Descent: Journeys in the Dark» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Down for the Count: SoB PBF 2 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, come for another story, have you? Piqued yer curiosity, eh? Now if you promise to sit still and listen closely, I might have something special for you. A story that grows. The usual tales sung by the bards have long since passed and been forgotten, their only trace in the words of legends. This one, however, could take place right here, right now, having the power to shape both itself, its heroes, its villains, and the world around us. Be careful, for I do not tell it lightly: the true legends have the power to change the real world... Once the story starts unfolding, no one knows what will become of us... Will you learn how the world was saved by four brave people, previously unknown? Or will they meet their gruesome deaths at the hands of an evil force, that will soon come to claim us all?

Hello and welcome to this Descent campaign. This game will include the Sea of Blood campaign expansion, dungeon levels from the Road to Legend campaign, as well as the three main expansions: Well of Darkness, Altar of Despair and Tomb of Ice. And some House rules.

Dramatis personae:

Four brave adventurers have volunteered to brave the dangers of this world, and their evil counterpart also appeared from the shadows, eager to exploit their vices:

Overlord:
Duhtch

Heroes:
Corbon

Advice/commentary: anyone and everyone!

Moderator - collective
Cards - TBA

Rules:

Bold your orders! Non-bolded orders will be treated as commentary and I will ignore them! I welcome discussion/tactical planning but I need to differentiate game moves and fluff at first glance.

No modifying orders/inserting stuff in the middle of posts once posted!
Basically, if there is a roll or a decision in a post it should have no edits, period.
If there is not, edit away.

Please reread your posts before submitting. I can stand some typos but give me too many and my eyes start to hurt after a while :( browsers have spellcheckers built in, use them!

If someone makes an illegal/invalid action (i.e. against the rules of the game), all later orders, rolls etc. become invalid and the game rewinds to that point.
Some no-real-change-to-fix mistakes may pass to save effort, but don't count on it.

Maximum delay is 48 hours. The timer is off on weekends and holidays. This is flexible. If you know you can't make it/have an IRL problem/have a local holiday, post in advance that it will happen. If you know you can't continue playing, let me know so I can find a replacement. This is OK with me, given the commitment this campaign requires. Stalling isn't.
Generally speaking the expectation is that players should be checking around once per day - having the others wait for more than 24 hours when your post is needed should be the exception.

Only actions taken within the last 24 hours can be rewound/interrupted (OL traps etc)

Feats used during the OL's activations have been removed from the decks.
Feats used 'at the start of the OL's turn' must be declared before the OL starts his turn,
usually before the final hero ends his turn (usually during a hero's own turn the feat play can be declared in advance, but when a later hero has activated a glyph, such newly received Feats might still be played any time before the OL starts his turn).
The remaining Feat decks have been doubled in size.
OL interrupts will usually be 'obvious'. If not considered obvious by the heroes, the OL will explain why and if the heroes can show why the play is not reasonable the OL will withdraw it. Self moderation.
"Obvious" includes such things as pits and blocks played to kill a hero, or to waste a hero attack, or prevent a hero from reaching an important location.

House Rules
1. Terrain
The following props from SoB count as obstacles, and this should be a standardized House rule/interpretation: Barrel, Statue, Pipe Organ, Reef, Sandbar, Water (both), Weapon mount (both) and Whirlpool

2. Tentacles - see post 2

3. Divine favour. We will start without it, but if the score balloons out to a difference of 40+ we will introduce it then - more so that the imbalance does not screw up how everything else we are doing fits together than because we want it for itself..

4. Ship upgrades - only the hero doing the upgrade pays XP for it

5. Hot Cannons.
Change the final paragraph of SoB pg26 to:
At the end of the round, any hot cannon that doesn’t have a fatigue token on it (and therefore hasn’t been fired that round) is flipped back over to its cool side.

6. Multi-firing cannons.
Q: Can cannons be fired multiple times per round?
A2: Yes. The fatigue tokens placed on cannons after they are fired only serve to indicate that the cannons stay on the "hot side" the round after they have been fired. The fatigue tokens do not serve any purpose on a Coldsteel cannon and don´t even have to be placed on these.

