Michael McCalpin
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was totally willing to use Rule 4.5.2 (optional Initial Torpedo Load Restrictions) because I love that sort of historical chrome. Recently, however, I have been reading Operation Drumbeat: Germany's U-Boat Attacks Along the American Coast in World War II in which I saw a description of the load-in of U-123, a Type IXB boat, for its December 1941 patrol to North America. The description was that "thirteen G7e electric and two G7a steam-driven" eels were loaded. Left unsaid is whether any previous torpedoes were left on board from the previous patrol. Either way, this torpedo load doesn't square with Rule 4.5.2.

Not having access to any primary sources, I don't know if there was something uncommon about this torpedo load, if Rule 4.5.2 applied only to an earlier era, or if 4.5.2 isn't really accurate at all.

Can any others provide enlightenment on these points?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Slaughter
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My best guess it 2 forward tubes (only) were loaded with G7a in case something juicy showed up in transit (as only steam can sit for any time). Then when on station offshore they would swap them out for the electrics for the actual hunts.

Doesn't help with the game though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Smith
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Heya,

The rule is optional, however, research indicated this is what they strove to load in order to make the maintenance easier. Obviously it's not impossible to load electrics in from the start......it just makes the maintenance workload go up, as you have to pull them back in to service them.

Obviously some players may have strong feelings one way or the other about loadout, but at the start of the war, that's how they did it.

I hope that makes sense,

Greg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCalpin
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does make sense, thank you.

After doing some historical reading, I have been switching over to G7e starting in 1941 in a (thus far fruitless) attempt to survive through June 1943. As I have done more reading, it became clear that by "Black May" of 1943, the G7e was far preferred by the U-Boats for its lack of visible wake, so 4.5.2 seems like it makes sense for the beginning of the war, but perhaps less as time goes on. In any case, as you say, it is optional.

As an example of the fruitless nature of my efforts to survive, my last career in a Type IXB ended abruptly in the Bay of Biscay transit box in June 1943 on the way home. So close and yet....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.