Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just printed out and put together the free game Brain Train put out just a few weeks ago. Looks pretty good, but I have to read the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Pipersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like a nice, neat job. Well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
essayons7 wrote:

Thanks. The graphics are pretty simple so there isn't a whole lot one can do to pimp this out. Can't wait to try this out. There are some interesting mechanics Brian has put into this little game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
patton55 wrote:
The graphics are pretty simple so there isn't a whole lot one can do to pimp this out.

Now what kind of an attitude is that?! A game can always be pimped out! Hell, the simpler the game the more it cries out to be pimped!

Now you go out there, like your avatar/namesake and you pimp the hell out of this thing!

Seriously, you've inspired me to print my own copy and go absolutely nuts on it*. I'm talkin' about Belli'ing this thing!

And we all know Pete can pimp a game like there's no tomorrow.

If you'd like to play Brian's game the files are located at:
http://brtrain.wordpress.com/2014/03/16/a-new-pnp-game-ukrai...

To learn more about Pete Belli and his predilection for custom scenarios and general game pimpery check out his portfolio:

Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb

* this is not a guarantee, time permitting blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Ick, I don't like the word "pimp", as a noun or a verb, but you guys please yourselves.
I hope you enjoy the game once you've put it together!
Usually the first thing people do with my games is make the components bigger and more easily read by aging eyes.
I admit I'm kind of miserly with paper and toner, from my days with the Microgame Design Group.

And for those who don't want to do the papercrafting, there is a VASSAL module for it too, thanks to
Martin Hogan
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

"Brian Train's Ukrainian Crisis" - sounds as if I've eaten too many cabbage rolls!

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a buddy who bought your Algeria game Brian, and then he took the map to Kinkos, strong armed the worker there to blow up the map bigger, and it ended up costing him just as much to blow up the new map as it did to buy the game. But it was worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
citizen k wrote:
patton55 wrote:
The graphics are pretty simple so there isn't a whole lot one can do to pimp this out.

Now what kind of an attitude is that?! A game can always be pimped out! Hell, the simpler the game the more it cries out to be pimped!

Now you go out there, like your avatar/namesake and you pimp the hell out of this thing!

Seriously, you've inspired me to print my own copy and go absolutely nuts on it*. I'm talkin' about Belli'ing this thing!

And we all know Pete can pimp a game like there's no tomorrow.

If you'd like to play Brian's game the files are located at:
http://brtrain.wordpress.com/2014/03/16/a-new-pnp-game-ukrai...

To learn more about Pete Belli and his predilection for custom scenarios and general game pimpery check out his portfolio:

Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb

* this is not a guarantee, time permitting blush

I'll check it out. Let me know what you do to "jazz" it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Kinko's is expensive all right, but they are all like that: I got a 22x34" JPG of the Distant Plain map printed up at a local quick-print place to do playtests and it was almost $40.

A better idea might be to scan the original 11x17" map, blow it up as big as you want using a graphics program, and print it out as a tiled PDF or something like that.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:
Yeah, Kinko's is expensive all right, but they are all like that: I got a 22x34" JPG of the Distant Plain map printed up at a local quick-print place to do playtests and it was almost $40.

A better idea might be to scan the original 11x17" map, blow it up as big as you want using a graphics program, and print it out as a tiled PDF or something like that.

Brian

Good idea. In the future, Brian, maybe you could post a PDF of the map or something like that, though I don't know how hard that would be for you to do. That would make things easier for me. I'm able to make nice colored prints at my work for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
That's just what I did for this game!
I do my primitive map work in LibreOffice (free, slightly better variant of the also free OpenOffice) and save files in PDF format, for printing or posting.
The Ukrainian Crisis mapsheet is laid out the way it is because making the whole 11x17" sheet map would have distorted the geography too much - there was no point in showing the western third of Ukraine, nothing's happening there. So instead the space is used for the record tracks, holding boxes, Foreign Relations Display and card play area, which are in constant use.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:
That's just what I did for this game!
I do my primitive map work in LibreOffice (free, slightly better variant of the also free OpenOffice) and save files in PDF format, for printing or posting.
The Ukrainian Crisis mapsheet is laid out the way it is because making the whole 11x17" sheet map would have distorted the geography too much - there was no point in showing the western third of Ukraine, nothing's happening there. So instead the space is used for the record tracks, holding boxes, Foreign Relations Display and card play area, which are in constant use.

Brian

And that is much appreciated. Thanks for sharing about the Libreoffice, I'll look into something like that for my own stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't remember the last time I paid for software - there usually seems to be at least two freeware alternatives for almost anything I want to do or get done, or I've been able to use software that came bundled with whatever second-hand computer I happen to be using at the time.
Of course some freeware programs are better than others; I've tried to learn GIMP which is more powerful but the interface frustrates me, Inkscape is easier to use but not as easy as Libreoffice.
I made my first maps using Clarisworks and MacDraw back in 1991, and I've even used Word to make counter sheets.
I've gotten a bit more sophisticated over the years but my needs aren't very high-level, for yea, I worship at the sparsely-decorated yet highly-functional altar of Redmond Simonsen...

Brian

PS: yeah, looking at the photo you posted you do have old rules - go back and get the set marked 30 March.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:
I can't remember the last time I paid for software - there usually seems to be at least two freeware alternatives for almost anything I want to do or get done, or I've been able to use software that came bundled with whatever second-hand computer I happen to be using at the time.
Of course some freeware programs are better than others; I've tried to learn GIMP which is more powerful but the interface frustrates me, Inkscape is easier to use but not as easy as Libreoffice.
I made my first maps using Clarisworks and MacDraw back in 1991, and I've even used Word to make counter sheets.
I've gotten a bit more sophisticated over the years but my needs aren't very high-level, for yea, I worship at the sparsely-decorated yet highly-functional altar of Redmond Simonsen...

