Subject: Video has been posted rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Dillon
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bowers video has been posted. View it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAoQMtmTNtQ&index=2&list=FLR...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
I am a breathing time machine
badge
We're all in this together, and we love to take a bath!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the heads-up. Watching it now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
I am a breathing time machine
badge
We're all in this together, and we love to take a bath!
mbmbmbmbmb
For the click-averse:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hillier
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow this is obnoxious!

Also, can't wait for kickstarter!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Cooper
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Bower currently rates Dogfight Recon Strategy an impressive 8.5 with 16 plays under his belt.

Then again he's also got several other of his recently reviewed games ranked even higher. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite all the clowning, I'm interested in playing this. I think that the board and components could definitely use a facelift and the rulebook(s) need a graphically revamp. Not sure I would play a tournament, but I could see the appeal since each player starts with equal forces and setup.

But the downside is that this is a 30 year old game and modern hobby gaming has moved light years past this. (Yes, there are some good games that are older, but that is a minority.)

The Kickstarter should be interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hillier
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How does it take 43 pages to convey the rules for this incredibly simple game?

It looks better than I expected, but I'll take X-Wing any day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd reckon that he basically included a FAQ/Errata in the book for every possible scenario his gaming group came up with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
This really does look like a decent game. The mechanics seem solid, the new features added above Dogfight are reasonable and look like they don't break the game.

However, this game is a long way from ready for Kickstarter.

First of all, the rules need some serious copy editing. The repeated complaint from the designer was that Dogfight's rules fit on a box top, but Recon Strategy has 47 pages of rules. Conciseness is a virtue in rules. The booklet that Bower held up was nicer, but it is still too long. This is clearly simple rule set. Simple rules do not mean simple strategy; see Go.

Rules about having your opponent hand you your cards to prevent cheating is an unnecessary complication. I don't want to play with cheaters and I don't want to have to deal with rules that attempt to prevent it. If they are going to cheat with their cards, they can just as easily cheat with my cards. I'm afraid the the designer has vastly overestimated the potential tournament scene.

The theme could use a bit of work. At the moment, this is an abstract with a hint of theme. The theme could be expanded without changing the game a bit and it would be a more complete experience. What kind of planes are these? What era is this taking place in? Why are they fighting? How on earth do bombs hit a plane in flight?

The art really needs an overhaul. It would play up the theme and not hurt the game one bit. Art sells games on KS. There are some costs the designer will have to incur before attempting raising funds. This will be expensive.

The graphic design (separate from the art) is also important. You can get awesome art and drop it on a board and the cards, but if it is an unreadable mess, it looks amateurish. Right now, there isn't any art to speak of, but even still, the cards have a really dated design. They are functional, but they are not elegant.

The planes models need to be awesome. Those Recons are pathetic - the game is NAMED AFTER THEM! Getting molds made is expensive, but plastic looks better in an aerial combat game than plane meeples. It would be easy to grab a couple off-the-shelf plane models to use in the mockup.

Unfortunately, I don't think the designer understands just how far he has to go to make a viable game. None of the issues he is going to encounter are game play related. Without major chrome, this game isn't going to get off the ground.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Krotter

Fresno
California
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
darthnice wrote:
This really does look like a decent game. The mechanics seem solid, the new features added above Dogfight are reasonable and look like they don't break the game.

However, this game is a long way from ready for Kickstarter.

First of all, the rules need some serious copy editing. The repeated complaint from the designer was that Dogfight's rules fit on a box top, but Recon Strategy has 47 pages of rules. Conciseness is a virtue in rules. The booklet that Bower held up was nicer, but it is still too long. This is clearly simple rule set. Simple rules do not mean simple strategy; see Go.

Rules about having your opponent hand you your cards to prevent cheating is an unnecessary complication. I don't want to play with cheaters and I don't want to have to deal with rules that attempt to prevent it. If they are going to cheat with their cards, they can just as easily cheat with my cards. I'm afraid the the designer has vastly overestimated the potential tournament scene.

The theme could use a bit of work. At the moment, this is an abstract with a hint of theme. The theme could be expanded without changing the game a bit and it would be a more complete experience. What kind of planes are these? What era is this taking place in? Why are they fighting? How on earth do bombs hit a plane in flight?

The art really needs an overhaul. It would play up the theme and not hurt the game one bit. Art sells games on KS. There are some costs the designer will have to incur before attempting raising funds. This will be expensive.

The graphic design (separate from the art) is also important. You can get awesome art and drop it on a board and the cards, but if it is an unreadable mess, it looks amateurish. Right now, there isn't any art to speak of, but even still, the cards have a really dated design. They are functional, but they are not elegant.

The planes models need to be awesome. Those Recons are pathetic - the game is NAMED AFTER THEM! Getting molds made is expensive, but plastic looks better in an aerial combat game than plane meeples. It would be easy to grab a couple off-the-shelf plane models to use in the mockup.

Unfortunately, I don't think the designer understands just how far he has to go to make a viable game. None of the issues he is going to encounter are game play related. Without major chrome, this game isn't going to get off the ground.

Major chrome coming. We will address all issues. We have made great strides.
The recons are going to be up graded. We are going to correct certain terminologies (bomb tokens to "air defense tokens"). We do listen and are improving. Our rules have improved over nite thanks to Jeff Smith.
The blue sky board is getting good reviews. Progress is being made at every turn. The PnP and PBEM are going to speed up our development. All of this done in barely two weeks ! What's comin in two months?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.