Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Take-off A game where you play as an airline, not quite sure what kind of game to classify it as.
Sounds interesting. Sounds like the game-type might be pick-up-and-deliver, perhaps with elements of hand management and/or area control. How are points scored? Are you trying to be the airline with the most money at the end of the game? Or are you earning victory points based on successful deliveries and upgraded stuff? Or is there a more definite win condition like "first player to do X wins?" Maybe you're still working on that.

Also, seems like it would be cool if route ownership were an element. For instance, you get bonus points (or money) if you fly a passenger between two cities where you own airports (or an airport slot, with multiple players allowed to buy airport slots in a city). Anyway, I'm thinking there's definitely lots of potential there. I'll stay tuned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachery Cook
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Re: [WIP] Take-off A game where you play as an airline, not quite sure what kind of game to classify it as.
Is the a pick-up-and-deliver game style already? Is that a genre of game I should be looking into to help me strengthen my game idea? I'd say that's the closest thing to what I'm trying to create.

I'm still working out a way for players to win. I'm not sure if it should be the first player to build a complete airline, which would be to have five class 3 airports, including your airlines hub and have a full fleet of planes or if you should have to earn random goals that are flipped over and become more difficult as earn them. So if you already have a goal then you have to go for the second goal. The first player to collect three goals wins.

For example:

1st Goal: Own Three Class One airports
2nd Goal: Own Three Class Two airports
3rd Goal: Own Three Class Three airports

I'm still trying to work out a currency system, I'm not sure if I want to make fake currency or have pads of paper for people to write on. Sounds like it might cost a lot. Right now I have it as passengers or cargo you gain from transporting them can either be spent as money or spent for their reward actions to aid yourself or punish others.

To answer you other questions I will update my first post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, pick-up-and-deliver is a pretty well established game mechanic. See: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamemechanic/2007/pick-up-and-... for some info. Lots of games employ the mechanic. I'd say one of the best representations of this game type is Merchant of Venus (second edition), where you are a space-ship captain flying around the galaxy picking up goods and passengers and dropping them off at their destination planets. When you do so, you get money that you then use to buy upgrades and more goods. Firefly: The Game is another recent title that uses pick-up-and-deliver as its primary mechanic.

Also, for currency, you can always do a scoring track. Just have a spot on the main board or give everyone their own board numbered one to whatever. They place a token on a number on the track to represent how much $ they have. Not the best way to do it, but a cheap way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachery Cook
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
I'll have to check some of those games out and see if I can get hit with some inspiration to help make my game a little bit better.

I saw Firefly: The Game at Gencon last year and wanted to give it a try but never got to it. I'm thinking I could go with a token system as well, it might be cheaper this way too. So instead of a plane costing $2000 it costs Two Tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZacheryRCook wrote:
I'll have to check some of those games out and see if I can get hit with some inspiration to help make my game a little bit better.

I saw Firefly: The Game at Gencon last year and wanted to give it a try but never got to it. I'm thinking I could go with a token system as well, it might be cheaper this way too. So instead of a plane costing $2000 it costs Two Tokens.
There ya go. If the game will involve cards (e.g. For passengers and cargo) you could always print a money value on the cards and have the cards become currency once they have been successfully dropped off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachery Cook
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Oph1d1an wrote:
There ya go. If the game will involve cards (e.g. For passengers and cards) you could always print a money value on the cards and have the cards become currency once they have been successfully dropped off.

My game will use entirely cards and dice, though I'm thinking of having boards made for the Hubs, making it a central focus for the player, this is where you'd put your airports and planes to keep track of them, even your currency would go here.

I didn't think the game would be fun enough without the ability to manipulate certain things, so when you successfully drop off a passenger you can either spend them as currency or use them for special rewards, so a Family Vacation a weight cost of four gives you a profit of lets say $3000 or you could use it to make another player skips the phase where they'd reduce the travel time for one of their planes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachery Cook
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
The first post has been updated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.