7. Treasure Maps - Buried Treasure sites are treated as normal dungeons except they require 3 map pieces to enter. The reward is drawn when the fourth map piece is awarded (in the final level's portal)

8. Heroes. As per the hero change thread.
Ispher - 2CT
Eliam - +1 melee dice (2/0/2 traits), +1 Combat skill draw (2Com/2Ma/1choice)
Sahla - change ranged dice to magic (0/0/3 traits)
Lindell - 4CT
Sir Validor - +1 magic dice (2/0/2 traits, move magic skill to combat (2/0/1 skills)
Mok - melee dice to magic (0/0/3 traits)
Red Scorpion - 2 trait dice everywhere (2/2/2 traits), special can be used multiple times per turn
Tetherys - magic dice to range (0/3/0 traits), 1 Subterfuge skill to magic (0/2/1 skills)
Challara - 2CT
Arvel - Keeps 2 skills, not one (buying extra skills will cost her more)
Aurim - Special -> Alchemist
Shiver - 2CT, Willpower
Lyssa - 2 trait dice each in magic and melee (2/0/2 traits)
Additional suggestion for SoB Nanok.
Nanok uses RtL rules, but may only purchase new trait dice in pairs, one each on two different traits. This does not apply to upgrading existing trait dice.

9. The Count Avatar - the Count is modified as follows:
9.1 Monster upgrades changed to 25/30/30 for Humanoid/Beasts/Eldritch
9.2 Bloodsuckers is replaced by Ironbloods and Feeders
9.2.1 Wings of Blood, 5CT, All Ferrox get Fly and +2 Movement
9.2.2 Ironbloods, 10CT, All Ferrox get Ironskin
9.2.3 Feeders, 10CT, normal ferrox get Leech
9.3 Marius Bloodletter Lt is added, but may only be purchased if Wings of Blood is in play and does not have shadowcloak
http://s561.photobucket.com/user/DarkspeII/media/Descent%20A...
http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss56/DarkspeII/Descent%20...
Marius enters play at Weeping Reach (same place as Darkwind, but different Avatar)
9.4 Whenever a level option, boss, or encounter uses Razorwings, replace them with Ferrox. Whenever a level option, boss or encounter uses Ferrox, replace them with Razorwings (exception, Marius Bloodletter).

10. Lts
10.1 Sweetheart's Aimed/Grappled attacks cannot be dodged. His wounds are increased to 75 in silver and 150 in gold.
10.2 The Kraken. Tentacle rules of course. The Kraken can grow(reinforce) new tentacles (arrive/placed touching the head) for 4T copper, 7T/Silver, 10T/gold each, if there are not already 5 on the board.
10.3 The Void. Tentacle rules of course. The Void can grow(reinforce) new tentacles (arrive/placed touching the head) for 10T each, if there are not already 5 on the board.

11. Avatar upgrades
11.1 Death Head - Explosions only target 1 space.
11.2 Snake Eyes - 16CT.
11.3 Steel Coils - 15CT. Constrict does not take up an attack to use.
11.4 Bloodsuckers - See the 9.2

12. Plots
12.1 For both Fury of the Sun plot...
12.2 ...and Leviathan plot, any location that has a key or unrazed binding still on it can be 'entered' (ie visit the island and up to 2 levels of dungeon below that) even if it has already been entered before. No new 'discovery' CT of course.
12.3 A New Law - Split into 2 upgrades
"Weapon Registration" 16CT. Doubles the cost of weapons and cannons. Costs 8CT less if Drugs Ban is in play
"Drugs Ban" 16CT. All alchemists are closed. Costs 8CT less if you have Weapon Registration in play already.

13. Wild Vortex - current is south

14. Cities:
Gafford: Temple 2
Garnott: Market 2 or no shortages
Hardell: Add at least one more trait
Trelton: Special must be un-crushing-blow-able. This one is critical IMO. Market + Alchemist combo of at least 2 (1 each?)

15. Glyph chaining - use RtL dungeon level setup

16. RtL dungeons in. Promo heroes (not Tobin) in with all hero adaptions from other thread in.

17. Skill Changes
17.1 Holy Aura works at the beginning of the OL's turn as well as normal timing (see Hounds of War)
17.2 Alex the Wise adds his black dice/upgrade to Attacks with Runes or Staves as well as cannons.
17.3 Hand of death fails (and does wounds to the hero) on a blank but cannot be used during a Run Action.
17.4 Shadow Soul happens before anything else in a hero's turn and the hero counts his start of turn location at whichever location he chose (ignore the FAQ ruling that he can't use a glyph)

18. Feat cards will be used but all those which require conditional orders have been removed and others doubled in number.

Resources:

We'll use these codes, paste them as your dice in the GeekRoller:

Red Melee Die:
1custom6{iid:1057263;iid:1057256;iid:1057258;iid:1057260;iid:1057262;iid:1057261}

Blue Ranged Die:
1custom6{iid:1057251;iid:1057247;iid:1057248;iid:1057249;iid:1057249;iid:1057250}

White Magic Die:
1custom6{iid:1057267;iid:1057264;iid:1057264;iid:1057265;iid:1057266;iid:1057266}

Green +Damage Die:
1custom6{iid:1057252;iid:1057252;iid:1057253;iid:1057253;iid:1057254;iid:1057255}

