A Game of Thrones: The Card Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: A question from a beginner rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Igor Đekić
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
So a friend and I have decided to try the game out online, and we're kinda intimidated by the card pool. We've decided to limit ourselves to core, the first 2 cycles and the expansions for our houses (Targaryen and Lannister).

I've mostly been playing Netrunner recently, and whenever I teach it to other people, I first let them know about the few cards they have to be aware of - Scorched Earth, Snare, etc. - the cards that can single handedly win you the game if you don't play around them. Stuff like Counterspell in MtG.

Now what I'd like to know is, what would you say are the game-defining cards in our limited pool? Especially stuff for our two factions.

Thanks a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Grutz
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say the BIG card in this game is Valar Morgulis, the game's board wipe. Almost every plot deck should have a copy of it and you need to know how your deck will handle your opponent's Valar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
Partizan242 wrote:
I would say the BIG card in this game is Valar Morgulis, the game's board wipe. Almost every plot deck should have a copy of it and you need to know how your deck will handle your opponent's Valar.

This. Every house has access to good cards, but apart from Valar Morghulis none are as defining as Scorched Earth. A very powerful effect combined with being available when needed most by being a plot makes it the card to plan for.

Have fun, it's a wonderful game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Field
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lannister has a lot of control effects in that card pool. Castellan of the Rock, Enemy Informer, Myrcella, Brothel Guard, Cersei (LotR), Terminal Schemes and Darkened Hallways all (off the top of my head) combine well with Power Behind the Throne.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Đekić
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
Thanks for the answers, guys. We've played a few games and tings are starting to fall into place. I love Valar, a complete board wipe that's always at your disposal is every control player's wet dream.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.