just ensures that your opponents will not be able to move into a spot where they are not getting hit by the mines.


Ah,you're right. I was thinking that was the case before the OP, but my opponent was measuring in such a way it looked like he was treating it as the fields couldn't overlap, so I figured he must know better since he's played longer. Alright. Yeah, in that case you could go for 3 cloaked mines, then your opponent is completely out of luck in this scenario!

We really do need a mine-clearing ability somewhere...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.