Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Windrim
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the Susanoo-no-Mikoto flavour text more or less confirms that there are multiple 'Gods' on the net, and along with the inevitable 'Chairpeople/Directors' for each Corp, I figure Wotan and Susanoo will be joined in time by Gods for NBN and Weyland.

The tricky thing is what sort of God would represent those factions - HB is pretty locked into the whole Norse Germanic thing, and Jinteki is very 'Sci Fi Japanese'. NBN and Weyland have less obvious cultural backgrounds. Assuming they pick stuff that most people casually know about (so no Czernobog or Lugh of the Long Arm or Nanabush) let's say that leaves

-Greco-Roman Pantheon
-Aztec/Mayan Pantheon
-Indian Pantheon(?)
-Egyptian Pantheon
-Biblical Figures

NBN already more or less has a divine saviour figure in Jackson (b'dm'tssssh) but I feel the smart money is on them not risking controversy by having a Jesus ICE that you can murder with a Parasite/Datasucker combo. Unless he comes back in 3 turns? (womp womp).

But, more seriously, NBN's whole deal is information - so one of the messenger angels (Gabriel, Uriel who watched over Eden, etc.) is a possibility but still seems like it might be considered too sensitive. Athena and Hermes both sound like they could fuel tag and or bag operations - or some insane part of me would want to say such an NBN god could be like a super Matrix Analyzer that lets you score agendas during runs but that would obviously be ridiculous and NBN would reign for a millenia. I feel like NBN is the squeaky-clean, snotty, stuck-up corp that's all about prettiness and PR, so a WASP-y looking Greek God would probably be in their wheelhouse.

Weyland, on the other hand, I feel Egyptian or maybe Aztec - one of the 'they built giant stuff' civilizations (in the pop culture imagination). Plus, Tyrant is already a thing. They could go for Tlaloc (god of growth and destruction from Mexico) or Set (evil god of murdering things ;3 from Egypt) - and I'd like to see them either be like batteries advancing other ICE click-free (someone save Salvage!) or allowing cheap ICE rezzes, something more creative than the (perhaps inevitable) "DO 9000 MEAT DMG YO": Weyland is already plenty kill-y, let's get back to the part where they build miracles (likely, I admit, to be a big part of the Lunar cycle).

But it should be an ugly, functional, powerful God - Weyland decks are great because (whatever they do) it's all "Dagnabbit, we don't need no fancy Astro-Trains or Brain-Drains or Mind-Games, we're gonna frack some oil sands then build a skyscraper on top of a national park full of pandas. Or throw a building at you. Whatever." I'm never sure about how crossover intellectual properties work...could it be Cthulhu? (That screams 'in-faction brain damage', which would be great but also, y'know, discourage anything but SEA/Scorched all day.

That said, I can't wait until there's a God for all four Factions, since Yu-Gi-Oh has taught me that when I collect all of the God Cards in one deck, I shall develop omnipotence over all reality due to the mystical properties of card games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weyland strongly reminds me of American folklore, or even "nature", with a lesser focus on... insects?

Folklore/Nature:
-Archer (I mean, it's interesting that an apple is being shot)
-Woodcutter
-Salvage

Insects:
-Burke Bugs
-Hive
-Swarm

And so for Weyland, I propose the ultimate God Ice:

Insectoid Paul Bunyan
Rez Cost: 12 / Strength: 6
Type: Mythic / Sentry
Each unbroken subroutine must target a different server.
-> Do 1 net damage for each ICE on target server that is advanced.
-> Trash 1 program for each ICE on target server that is advanced.
-> Give the Runner 1 tag for each ICE on target server that is advanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
Tyrant: Egyptian themed art.
Amazon Industrial Zone: Connection to mayans/aztecs

---

NBN, I wouldn't say jackson is really a Jesus figure, he's more like santa, bringing you gifts and spying on your children 24/7. Honestly, it's a pretty agnostic corp. However, they may already have their "god" ice:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouroboros

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Wieszaczewski
Poland
Wrocław
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uroboros is NBN's snake ice (together with Viper and Caduceus, we still wait for Jinteki's snake). God ice would be (as Wotan and Susanoo-no-Mikoto) unique.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Goodwin
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as theme:

Weyland would certainly want one of the classic "Creator and Destroyer" deities to complement their image. Assuming FFG would want to stick to 'dead' religions (so no Brahma/Shiva/Vishnu set), going Babylonian with Tiamat could work.

I like the Messenger or Commerce deity suggestion for NBN, either would fit well. I don't think Ouroboros counts, it doesn't fit the (presumed) pattern of being expensive and unique.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Townsend
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are Janus and Heimdall not gods? Much lightning bolt for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Schiffer
msg tools
Miaowara_Tomokato wrote:
As far as theme:

Weyland would certainly want one of the classic "Creator and Destroyer" deities to complement their image. Assuming FFG would want to stick to 'dead' religions (so no Brahma/Shiva/Vishnu set), going Babylonian with Tiamat could work.

Wait... Shinto's a dead religion?