Yellow +Range Die:
1custom6{iid:1057270;iid:1057271;iid:1057272;iid:1057272;iid:1057242;iid:1057242}

Black Power Die:
1custom6{iid:1057245;iid:1057246;iid:1057246;iid:1057243;iid:1057243;iid:1057243}

Clear Stealth Die:
1custom6{iid:1117791;iid:1117791;iid:1117790;iid:1117790;iid:1117790;iid:1117790}

Silver Power Die:
1custom6{iid:1117796;iid:1117789;iid:1117789;iid:1117795;iid:1117795;iid:1117795}

Gold Power Die:
1custom6{iid:1117793;iid:1117794;iid:1117794;iid:1117792;iid:1117792;iid:1117792}

Note: Roller will allow max. 3 kinds of custom dice due to character limit. If you have 4+ different dice, split them into 2 rolls.

If you include a commentary (e.g. roll title) in the roll, it'll get rid of the annoying code (it's still visible beneath the post if you really need to)!

(AND FOR GOD'S SAKE AND ALL THAT IS HOLY, USE SPACES (die + die) IN MULTIPLE ROLLS, OTHERWISE THE DESCRIPTION WILL BREAK FORUM TABLES!!
also I will seriously hurt you and set fire to your dog)

Descriptions:

I am a fluff description, brave heroes. Italicized text will tell you about your surroundings and give you hints on what dangers and rewards award you in the immediate area. But beware, as looks can sometimes be misleading!

Bolded text means in-game mechanics. For example: Big Ugly Monster hits Player for 26 damage -4 armor, Player dies and respawns in town. Lose 3 conquest tokens.

Normal text is commentary.

The maps will be posted every turn. A text summary of stats/visible cards/etc. will be attached.

Note: This post, including the rules, can and will change during the game. It is in your interest to check the OP once in a while. If the rules change, they won't be retroactive.

Table of Contents

Week 1: Heroes move to Hollow Woods and enter the dungeon there, level 1 is L62 No quarter, level 2 is L60 The Hideout and the heroes flee.
EoW OL7 H6

Week 2: OL purchases the Siren who moves to Cerridor Sea.
The Heroes move to Cerridor Sea and enter the Island level there, level 2 is L74 The Last Refuge, level 3 is L59 Jacob's Lament and the heroes flee.
EoW OL27 H23

Week 3: The Siren moves to Gafford and attacks the Heroes at Deadly Shallows gaining a TPK result.
Heroes Train at Gafford (Elven Sails, Hawkeye Cannon, Market and Silver dice upgrade for Laurel)
EoW OL39 H23

Week 4: The Siren attacks the heroes at Gafford at the Sandbar gaining a TPK result.
Heroes move to Orris encountering Dark Sails amidst a Tropical Shower
Puzzle Box rumour is places at Solace Mountain
EoW OL52 H25

Week 5: OL purchases Marius Bloodletter, who moves to Shellport. The Siren sieges Gafford (1)
Heroes move to Torrents of Dreadpeace and land at the Ancient Fort there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tentacles
The following rules will be used for Tentacles:

Q1. What abilities do tentacles have?
A1. Tentacles have the listed abilities of their owner (eg Swim etc). The Kraken's Tentacles have the abilities Swim, Ironskin and Regen 5. In addition they have all the usual functions of Tentacles. The Kraken's tentacles do not have the bite ability (Pierce10, Poison, Bleed) as that is a separate attack, not a normal listed ability.

Q2 and Q3. The Kraken and its tentacles move at different speeds and at different times. Yet the tentacles are restricted in their movement. How do these interact?
A3. This is a new additional rule for the Kraken/Void. All previous rules are still followed. At the end of each Kraken/Void Movement the Kraken/Void may choose to remove any or all tentacles from their current positions and reposition them in water spaces so that at least one of their spaces is adjacent to the Kraken/Void. Tentacles repositioned in this way do not affect figures they had previously ‘grappled’. After this repositioning the tentacles may be activated as normal. This represents the Kraken/Void withdrawing its tentacles temporarily.
A6. This is an additional new rule for the Kraken/Void. All previous rules are still followed. For the purposes of counting distance between tentacles and the Kraken/Void, all spaces on the Revenge count as one space distance from any water space adjacent to the Revenge. Effectively the Kraken/Void counts the entire Revenge as one giant space, but only for the purposes of checking distance between Kraken/Void and tentacles.
A7. This is a new additional rule for the Kraken/Void. All previous rules are still followed. Tentacles that are on Revenge spaces and are not grappling a hero may damage the Revenge. If not grappling a hero they may roll one black/silver/gold power dice (at copper/silver/gold campaign level) and each Yrolled causes 1 damage to the Revenge.

