Strat-O-Matic Baseball» Forums » Sessions

Subject: It All Came Down The Ninth Inning rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Deroit 7 vs. Cleveland 9

Smyly vs. Salazar.

Danny Salazar struggled early, walking Kinsler and hitting Austin Jackson to begin the game. After sriking out Cabrera and Martinez, he gave up a ringing two-run double to Torrie Hunter into right center field.

In he second Romine and Worth singled to put runners on the corners with one out before Kinsler deliverd a sacrifice fly for a quick 3-0 Detroit lead.

Salazar then settle down and retired the next fourteen batters in a row, his day ending upon his walking Avila with one out in the seventh.

Smyly, meanwhile, retired the first ten hitters he faced, giving up a one-out single to Carlos Santana in the fourth. With two outs, he walked Swisher but struck out former Tiger Ryan Raburn to end the threat.

The Indians then began their comeback in the fifth. With two outs, George Kottares, recalled for the game with Jan Gomes on paternity leave, drew a walk and was tripled home by rookie Jose Ramirez, recalled when Jason Kipnis was placed on the disable list.

Cleveland then tied the game in the sixth on a two-out single to Swisher and a two-run home run by Raburn, burning his former team with a deep drive to left field.

In the seventh, C-C Wang replaced Salazar, walked Worth and hit Kinsler to load the bases with one out. Scott Atchison came in to put out the fire. With the infield in, Jackson grounded to Aviles at short, who came to the plate for the force on Avila. The ever-dangerous Cabrera then hit a harmless pop, which was taken by Aviles in short left field to end the inning.

Smyly struck out the first two Indians in the seventh but was replaced by Phil Coke when Ramirez hit a sharp single to right field. Coke retired Brantley on a routine fly ball to left to bring on the eighth.

Josh Outman retired all three batters he faced, and Evan Reed entered the game for the Tigers in the bottom of the eighth. He walked Santana to start things off and his gamble on a sacrifice by Nyjer Morgan backfired when Santana beat the throw. Swisher hit a slow roller to Kinsler, whose only play was to first, the runners moving up ninety feet.

Reed then intentionally walked Raburn and was replaced by Albuerque. Chisenhall lined a shot to center field, scoring Santana; but, Jackson's threw a bulle to Avila to nail a sliding Morgan at the plate, keeping it a one-run game. Aviles then grounded to third to bring on the robust ninth.

Cody Allen came on to close things out but gave up a lead-off single to Romine. Aviles booted a routine, double-play groundball by Aviles and the Tigers were seriously threatening. Castellanos came in to pinch hit for Worth and hit a grounder to Ramirez. Cleveland only got one, as Castellanos beat the throw to first.

The Indians gambled and gave up the tying run. They played the corners in and the middle at double play depth. The strategy backfired when Kinsler hit a slow roller to Ramirez. He charged hard, but his only play was to first (C) and Romine scored. Allen then walked Jackson (Allen fatigued), with Francona bringing to John Axford to face an 0-4 Cabrera.

Miggy came through, as he launched a deep drive to the opposite field for a three-run home run and a 7-4 Detroit lead. A harmless single by Martinez was followed by a fly out by Hunter.

Brad Ausmus has expressed trust in Joba Chamberlain as a late-inning option and brought him in here. Kottaras laid down the perfect swinging bunt. Chamberlain came down off the mound, but there was no chance to get the slow-footed Kottaras. Asdrubal Cabrera pinch hit and was robbed on a fine running catch by Rajai Davis in left field.

An 0-4 Michael Brantly followed with a single, sending Kottaras to third and Ausmus went with Joe Nathan. Nathan issued free passes to Santana and Morgan back-to-back to cut the lead to 7-5. Swisher followed with a clean single to left, scoring Brantley, Santana stopping at third with the tying run.

Ryan Raburn stepped to plate and blasted a Joe Nathan fastball deep into the left field stands for a walk-off grandslam home run. Ryan torched his former team with two home runs, two runs scored and six RBI.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan James
United States
Covington
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Way to go Tribe!

Did you assemble the 2014 rosters from the 2013 Strat cards? Is this part of a project or just a one-off?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
For the most part. I'm using current rosters and playing the 2012 schedule, having started at the beginning of 2012. I'll use a previous year's card if I don't have one for 2013, and use the 2013 combined card if a player has multiple cards.

I use the no-name set for players I don't have, checking this season's stats at the beginning of each month, keeping a hand written list of which no-name card is the most logical.

For batters, it's just BA; for pitchers, I try to match ERA, Whip and so/bb rates as best I can.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shockey
United States
Arbutus
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where do you get the no-name cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From Strat. I think they're $1.50 for the set. I've got two sets now, but the postage is kind of high, so it might be best to load up. I just have them in a stack to the side and use one as needed.

But you can get multiple sets and have each player with his own card. The one thing I haven't figured out is the speed differential for each player.

It could probably be figured out by looking at Baseball Reference stats and extrapolating from actual player cards, but I haven't done that.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.