As for other God's... I'm not entirely sure Wotan is even a God in that sense, since I have no evidence that he "dominates" a "certain area of cyberspace." He just seemed like the really awesome bioriod that resulted from Project Wotan.

The Cyber-Gods (if I may call them that) seem more like ad hoc confluences of data that gradually mutated and amassed into semi-sentient manifestations of code.In which case a Bioroid would not fit as god, but that might just be a matter of interpretation.

Regardless, to me the gods should key off the "certain area of cyberspace" part of the flavor text, that is, they have abilities that key off a certain server type. E.g. The HB god would probably key might key towards remote serves.

Some possibilities

NBN GOD: Invisible Hand
Code Gate- Deflector
Str 6
Rez cost 9

Sub1: The runner is now running R&D. If the run is unsuccessful the runner loses 2 credits and you gain 4 credits.

Weyland God: Ghost in the Machine
Sentry - Deflector
Str 8
Rez cost 11

Sub 1: The Runner is now running HQ. If the run is unsuccessful the runner takes 1 tag and 1 meat damage

HB God: Bull of Minos
Code gate - Deflector
Str: 6
Rez: 7

Sub1: The runner is now running a remote server of your choice. If they jack out during the run, they loose all remain clicks for this turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tempted to make an ICE that derezzes when you break its subroutines and then rezzes again after 3 more runs...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Schiffer
msg tools
Azgard12 wrote:
Tempted to make an ICE that derezzes when you break its subroutines and then rezzes again after 3 more runs...

That sounds like a mess to keep track of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LouisSchiffer wrote:
Azgard12 wrote:

You're telling me.

I'd also probably want to give it subroutines that turn credits into wine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Ribbenstedt
Sweden
Enskede
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Azgard12 wrote:
LouisSchiffer wrote:
Azgard12 wrote:

You're telling me.

Could be solvable with powertokens put on the ice after derez which are removed after runs/successful runs after that I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Barth
Germany
flag msg tools
Azgard12 wrote:

This is likely a reference the germanic tale of [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Tell_(play)]William Tell[/url], a marksman who is ordered to shoot an apple on top of his sons head in order to prove his marksmanship.

edit: Not sure what's wrong with the tag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sirprim wrote:
Azgard12 wrote:

This is likely a reference the germanic tale of [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Tell_(play)]William Tell[/url], a marksman who is ordered to shoot an apple on top of his sons head in order to prove his marksmanship.

Oops. I did mean for it to be that story, but for some reason I attributed it to like... George Washington or something.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Should be in Variants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
etherial wrote:
Should be in Variants.

Not really, it's speculation on future actual Netrunner, not proposing a variant or custom cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bowden
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I'm guessing that the Weyland god ICE will be called Ozymandias. It fits the Egyptian theme nodded to with tyrant and they can reference the quote "My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

Construction and destruction fits the Weyland MO too.

Not really sure what NBN's God will be but possibly Hermes who was the Greek messenger god and also a trickster - seems appropriate for a media corp. Also they have some Greek themed Ice already with Ouroboros.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Schiffer
msg tools
DGB246 wrote:

Not really sure what NBN's God will be but possibly Hermes who was the Greek messenger god and also a trickster - seems appropriate for a media corp. Also they have some Greek themed Ice already with Ouroboros.

So does Weyland, to wit Cadeceus. In fact, it kind of wouldn't make sense that Hermes is NBN but his staff is weyland.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Goodwin
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LouisSchiffer wrote:
Wait... Shinto's a dead religion?

Fair point, I was thinking more of the Norse pantheon that they've been focused on so heavily. What I meant was that they probably won't print something considered likely to offend someone's religious sensibilities. Susanoo, or any other kami, are perhaps not considered by practitioners of Shinto to be as sacred as Jesus/Muhammad are to Christianity/Islam.

If this isn't the case, then maybe there's a cultural sensitivity issue that's been overlooked. It's easy to do this inadvertently; for example, in Native American tradition, stories of Coyote are only supposed to be told in the winter ("when there's snow on the ground"). It can make some people uncomfortable to encounter them outside of that 'proper' context, and you would never know until someone told you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Meyer
Germany
flag msg tools
Empires wrote:
Are Janus and Heimdall not gods? Much lightning bolt for you.

Wotan, Tyrs Hand, Fenris
HB is far into the norse mythology..
I do think we'll see another Bioroid in that theme

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Zebadiah wrote:
etherial wrote:
Should be in Variants.

Not really, it's speculation on future actual Netrunner, not proposing a variant or custom cards.

Speculation is another game entirely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott C
United States
Troy
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Parasitetwin wrote:
Azgard12 wrote:
LouisSchiffer wrote:
Azgard12 wrote:

You're telling me.

Could be solvable with powertokens put on the ice after derez which are removed after runs/successful runs after that I guess.

This doesn't work, though, because the text on the ice becomes inactive when it's de-rezzed -- so you can't have any instructions on manipulating counters on the ice itself.

More likely, would be text on the ice that instructs it to be bypassed when approached based on the presence or absence of counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.