Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

Seasons» Forums » Sessions

Subject: The roll of the dice, the turn of the season: My first journey through Seasons rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Suzanna
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll not fib. This isn't a story that begins with a comment about having wanted to play something forever. I had seen references to Seasons, and it looked cool, but it hadn't really made my List. Then there we were at Games Day, and this very earnest guy said that he was thinking of buying it, and asked if we would play if he did. So there we were. Sometimes you can plan for the weather, and sometimes you can't, so I guess this is fitting.

My husband and I hadn't played, and the guy who bought the game, we'll call him GameMichael, hadn't played, and the owner of the shop, ShopMichael, had played a couple of times one weekend a long time ago, so we were mostly starting from scratch. Still, it wasn't so very hard, and we did decide to use the Apprentice rules for the cards, which simplified things. And then we were off! I started with what I thought was an early advantage, because I was able to play two of my power cards early. The Staff of Spring allowed me to get 3 crystals every time I summoned a power card, and I played that first, so I was already earning Crystals when I summoned my second one. I was pleased with myself. I tried to get my summoning level higher in that first year, and I just couldn't, and that remained a source of frustration into the second year, dictating some of the decisions I made, because I couldn't summon any additional cards I might be able to pick up. I did manage to summon all 3 of my initial hand during the first year, though.

In year 2, ShopMichael summoned a power card that would give him a 20-crystal bonus if he finished with the highest number of power cards. Then the race was on between the Michaels. (I believe ShopMichael did manage the maximum 15 by game's end.) My husband was creeping up on the crystal track, too, and leaving me in the dust, as it were. I was just happy to be able to summon what I could. I got a Divine Chalice, which reminds me for all the world of a Quidditch snitch, even though it's a chalice, and not a ball, which allowed me to draw four cards and play one for free. I drew the Runic Cube of Eolis, which is worth 30 points at the end of the game, and would normally cost 20 crystals to summon.

In the final year, I was trailing well behind in crystals, with my husband a fair bit ahead, and the Michaels leagues ahead. I didn't mind so much, because I was enjoying the game. I also realized that I was not going to make my score in crystals, but in card points. The Michaels had more cards, but some of them were fairly low-scoring. I had some fairly high cards, and no one had really noticed that. So my strategy developed to involve getting summoning power, getting cards, and summoning cards. I picked up some crystals here and there, but that was pretty much my deal. At one point, GameMichael played a card I think he may have regretted, which forced each of us to take a magical item back into our hands. Well, I took back the Divine Chalice, played it again, and got a second Runic Cube of Eolis for free. So I enjoyed that.

In the end, I did have the highest card score - 130 - by quite a bit, even though I only had ten cards. Alas, I only had 43 crystals, and the card score just wasn't enough to make up for that. So I lost, spectacularly, to ShopMichael. GameMichael came in a surprised second, and my husband, who hadn't managed to get out enough cards, came in third. It was a good game. I enjoyed it, and I would play it again without hesitation. I like the mechanics, and I think the artwork is just lovely. Hurrah for unexpected changes of season!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Hodge
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Well, it's no Ginkgopolis...
mbmbmbmbmb
NICE!

You scored with the Devine Chalice way to go! Haha that is what I strive to do every game! I use all cards and expansions so my chances of that are less. I hope you enjoyed it enough to keep playing.

I would recommend saving the Boot until the final turn and maybe you can push it to the end before everyone is ready for it.

Happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.