Q4. Are tentacles figures? How do they interact with other figures and LOS?
A1. Tentacles are figures, so they affect Brawler, Swarm and similar abilities. Unlike normal figures, other figures may move through tentacles and tentacles may move through other figures. Tentacles do not affect Line of Sight

Q5. How does Unstoppable interact with tentacles?
A2. Tentacles don't actually have the Grapple ability, they are just able to affect heroes as though they did have grapple. Since they don't have grapple, there is nothing to be immune to. So a tentacle may still constrict or move a figure with Unstoppable even though he is immune to grapple.

Ignore the FAQ tentacle rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hero rolls.
Zyla is out, due to OL pre-determining a humanoid favouring Avatar.
We are likely to use an informal system where the hero player can propose alternate (usually less powerful) heroes in place of drawn heroes, so long as they match, or nearly match, the same trait configuration. OL has to agree with the swap (of course, if he doesn't hero can just use the more powerful original draw!)

1. Andira Runehand
Arvel Worldwalker
Aurim
Battlemage Jaes
5. Bogran the Shadow
Brother Gherinn ***
Brother Glyr
Challara ***
Corbin
10. Eliam
Grey Ker
Hugo the Glorious ***
Ispher
Jonas the Kind *
15. Karnon
Kirga
Krutzbeck ***
Landrec the Wise
Laughin Buldar
20. Laurel of Bloodwood
Lindel ***
Lord Hawthorne
Lyssa
Mad Carthos
25. Mordrog
Nanok of the Blade
Nara the Fang **
Okaluk and Rakash
One Fist
30. Red Scorpion
Ronan of the Wild
Runemaster Thorn
Runewitch Astarra
Sahla
35. Shiver
Silhouette
Sir Valadir
Spiritspeaker Mok
Steelhorns
40. Tahlia
Tatianna ***
Tetherys
Tobin Farslayer *
Trenloe the Strong
45. Truthseer Kel *
Varikas the Dead
Vyrah the Falconer

Group 1 3D47 3D47 = (12 + 46 + 17) = 75
Group 2 3D47 3D47 = (15 + 22 + 46) = 83
Group 3 3D47 3D47 = (32 + 14 + 45) = 91
Group 4 3D47 3D47 = (10 + 17 + 47) = 74

spares 4D47 4D47 = (10 + 24 + 21 + 45) = 100

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 542524. corbon
  • 3D47 =
  • (12 + 46 + 17) =
  • 3D47
  • Mon May 5, 2014 3:42 pm
  • [+]
  • 542527. corbon
  • 3D47 =
  • (15 + 22 + 46) =
  • 3D47
  • Mon May 5, 2014 3:42 pm
  • [+]
  • 542530. corbon
  • 3D47 =
  • (32 + 14 + 45) =
  • 3D47
  • Mon May 5, 2014 3:43 pm
  • [+]
  • 542533. corbon
  • 3D47 =
  • (10 + 17 + 47) =
  • 3D47
  • [+]
  • 542535. corbon
  • 4D47 =
  • (10 + 24 + 21 + 45) =
  • 4D47
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
group 1: Hugo, Varikas, Krutzbeck
group 2: Karnon, Hawthorne, Hugo, (1st unique alt) Carthos
group 3: Thorn, Jonas, Kel
group 4: Eliam, (2nd unique Alt) Lindell, Vyrah

that'll be all for now, party composition discussion welcome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
Already a remark shake
10.2 is bizarre, because the Kraken can't be summoned at Copper.

Thorn is a must.

Varikas can be raised as a mage and is the only palatable pick in his group.

A party of Hawthorne, Thorn, Varikas and Vyrah seems well balanced. No need for your special rule IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
duhtch
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hugo and Krutzbeck are terrible
Karnon is bad
Jonas and Kel both are good picks, but Thorn is what saves this bad draw
Eliam is probably not best for this group, plus Corbon tried this in his last B team campaign vs Immortal. Lindel seems like a decent option.

Looks to me like

Varikas, Hawthorn or Carthos, Thorn and Vyrah or an optional Ranged character since you have played Vyrah a lot.

We talked on the side for an acceptable replacement. Choices are:

Arvel
Bogran
Grey Ker
Ispher
Laurel
Tetherys
Ronan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Merrimac wrote:
Already a remark :shake:
10.2 is bizarre, because the Kraken can't be summoned at Copper.

I think I was looking at the tentacle rules, which have copper values even though no tentacles are available in copper, when I wrote that. Not so much bizarre, perhaps, as unnecessary in part?

Quote:
Thorn is a must.

Indeed.

Quote:
Varikas can be raised as a mage and is the only palatable pick in his group.

Indeed.

Quote:
A party of Hawthorne, Thorn, Varikas and Vyrah seems well balanced. No need for your special rule IMO.

