Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joanna G
United States
Laguna Niguel
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My game group is having a game night of Mansions and will be running 3-4 different games. Most of the investigators will be new to the game, but all Keepers are experienced players. I've played every scenario in the base game and most of the mini-expansions, but only have played 2 of Call of the Wild and 1 Forbidden Alchemy scenarios.

In your opinion, what are the fastest scenarios, ones that can be completed in 3 hours or less (not counting setup)? We're starting the games around 7pm at a Cafe that closes around 11pm-ish, so I want to make sure we pick ones that we can actually finish and that are the most fun, so we can hook in newer players.

One of the Keepers is planning an intro game for new players (which may include less experienced gamers), so I think House of Lynch will probably be best for her game. But I thought I'd prefer something out of Call of Wild for the one I run. I also haven't tried Laboratory yet - how is the length on that one? My game will probably be more experienced gamers, but some may be new to the game, but will probably have at least 1 experienced Mansions player as an investigator. 2 of the 4 keepers have every expansion and the other 2 keepers only have the base game as far as I know.

Anyway, I'd love to hear your opinions on this!
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
In 3 hours or less, not counting setup? Unless your players have heavy analysis paralysis, that should be enough for all but the longest scenarios. Avoid the Green-Eyed Boy and Lost in Time and Space. I don't know how long the Laboratory is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joanna G
United States
Laguna Niguel
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. We are kind-of a chatty bunch and our games always seem to go long... sooo what are the shortest of the scenarios, in your opinion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Still think Lynch is the best introductory, but I think The Mind's Veil and the Laboratory are going to fit your bill: Quick and fairly noob friendly. Just bear in mind that those two are not typical scenarios, so might not be the best primer, although not too complex.

I played a ton of both those, but I don't think I ever watched a clock. Both are probably the fastest of all official scenarios, though, and good for quick repeated play, if time allows.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joanna G
United States
Laguna Niguel
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome - thanks! Mind's Veil is Forbidden Alchemy, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. Call of the Wild.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joanna G
United States
Laguna Niguel
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ah gotcha, thanks! =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
177ark
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I've only played through the Base Set and Forbidden Alchemy.
Yellow Matter in F.A. was the quickest game I've experienced and if I remember correctly that was with the Investigators winning.

To speed up game play I recommend printing up a few of these...

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/65198/universal-head-mansi...

They're a lot of help for newbies and are much easier to reference than the rulebooks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joanna G
United States
Laguna Niguel
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks! We actually use a player aid that one of the Keepers in our group made. it's pretty handy. Here's a link if you are curious.

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/95629/mansions-of-madness-...

I'll take a look at Yellow Matter, thanks for the suggestion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joanna G
United States
Laguna Niguel
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We ended up doing 3 games, using House of Lynch, Yellow Matter, and Mind's Veil. Thanks for your suggestions - each game finished before or right around closing time for the Cafe, so they were perfect fits!

The keepers won all three games. I ran Mind's Veil and I think the investigators got a little side tracked when I brought out a Dark Young. They were focused on taking it down even though every clue and interaction with the dark stranger was directing them to explore the board. Oh well. The game started off well, but the tension kind-of petered out when they realized they were doomed. To me winning in that way is very unsatisfying, I prefer close/tense games. My favorite games have been ones where I actually lost, but that had come down to the wire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool that you got in 3. Bummer that mind's veil fell a little flat, that is one of my favs. Happens with this game though. That scenario is very much a race the clock.

Thanks for reporting back!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.