Brian

PS: yeah, looking at the photo you posted you do have old rules - go back and get the set marked 30 March.

Yep, did that. Were there any other major changes made between those variations other than Economic changing to Information?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hogan
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

For those of you looking to upgrade the graphics: Take a look at the VASSAL module. I have done a little number on the cards, counters and some record tracks.

If you like those and are keen, you can either extract the graphics files from the module and print them - or you can persuade me to pull them out for you.

As for free graphics software, I have fallen in love with Inkscape. It takes a fair amount of learning, but there are a lot of free tutorials and manuals out there. And then it becomes extremely powerful.

Cheers,

Martin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sturmwind wrote:
Hi!

For those of you looking to upgrade the graphics: Take a look at the VASSAL module. I have done a little number on the cards, counters and some record tracks.

If you like those and are keen, you can either extract the graphics files from the module and print them - or you can persuade me to pull them out for you.

As for free graphics software, I have fallen in love with Inkscape. It takes a fair amount of learning, but there are a lot of free tutorials and manuals out there. And then it becomes extremely powerful.

Cheers,

Martin

Well.......

Any way you can put some of that in a PDF?

I will take a look at the Vassal Mod tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Changes are in the notes added to the post where you got the files. Think I just tightened up some language and added two airfields. But give them a good read first, and maybe download the charts too to make sure.

I neglected to mention what a great spiffy-uppy job Martin did on the graphics. I'm sorry Martin, these look really great!

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent job on the Vassal Module. Looks good. I just downloaded it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy M
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amused that there is a deck (?) entitled "Fuck the EU".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
moss_icon wrote:

It's the name of one of the events, not the whole deck. I'll now have to go google some of these events and read more up on them.

I like the fact Brian always (usually?) adds random events to his games, it adds flavor and replay value to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
moss_icon wrote:

This was before Yanukovich fled Kiev.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing Wendell. Nice to know where these event cards come From.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you liked that one.
Someone over in the UK liked the game but said he couldn't show it to "serious games people" because they'd object to the language on the card.
I replied that that was the actual language that "serious diplomatic people", to whom this crisis is not a game, used to describe actual events but in the end I had to concur with him: to many people, an unexpected four-letter word derails further thought on whatever the subject was.

Anyway, the effect of the card is to reduce the support of the EU countries for Ukraine towards Neutral, but the Ukrainian player can gain considerable Prestige out of it depending on the current inclination of the USA.

People who have seen my games know that I like random events and throw a few funny ones in.
The random events for this game I put together in mid-March when I was first designing the game and have not changed them since.
I came up with ones that had happened or seemed likely to happen at the time.
I had a limit of 12 Event Cards because that was what would fill up two sheets of cardstock with the 36 Resource Cards, with two left over for make-your-own events.
In hindsight, even though the crisis is not yet over, I would suggest an event or two that affects the Ukrainian Army's readiness; it appears that the Army mostly wants to sit this one out (I also read the other day that the 25th Airborne Brigade had been disbanded; can anyone confirm?).
Of course people are free to cook up even more Event Cards if they wish to shake things up.

And by the way, if anyone wants to skip the papercrafting for the cards, and almost all the die rolling, it is possible to play the game with a deck of ordinary playing cards.
This will also give a somewhat more high-powered game, as the 18 cards (Ace to 9, two suits) for each side give a total of 90 Resources to allocate during the game, versus the average expected total of 73 with the randomized die rolls on the cards (9x 1d4, 6 x 1d6, 3 x 1d12).

I wanted this game to be as simple as possible for people to put together rapidly, but there isn't any way to get around having to make up the counters, unless you want to do something like use physical substitutes - e.g. remember that a red Risk piece rolls 4 dice and a yellow Risk piece rolls 2, both shapes of macaroni roll 1, and the black licorice nibs cannot be eliminated in combat (though they can be eaten after the game, and eliminated even later).

However, it seems that the simple fact that this was a paper game, and not something cartoony someone could diddle with on his smartphone, dissuaded over 99% of the more than 1,100 visitors who popped in to look at that blog post the day I posted the game files.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael connor
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian, I'm thinking your Jesus Shaves game could possibly model some of this urban free-for-all fighting going on in the Ukraine right now. What do you think?? Lots of factions and chaos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I suppose it could... though it depends on what aspect of the fighting you want to explore.

I'm revising my Civil Power game right now, which is a tactical game that goes into aspects of crowd and riot control, and low-level gang warfare.

Virtualia (for those who tuned in late: a game about the urnban insurgency taking place in the capital city of the fictional nation of that name, after the departure from power and/or life of Jesus Shaves, charismatic strongman) might do for an operational look too, if it were done for an ethnically divided city - different neighbourhoods would have different attitudes, criminal and non-aligned gangs running about, degradation of civil services and authority - yeah, it could work, though it would not handle an actual invasion by Russian conventional forces: in this case, assume that if the Government player's political support zeroes out, then an invasion has been triggered, effectively ending the game.

Yeah, it could work.
But dammit, I have to sleep some time....

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
essayons7 wrote:
patton55 wrote:
Thanks. The graphics are pretty simple so there isn't a whole lot one can do to *plump* this out. Can't wait to try this out. There are some interesting mechanics Brian has put into this little game.
I have to wonder if there is "hidden employment" used within it overall? Another, were with concern for "simul~deployment" and even "HQ activation(s)" that utilize such with one another. Perhaps, 'moi' shall 'peruse'-&-'apprise' "such-&-much" M-O-R-E-! K? thx! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.