The special rule I assume you are referring too is not relevant for balance (it offers only like for like), but to counter playing with the same heroes all too often. I'm looking at a Vyrah substitute because I've played him (with or against) 2 or 3 times already in campaigns. He's actually tricky, because he's difficult to judge well the strength and therefore one of the hardest to choose what to swap in or out for. I think Joel has been fairly generous in the options he's given me there. I'm seriously tempted to fall into the trap of picking Laurel, because Varikas is a weak combat starter, Thorn will be the runner, and Hawthorne is good, but still no raw combat boost. Carthos is still under consideration, but slipping due to not fitting the best mage skills from SoB. Also I've played Carthos before (though only once). As always, much depends on the skills - and I'm not confident of drawing good ones, especially Lucky which is more or less needed for Laurel really.

Joel's comments are all spot on - except I don't feel any of the BvB heroes really got a game in. But Eliam just doesn't fit in this party due to the necessary presence of Varikas, and the lack of any other Ranger. If there was a usable ranger in another group I might be tempted to use him as a runner and Thorn as the primary combat mage (even though Thorn can do both jobs at once).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
group 1: Hugo, Varikas, Krutzbeck
group 2: Karnon, Hawthorne, Hugo, (1st unique alt) Carthos
group 3: Thorn, Jonas, Kel
group 4: Eliam, (2nd unique Alt) Lindell, Vyrah

Laurel is chosen as substitute for Vyrah, with permission of OL.

I decided that I could afford one 8W hero that hits hard, but that only worked with a 16W hero counterbalance, not 12W hero. So Hawthorne/Laurel wins over Carthos/Grey Kerr or similar.
Also having a 3dice melee hero matters a bit for ship handling.

I'm very nervous about the skills draws though, much more so than heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Combat Skills
1 Shark Tattoo
2 Mighty
3 Battle Cry
4 Beserker
5 Brawler
6 Runner
7 Enduring
8 Relentless
9 Tough
10 Counterattack
11 Die Hard
12 Ox Tat
13 Tiger Tat
14 Cleaving
15 Defender
16 Able Warrior
17 Swashbuckler
18 Nimble
19 Weapon Mastery
20 Captain

Ranger Skills
1 Lightfinger
2 Appraiser
3 Burglar
4 Pickpocket
5 Ambidextrous
6 Cautious
7 Master Archer
8 Gunner
9 Eagle Eye
10 Lucky
11 Trickster
12 Evasion
13 Dead Eye
14 Keen Sight
15 Piercing Shot
16 Marksman
17 Born to the Bow
18 Crack Shot
19 Precision
20 Spry

Magic Skills
1 Mage Cloak
2 Wild Talent
3 Prodigy
4 Brin's Mark
5 Ran's Mark
6 Wind Pact
7 Koll's Mark
8 Fire Pact
9 Necromancy
10 Vampiric Blood
11 Quick Casting
12 Boggs
13 Mata n Kata
14 Saj's Mark
15 Inner Fire
16 Alchemist
17 Blessing
18 Holy Aura
19 Hand of Death
20 Alex the Wise

Varikas C, C, W, W, 1st alt, 2nd Alt 6D20 = (14 + 9 + 15 + 16 + 5 + 13) = 72

Hawthorne C,C,C,C 1st Alt, 2nd Alt 6D20 = (6 + 20 + 17 + 4 + 4 + 17) = 68

Thorn W, W, W, W 1st alt, 2nd alt 6D20 = (17 + 6 + 12 + 13 + 1 + 17) = 66

Laurel C, R, R, R, 1st alt, 2nd alt 6D20 = (4 + 3 + 19 + 13 + 6 + 19) = 64

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 543402. corbon
  • 6D20 =
  • (14 + 9 + 15 + 16 + 5 + 13) =
  • C, C, W, W, 1st alt, 2nd Alt
  • Wed May 7, 2014 12:58 pm
  • [+]
  • 543403. corbon
  • 6D20 =
  • (6 + 20 + 17 + 4 + 4 + 17) =
  • C,C,C,C 1st Alt, 2nd Alt
  • Wed May 7, 2014 1:00 pm
  • [+]
  • 543404. corbon
  • 6D20 =
  • (17 + 6 + 12 + 13 + 1 + 17) =
  • W, W, W, W 1st alt, 2nd alt
  • Wed May 7, 2014 1:01 pm
  • [+]
  • 543406. corbon
  • 6D20 =
  • (4 + 3 + 19 + 13 + 6 + 19) =
  • C, R, R, R, 1st alt, 2nd alt
  • Wed May 7, 2014 1:01 pm
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Varikas - Cleaving, Tough, Inner Fire, Alchemist

