Popular Tags: [View All]
William Jason Raynovich
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,
So, this was my first wargame purchase. Boy there is a story that goes along with that. . . . Anyway, I played it solo and repurchased it a year ago. I read the rules and reread them today. I now know why I love the Avalon Hill style outline rule style. Anyway, I am having a difficult time with Part 8, Section A. I cannot believe what I am reading. The passage:

A. WHO MUST ATTACK

All Enemy Units that have Friendly Units in their ZOC's must be attacked by the Friendly Player's units in the COMBAT PHASE. All units that begin their COMBAT PHASE in a hex in an Enemy ZOC must attack some Enemy Unit during the COMBAT PHASE. The attacking Player chooses which of his units will attack each defending unit, as long as all adjacent Friendly Units participate in an attack, and all adjacent Enemy Units (other than the Union Train Unit) are attacked. Attacks against the Union Train Unit are always voluntary. A Friendly Unit cannot move into the ZOC of more than one Enemy Unit if that unit is the only Friendly Unit within the Enemy Unit's ZOC. A hex in an Enemy ZOC can be attacked by as many Friendly Units in the 6 surrounding hexes as the Player wants and by as many Artillery Units as are within range. However, no unit can attack more than once per COMBAT PHASE, and no enemy Unit can be attacked more than once per COMBAT PHASE. Infantry and Cavalry Units can only attack Enemy Units that are next to them.

OK. . . . . .

What does that bolded sentence mean? I have read it and read it. . . .

It seems to imply that DURING the movement phase a unit can only move adjacent to a line of enemy units at either end. A unit cannot move adjacent to two hexes of Enemy Units. Please help me. . . . .

I can bet that if I got the revised rules that this would not be an issue. I am curious as to what I am reading wrong. If I am wrong. What am I missing?

William
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Powers
United States
Triangle
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what I believe the rule is saying:
If the friendly unit is the only unit in an enemy unit's ZOC the friendly unit cannot move so as to be adjacent to another enemy unit (and thus be able to attack that other unit). It is locked in combat with the enemy unit.

Now, if another friendly unit moves adjacent to the enemy unit (and can thus attack it). Your original friendly unit is free to move and engage another unit.

Not saying I am right, but this is how I would interpret the rule.

Good Luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Jason Raynovich
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Bill,
Yeah, after reading it this morning that is what I thought it might mean. . . . However, that should be, I would argue, in the rules portion of the rules. That is a quite common kind of rule.

That being said. . . . It is confusing. No?

William

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monty Jasper
United States
Sandusky
Ohio
flag msg tools
Dash Ptolemy Dog
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi William,

I too have struggled with these rules. There are a lot of other rules in that same set with double negatives and they require a lot of thought.

I picked up this rule when I last played and had to think about it as well. I think it means that a commander can't send one brigade into a hex where several enemy brigades are exerting their zone of control. You have to send two brigades into this kind of situation.

It kind of makes sense if you think about it. A single brigade sent into attack several brigades would probably be a mistake. A knowledgable commander would send in more help if he knew the situation.

If you are faced with a situation where there is only one brigade available, you would have to stand off and not attack. The single brigade would have to wait for the enemy to come to them.

If a single brigade was already in the zone of control of several brigades, it would stay there and have to attack. It did not move so the rule does not apply.

That was the only way that I made sense of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Jason Raynovich
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmmmm...... See, yeah that is where I thought it was going. However, the potential issue I saw is with a line of units then, if you "rules lawyered" it would not be able to advance on an opposing line of units except for if it start at one end. However, now that I am rereading it, I do like what you pointed out. . . ONE unit. It says nothing about TWO units. So, I think we might tonight play with the rule as that. While I am hesitant to think that that is what was intended. I kind of like it for tonight.

William

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monty Jasper
United States
Sandusky
Ohio
flag msg tools
Dash Ptolemy Dog
mbmbmbmbmb

Check out the rules summaries on this website. I am sure that they are better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.