Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone. I've been playing Weyland from the beginning, and I haven't delved much into HB. I was hoping someone could either explain the different HB archetypes (in as much detail as possible), or link me to some great resources (articles, blogs, etc.) that talk about the strategy and mindset behind building and playing an HB deck.

I would prefer not to be shown stand-alone decklists, unless they're accompanied by some form of explanation of the strategy behind them.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravlin Bay
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:
Hello everyone. I've been playing Weyland from the beginning, and I haven't delved much into HB. I was hoping someone could either explain the different HB archetypes (in as much detail as possible), or link me to some great resources (articles, blogs, etc.) that talk about the strategy and mindset behind building and playing an HB deck.

I would prefer not to be shown stand-alone decklists, unless they're accompanied by some form of explanation of the strategy behind them.

Thanks in advance.

My favorite HB type is RedCoats (made popular by Nords) and can be found here:http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1141751/deck-the-red-coats

Long story short: big stopping ice makes your servers too expensive to run often, make them run fruitlessly and then use the window that just opened to score a big fat 5/3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Ruman
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Seconded for RedCoats (several variants now). The obvious ones beyond that:

FA: The every popular Fast Advance archetype based on using biotic labours to score 2/3 agendas from your hand then archived memories / reclamation to get them back.

CI Combo: Cerebral Imaging ID with hedge fund, restructure, archived memories, reclaimation, blue level clearance, green level clearance to fuel some type of single-turn win combo with jackson/power-shutdown/accelerated diagnostics. I've seen the 7-pts in 1 turn version and the scorched earth (2 or 3 scorched earths in a turn). Another easy one to Google, 1 of the first threads that should come up is BGG post that breaks down all the various combos possible.

Purple Jenteki: Satellite Uplink blog posted this one. Basically focuses on brain damage to kill the runner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Neufeld
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
From what I've personally experienced, here's a run down of the popular/common HB archetypes:

1 - HB Fast Advance. Usually the EtF identity, this deck plays 3/2 agendas that it scores out of hand with Biotic Labor. Fast Advance needs deep pockets though, so a lot of the ICE is low-cost ETR or Taxing Ice to cover centrals. Often uses Adonis / Eve for additional income.

2 - HB Blowout. Cerebral Imaging identity, this deck plays to pull every combo piece into hand and go out in one big turn using multiple Biotic Labors, Efficiency Committee, and Shipment From SanSan. Low-cost ETR Ice, Blue Level Clearance, Green Level Clearance, tons of operations.

3 - Accelerated Diagnostics FTW. Usually EtF identity. Uses Power Shutdown + Jackson Howard + Accelerated Diagnostics to deliver a game ending Scorch or super-fast score out of the final agenda. Will need a scoring server for the first couple agendas though, so will probably use a Rush Ice package with a couple stronger pieces.

4 - HB Glacial. Almost always HB:EtF. Made popular again by Nord's RedCoats deck, use big, resilient Ice to build strong centrals and a strong scoring server. Tax like crazy with Adonis/Eve for the double bind of "pay to trash these, or let the corp gain even more money".

5 - HB Rush. Next Design identity. With a spam of early Ice out, start a scoring server behind a ridiculously cheap ETR combo (Paper Wall + Quandry). 20+ Ice to maximize the chance of 3 Ice in your opening hand, this deck has room for both little starter Ice and bigger end-game Ice. Score Gila Hands early and your economy is pretty set.

6 - HB Brain Damage. Magic Dave has an article up on what he dubs the "Purple Jinteki" HB brain damage deck - http://thesatelliteuplink.blogspot.ca/2014/03/brainbuster-pu...

7 - ??? Maybe you can create some new deck types. What about a deck that maximizes click disparity by combining Director Haas, Strongbox, and Ruhr Valley in a deck that gives you a ton of clicks and the Runner very few?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.