Hawthorne - Runner, Captain, Swashbuckler, Beserker

Thorn - Blessing, Wind Pact, Boggs, Mata n Kata

Laurel - Weapon Mastery, Burglar, Precision, Dead Eye

Hawthorne is easy - Runner is an excellent skill, none of the others come close.
Thorn is also easy. Not the best selection given what else is available, but Blessing is quite acceptable, especially with Laurel in the party. Wind pact is nowhere near as valuable as in RtL so its pretty much a no contest there.
Laurel is also disappointing a little, but Dead Eye is still a more than decent skill.
Varikas is the worst draw - not bad skills in themselves, but nothing that suits his role. Tough is probably the only option that keeps his flexibility (he's not likely to be a glyph/trigger-er for alchemist given everyone else in the party is much faster and/or has a runner skill). But it doesn't actually do anything for him or the party. But, well, nothing else works really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kit
Varikas - Chainmail, Axe, 2x fatigue pot
Hawthorne - Chainmail, Hammer, 2x fatigue pot
Thorn - Immolation, Tunic, 2x fatigue pot
Laurel - Leather, Shieldx2, Throwing Knife, 2x fatigue pot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
duhtch
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great job on picking your hero team. I agree with your assessment. If you are taking Laurel, having two 16W heroes will go a long way (now one is 20W ugh!). Great job on skills. They have good synergy together with Blessing. Runner seems awesome.

I will be taking the revised Count as my avatar with

9. The Count Avatar - the Count is modified as follows:
9.1 Monster upgrades changed to 25/30/30 for Humanoid/Beasts/Eldritch
9.2.1 Wings of Blood, 5CT, All Ferrox get Fly and +2 Movement
9.2.3 Feeders, 10CT, normal ferrox get Leech

As far as plot goes, The Fury of the Sun and Leviathan plots are center around Island levels, which Thorn on his own, absolutely destroys.

So we will go with the Shadow Queen with The Sea Change to start.

Good luck to you Corbon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
duhtch wrote:

Good luck to you Corbon :)

I'd return the courtesy but it always feels a bit hollow doing that. In truth I wish you average luck. But much fun. ;)

Heroes Week 1 will do the slightly boring thing and move to Hollow Woods (1CT) and enter the dungeon there (after OL gains 1CT).
First dungeon level D74 dungeon level 1D74 = (62) = 62

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 543443. corbon
  • 1D74 =
  • (62) =
  • D74 dungeon level
  • Wed May 7, 2014 2:57 pm
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Week 1, First Dungeon level at the Hollow Woods, L62 No Quarter

Hero turn 1

Special
no special rules

Leader
Capsan is a Master Razorwing Ferrox with 8 extra wounds per campaign level. Capsan has Web, Fear 1 and Undying
M6 W14 A4 RYb Bleed, Leech, Web, Fear 1, Undying

monster options
E: Master Beastman, 2 shades, 2 medusa

CAMPAIGN STATS

Hero Conquest: 1 Humanoid monsters: Copper
Overlord Conquest: 1 (0 spent) Beast monsters: Copper
Total Conquest: 2 (Copper Campaign) Eldritch monsters: Copper

Hero Party upgrades:
Treasure Map 0/4
Home Port: Gafford
Revenge: Sloop 25/25W remain, 1x Coldsteel cannon (W +4R Kb no overheat)
OL Upgrades (Revised Count): Wings of Blood (free), Feeders (free)
Buildings used this week:
Market ()
Alchemist (5/5 remain)
Razed:
Lts:
Locations entered: Hollow Woods
Locations explored but not entered:

Overlord cards: 3 Threat points: 0
OL Cards in Play:
EYES ARE: Open

HERO STATS

Laurel: | Varikas:
8/8 HP 4/4 Fatigue Armor 2 Speed 5 | 20/20 HP 4/4 Fatigue Armor 4 Speed 3
Traits: Ranged 2 melee 1 | Traits: Melee 1, Range 2
Skills: Dead Eye | Skills: Tough
|
Hand 1: Throwing knife | Hand 1: Axe
Hand 2: Shield | Hand 2:
Armor: Leather | Armor: Chainmail
Other 1: | Other 1:
Other 2: | Other 2:
|
Potion 1: Vitality | Potion 1: Vitality
Potion 2: Vitality | Potion 2: Vitality
Potion 3: | Potion 3:
Backpack 1: | Backpack 1:
Backpack 2: | Backpack 2:
Backpack 3: | Backpack 3:
|
XP spent: 0 | XP spent: 0
Feats: 1 combat, 2 Subterfuge | Feats: 2 combat, 1 wizardry
---------------------------------------------------+-----------------------------------------------
|
Thorn: | Hawthorne:
12/12 HP 4/4 Fatigue Armor 1 Speed 5 | 15/16 HP 4/4 Fatigue Armor 3 Speed 4
Traits: Magic 3 | Traits: Melee 3
Skills: Blessing | Skills: Runner

