Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At first, I thought that the recap was a definitive order of how you should proceed with your turns.

But upon playing and having someone roll a Gearing Up action die, it quickly stops making sense. If my Main Step is:

1) Field characters
2) Use action dice

Then I use Gearing up, pull 2 dice, roll 2 characters and they are useless because I'm past the Field characters "phase"?

Maybe I was always under the wrong impression about the timing of things, but if the timing of using action dice is incorrect, it makes me wonder about the timing of using Globals as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Page 6 - "You can do these multiple times and in any order"

That's describing the actions possible during the main step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath K
United States
Sabina
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no field character "phase", so to speak. During your main step, you can purchase, field, play actions, or play globals in any order you wish. You can even purchase, then field, then play an action, then field again, and then purchase again. I'm pretty sure it even states this in the rules somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Everything under the Main Phase is just a list of possible actions, not a list of steps or phases that must be completed in order. Perhaps they shouldn't have been numbered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, they aren't numbered, I put that in myself. And thanks for the clarification.

So then when you play a tournament game, basically every time you do anything you'll need to pause for a "would you like you use a global ability" check?

And realize this is a different question, but are dice in your reserve pool affected by actions / character abilities?

For example, I have Dr Doom "Reed Richards Rival" active (-1A and -1D to all non-villains). I roll a sidekick character - it's immediately KO'd, or not until I field him is he KO'd?

Or, my opponent has 3 sidekicks fielded, I roll a Force Beam action die face (each character takes 1 damage). Can I use that to knock out his sidekicks before I field mine? Or will it kill all sidekicks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Sugiyama
United States
Altamonte Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jerkules wrote:

For example, I have Dr Doom "Reed Richards Rival" active (-1A and -1D to all non-villains). I roll a sidekick character - it's immediately KO'd, or not until I field him is he KO'd?

The sidekick is KO'd upon fielding. He cannot be KO'd in the reserve pool because you have not paid the fielding cost (0) to bring him to the field.

jerkules wrote:

Or, my opponent has 3 sidekicks fielded, I roll a Force Beam action die face (each character takes 1 damage). Can I use that to knock out his sidekicks before I field mine? Or will it kill all sidekicks?

Yes, thats exactly how you're supposed to use force beam. KO's the weenies on the opponent's side of the field and then you have a clear board to work with. Your sidekicks will be fine because they don't exist, they haven't been fielded yet and so no ability can affect them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. H. Horatio
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
The Future is a Game
mbmbmbmbmb
jerkules wrote:
At first, I thought that the recap was a definitive order of how you should proceed with your turns.

But upon playing and having someone roll a Gearing Up action die, it quickly stops making sense. If my Main Step is:

1) Field characters
2) Use action dice

Then I use Gearing up, pull 2 dice, roll 2 characters and they are useless because I'm past the Field characters "phase"?

Maybe I was always under the wrong impression about the timing of things, but if the timing of using action dice is incorrect, it makes me wonder about the timing of using Globals as well.

Yes you can field characters that you roll using "gearing up". You can also use a "gearing up" that you roll using "gearing up" if you happen to have more than one of those action dice. The only thing that you can't do with the dice you get from "gearing up" is reroll them. This of course is because you are in the Main Step and already past the Roll and Reroll phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICE 0ne
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jerkules wrote:
So then when you play a tournament game, basically every time you do anything you'll need to pause for a "would you like you use a global ability" check?

If you look in Timing Conflicts under Tournament Rules it says "In tournament play, the active player takes as many sequential actions as desired (from zero to all possible actions) before pausing and indicating that the inactive player can take an action."

So you can pause if you want, but you don't have to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath K
United States
Sabina
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jerkules wrote:

There is another section of the rule book that states that your opponent can take actions in between your main step actions. Like between when you purchase and field. And again between when you field and purchase another die. I believe this is what is being referenced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.