Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Ames
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering if anyone can help me with this. Is it possible to fit all four mage builds from the core set into the two included spell books?

I'm looking to set up this game to make it as easy as possible for my game group to get into this game and cutting out the time it would take to rebuild every time you want to play a different mage would go a long way.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Harmon
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The apprentice builds will. A mage at the beginning and one at the end of the book. Just have to leaf through two mages spell books backwards of course. Spell book pack #1 basically has the priestess and beastmaster books.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes and no.

You could theoretically fit all 4 into the 2 spell books, but I don't know that you would want to.

Here's why: let's say you have mages A, B, C, and D. If you put mage A & B in one spell book, and mage C & D in the other, then you could play A vs C, A vs D, B vs C, B vs D, but you couldn't play A vs B, or C vs D. While this may work for a short while, you're going to run into a few problems.

1) A can't play B, and C can't play D
2) If you have two mage's decks in one spellbook, someone may accidentally (or on purpose whistle ) use a card from the wrong deck.
3) It will be crowded. Especially when you're using full 120pt builds.

Solution 1) Arcane Wonders sells spellbook packs of two. Get yourself one and throw one mage in each spellbook.

Solution 2) Build the 4 mage's decks (but leave them in deck form - not in the spellbook yet). When you want to play, put 1 of the 4 decks in each book. At the end of every game, more than half of the cards that were in the spell book will have left the spellbook, so you could simply take the rest out (which would be faster than putting what's been played back in), and put a new mage (one of the other 4 decks you've built), or the one you just used back in.

GO MAGE WARS!!!!! My Solution: Buy every expansion. Not only do they include more cards and variety, you would also get more spellbooks (The Druid vs Necromancer, and the Forcemaster vs Warlord include 2 extra books)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the great things about Mage Wars builds is that you can have any spell from any mage in your spell-book. The problem is that two different mages might want the same spells, so you would have to build the spell-books separately. I started building loads of spell books "to be ready" with lots of extra spell books, but I found some of my favourite spells weren't available for my fifth mage, even with 2 starter sets, 1 core tome 1 and all the expansions!

So, yes, you can build everything in a small space, but as Colin said, why would you want to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The full beginner spell books (and indeed every speelbook I have built to date) easily fit into half a folder, so yes you can easily get two to a folder, and I often do with 2 copies of the same mage. There are blank pages between, and we never get confused, etc. I own 10 spell books, and we still routinely double-fill them still (even whilst others are sometimes empty).

It does mean that you can only play a book 'a' mage against a book 'b' mage , which limits you to 4 matchups rather than 12, but that's no problem to start with (you can always switch up the combinations after a few games).

More spellbooks is ideal, but you can go with just 2 to start with no problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ames
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'll go the route of more spellbooks eventually. To start, I've built out the Beastmaster and the Warlock in order to teach people the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris May
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Feeling lucky punk? Well, do ya?
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a problem for me when I first bought the game so I used a couple of $4 baseball card books I had laying around.

Then I bought a second copy of the game, two copies of the force master v warlord and two of the druid v necromancer, and 1 conquest of kumanjaro and so I have 12 spell books for 10 mages (if I build one of each available mage) and that is all I really need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
Anrkist Pengwin wrote:
I think I'll go the route of more spellbooks eventually. To start, I've built out the Beastmaster and the Warlock in order to teach people the game.

They are the two I would choose to teach the game, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephanie Baynes wrote:
Anrkist Pengwin wrote:

They are the two I would choose to teach the game, too.

Agreed - they are also the two that Arcane Wonders recommends, because they are more aggressive, and new players tend to turtle too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.