Hand 1: Immolation | Hand 1: Hammer
Hand 2: " | Hand 2:
Armor: Tunic | Armor: Chainmail
Other 1: | Other 1:
Other 2: | Other 2:
Potion 1: Vitality | Potion 1: Vitality
Potion 2: Vitality | Potion 2: Vitality
Potion 3: | Potion 3:
Backpack 1: | Backpack 1:
Backpack 2: | Backpack 2:
Backpack 3: | Backpack 3:
|
XP spent: 0 | XP spent: 0
Feats: 3 Wizardry | Feats: 3 Combat

Party Gold: 0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Randomiser is up, so I now have my feats and have placed the heroes. Will send you the SoB files today - failed last night I guess because even the .rar is 16MB, so I'll have to break it down a bit and send in several bits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
corbon wrote:

I guess I'll make you roar, but you could have had a 5-dice hero if you wished. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
I'm more optimistic than Corbon about this party.

Runner is huge on a 4/4 fighter, not a good interaction in theory with Blessing but much better when the Blessed one is Thorn. Worth one more strong attack about anywhere when it counts, on round 1 of every non-island level.

Dead Eye is moderate, but really big on Laurel (at start it deals more extra damage than Lucky).

All in all, the party seems well-fitted to SoB needs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian D.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SoB, yay!

Quote:
I guess I know wich direction you mean but I think "south" is not distinctly clear. There is no compass on any of the ocean maps, neither in the rule book nor on the location cards, is there?
And while you're at it, please look at all the locations, I have found one more where the current might lead to unavoidable death (Giant's Teeth or so, pg. 85 german rules). (I thought about this a bit and since the death will be on later turns not the first couple, you might find this ok. The location then basically "only" forces the heroes to fight. Which is of course sometimes not really an option..)

An extra lieutenant, not sure how I feel about that. You're certainly right that other avatars have that also.
I like your razorwing/ferrox changes.

Hot cannons: agree. Multi-fire cannons: not so sure, but like it as the second shot will already be with overheated cannon, right?

Tentacle, yeah, big problems with RaW, but you adjusted that well, I think.

As I'm neutral I can wish Good Luck to both of you :-)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Merrimac wrote:
corbon wrote:

I guess I'll make you roar, but you could have had a 5-dice hero if you wished. :whistle:

Well, yes, but I've played with Karnon, not with Hawthorne, which is why there was never a thought of difference there. Its a small thing, not a big thing, the ship handling dice, just one more little factor.

