flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This refers to the VG second ed.

With quite a few other glitches occuring in the published rules/material,
I started to wonder if a stated province state income of say:

-1d6+3 which gives a range of +2 to -3 was not in fact intended to read:
-(1d6+3) with a result of -4 to -9

I am probably overinterpreting and the first (mathematically orthodox) reading applies but would be grateful for confirmation or correction.

(Could not discover a relevant entry in earlier threads)
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schulzetenberg
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've certainly always played it as the first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I presume you are looking at the Cilicia-Cyprus province. The VG card matches the AH card, which isn't to say that the original wasn't in err. However, one of the advantages of developing a province is to make it more profitable. The undeveloped side of this province has a state income of "-dr", or a range of -1 to -6. If you used your second interpretation, as you stated the range would be -4 to -9. I have no reason to believe that this would be correct and believe that the card as printed is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hastik
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, thank you for your prompt & helpful reply.

This was, in fact, the reading we decided on eventually.

There are nevertheless some funny things going on with state income from provinces vs provincial spoils, eg Sardinia et Corsica going from a highly unprofitable undeveloped state income of -1d6-1 (-2 to -7) to a still entirely unprofitable developed -1d6+1 (0 to -5) despite a significant increase in provincial spoils.

(It is of course very possible that some buried RPG memory, where one would habitually add or subtract 1d6+1, with the parenthesis implied, interfered here 5)

At any rate, thoroughly rewarding game.
Thanks again for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.