Even though the first boss has Fear 1, I'd still prefer Hawthorne.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
duhtch
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Shade @L10, J5
Medusa @G3, N4

~~~

Also, I think the character sheet is slightly wrong. Laurel has 2x shield and 2 Vitality, not 3. Varikas has an Axe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
duhtch
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
oh yeah, the important part.

MBM @H11

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Merrimac wrote:
I'm more optimistic than Corbon about this party.

Oh its a decent party all right.

Quote:
Runner is huge on a 4/4 fighter, not a good interaction in theory with Blessing but much better when the Blessed one is Thorn. Worth one more strong attack about anywhere when it counts, on round 1 of every non-island level.

Yup. Makes it hard to defend glyphs and chests too.

Quote:
Dead Eye is moderate, but really big on Laurel (at start it deals more extra damage than Lucky).

Power pots man, power pots. A Lucky Laurel Aimed power pot attack is a thing of wonder.
Dead eye is still an excellent skill, and at least doesn't soak up resources to use, but Lucky Laurel is a game changer.

Quote:
All in all, the party seems well-fitted to SoB needs.

Yep. I was hoping for a good support skill like Blessing, Captain, Defender, Ran's Mark or Alex the Wise (revised) for Varikas, or failing that a generalist skill like Wild Talent, or even Hand of Death (revised) or Holy Aura (revised) for the difference. Tough is ok, but essentially supremely boring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BastiRand wrote:
SoB, yay!

Quote:
I guess I know wich direction you mean but I think "south" is not distinctly clear. There is no compass on any of the ocean maps, neither in the rule book nor on the location cards, is there?

There are on the original vanilla quests, and N is always at the top of the page.
As it is as default on any map, unless the map shows otherwise.

Quote:
pAnd while you're at it, please look at all the locations, I have found one more where the current might lead to unavoidable death (Giant's Teeth or so, pg. 85 german rules). (I thought about this a bit and since the death will be on later turns not the first couple, you might find this ok. The location then basically "only" forces the heroes to fight. Which is of course sometimes not really an option..)

My locations cards are buried in a box somewhere. No one brought it up (or if they did we looked at it and dismissed it) when we were working on the FAQ update.

Quote:
An extra lieutenant, not sure how I feel about that. You're certainly right that other avatars have that also.

Yeah, Thats important. Its no different really than what the other Avatars get, since the void is only available in gold. At least for a lot further than I've ever seen a SoB game last anyway!

Quote:
I like your razorwing/ferrox changes.

Thanks.

Quote:
Hot cannons: agree. Multi-fire cannons: not so sure, but like it as the second shot will already be with overheated cannon, right?

Right.

Quote:
Tentacle, yeah, big problems with RaW, but you adjusted that well, I think.

I hope so. I spent a lot of time on that trying to get working options and it was probably the biggest disappointment of the Final FAQ when they tossed it all away for a blundering Q&A of their own that created more more problems than it solved.

Quote:
As I'm neutral I can wish Good Luck to both of you :-)!

Heh. Luck is best about average. Good or bad luck for one side of the other leaves a slightly unsatisfied feeling, for me at least (not much, its just not the ideal result). Good FUN is where its at!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and so we kick off...

Hawthorne declares an Run action, pays 1F for Runner, moves S-S-S-SW-SW-NW to K12 and swings the Hammer at the Shade
RGbbbSt pt1 1custom6{iid:1057263;iid:1057256;iid:1057258;iid:1057260;iid:1057262;iid:1057261} + 1custom6{iid:1057252;iid:1057252;iid:1057253;iid:1057253;iid:1057254;iid:1057255} +3custom6{iid:1057245;iid:1057246;iid:1057246;iid:1057243;iid:1057243;iid:1057243} -> ( iid:1057263) + ( iid:1057253) + ( iid:1057243 iid:1057246 iid:1057246) -> (
)(
)(
) [+]

RGbbbSt pt2 1custom6{iid:1117791;iid:1117791;iid:1117790;iid:1117790;iid:1117790;iid:1117790} -> ( iid:1117790) -> (
) [+]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 543986. corbon
  • 1custom6{iid:1057263;iid:1057256;iid:1057258;iid:1057260;iid:1057262;iid:1057261} + 1custom6{iid:1057252;iid:1057252;iid:1057253;iid:1057253;iid:1057254;iid:1057255} +3custom6{iid:1057245;iid:1057246;iid:1057246;iid:1057243;iid:1057243;iid:1057243} =
  • ( iid:1057263) + ( iid:1057253) + ( iid:1057243 iid:1057246 iid:1057246) =
  • ( iid:1057263)( iid:1057253)( iid:1057243 iid:1057246 iid:1057246)
  • RGbbbSt pt1
  • Thu May 8, 2014 3:27 pm
  • [+]
  • 543987. corbon
  • 1custom6{iid:1117791;iid:1117791;iid:1117790;iid:1117790;iid:1117790;iid:1117790} =
  • ( iid:1117790) =
  • ( iid:1117790)
  • RGbbbSt pt2
  • Thu May 8, 2014 3:28 pm
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
start as you mean to go on...

last 2MP SE-NE to M12

Thorn declares an Advance action, teleports to L15, 1F to move W to L14 and shoots the Shade
WGbbbSt C1 pt1 1custom6{iid:1057267;iid:1057264;iid:1057264;iid:1057265;iid:1057266;iid:1057266} + 1custom6{iid:1057252;iid:1057252;iid:1057253;iid:1057253;iid:1057254;iid:1057255} + 3custom6{iid:1057245;iid:1057246;iid:1057246;iid:1057243;iid:1057243;iid:1057243} -> ( iid:1057266) + ( iid:1057253) + ( iid:1057246 iid:1057243 iid:1057243) -> (
)(
)(
) [+]

WGbbbSt C1 pt2 1custom6{iid:1117791;iid:1117791;iid:1117790;iid:1117790;iid:1117790;iid:1117790} -> ( iid:1117790) -> (
) [+]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 543988. corbon
  • 1custom6{iid:1057267;iid:1057264;iid:1057264;iid:1057265;iid:1057266;iid:1057266} + 1custom6{iid:1057252;iid:1057252;iid:1057253;iid:1057253;iid:1057254;iid:1057255} + 3custom6{iid:1057245;iid:1057246;iid:1057246;iid:1057243;iid:1057243;iid:1057243} =
  • ( iid:1057266) + ( iid:1057253) + ( iid:1057246 iid:1057243 iid:1057243) =
  • ( iid:1057266)( iid:1057253)( iid:1057246 iid:1057243 iid:1057243)
  • WGbbbSt C1 pt1
  • Thu May 8, 2014 3:32 pm
  • [+]
  • 543989. corbon
  • 1custom6{iid:1117791;iid:1117791;iid:1117790;iid:1117790;iid:1117790;iid:1117790} =
  • ( iid:1117790) =
  • ( iid:1117790)
  • WGbbbSt C1 pt2
  • Thu May 8, 2014 3:32 pm
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [34] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.