Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
What is your favorite or most powerful card across any game? It can be for any reason, the flavor text, the artwork, the game changing effect that forces all other players to think differently.

I won't limit it to just cards, but mostly components from a set- like that one tile or that one token.

A couple of mine:

In Darkest Night: On Shifting Winds, the Wayfarer's ability Wanderlust which incentivizes constantly changing locations and travelling.

In Dungeon Fighter, the Sword of Friendship that makes you hold hands with another player.

The eponymous This Could Be Our Last Night on Earth card from, you guessed it Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game, for creating that feeling like when you're watching a movie and someone in it says the title of the movie. wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The superlative cards
Black Lotus for Magic: The Gathering. One of the alpha cards that broke the game balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Bartoo
msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: The superlative cards
"Goblin Artisans" from Magic (Antiquities, I think), because the artwork made me laugh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always liked Wheel of Fortune from Magic. It totally mixes up the game for sure, but it's like Christmas day getting to see what seven new cards you'll get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Temporal Boots from Seasons; the loss of the last turn can be game changing if someone is unprepared. At the same time it is my most hated card. Why did I ever think it was a good idea to bank on playing 158 points worth of cards on the last turn...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Gotta love the Province cards in Dominion, the Wire cards in Up Front!, Cosmic Zap in Cosmic Encounter, and the Cocoa Beans in Bohnanza, but for no reason I can explain I'm going to go with The Last Laugh from Munchkin. It's munchkinly, it changes the game, it very likely changes how you oppose the person who has it, and since it's a promotional card you can't even buy it. Then again, Cosmic Zap has the potential to cause the greatest consternation - it has robbed many a player of victory, and handed victory to just as many others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

It's got beautiful artwork, by an artist from the early days of the game whose absence many of us had missed. The title is elegant and evocative. The card itself is powerful, but dangerous—it offers a seductive dark bargain, trading your life for an army, enabling exactly the sort of resource-swapping tradeoffs I like to make in games. And, it's at the heart of one my favorite decks of all time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From pre-publication MtG:

You never lose when you play this card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Steward
United States
Kent
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

No explanation necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Traumatize. Makes people very angry. angry

http://magiccards.info/query?q=!TRAUMATIZE
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Many years ago (seriously; just looked up in my gmail, and I found a reference to this anecdote in a livejournal comment from 2005... so probably around a decade ago), some columnist on the Magic website asked people to email them their favorite card. And he ridiculed my choice...

Takklemaggot. This was the centerpiece of the first 'johnny' deck I ever built, back in the days of Chronicles and Homelands. All of the creatures in the deck had pro black, like Cemetery Gate.

Basically, Takklemaggot slowly kills whatever creature it's on, and then when that creature dies the creature's controller chooses a new target for Takklemaggot. But none of my creatures could be targeted by it, so they'd have to choose one of their own creatures... And if there are no targets available for the Takklemaggot, it starts damaging you instead!

Here's my favorite card from a different game:

This is from Junta.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy the alarm o bot card in Hearthstone. You play it for 3 cost early on in a round to get a chance on auto deploying a random higher cost card, that is, if it lives until you get to take your turn again. So you only want to deploy it in pairs or when there are enough shields up.

This card plus heavy hitting cards plus faceless manipulator is fun. Also you play it with the Druid and he has boost cards on top of that.

Alarm-o-bot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ham
United States
The Colony
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
HONK HONK
mbmbmbmbmb
First thing that comes to mind is Wallivore from Wiz-War. Actual game: First turn I cast create wall to dead-end one of my treasure spots so it's harder to steal, and the next player moves next to me and does the same thing to trap me in. My next turn, "OK, I just eat my way out". Useful effect and amusing art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Octopus
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
"...that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the the field of battle - victorious."
mbmbmbmbmb

My favourite card of poetry and wit
Gave me joy and much rejoicing
But my mates just thought me a twit
Not eloquent but just annoying
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
In Ticket to Ride, when I draw tickets well into a game, the one that I have already completed before drawing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Berdichevsky
Argentina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
THE CHINA CARD from Twilight Struggle

You can play a whole game around it...

It makes you powerful, but at the same time it is a high risk to play it

and... IT'S CALLED "THE CHINA CARD"!!

(pun intended?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cards that let you cheat until caught. like in cosmic encounter and dragon's gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Steal Your Neighbor's Pot" from Grass, for no reason other than the improvised singing of the card name that erupted whenever someone in my old gaming group would lay one down. Instant Rastafarian drum circle action, every time.

magicoctopus wrote:
The Minstrel

Vampire: the Eternal Struggle had a card called "Madness of the Bard" that forced all players to speak in rhyme or lose pool (health/resources).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I forgot Orbital Mind Control Lasers from Illuminati. Change a card's attributes while it's in play, your opponent's card, from space.Make Clinton Conservative, nationalize the Oil Companies, make the Goldfish Fanciers violent. It never gets old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Satterfield
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The extra worker bonus card in Russian Railroads. I'm almost unstoppable with that thing. (almost)

And then, of course, this one:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Lady Steam from Planet Steam, of course. There is even a full page description of her outfit in the back of the rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Moyer
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it by not dying. -Woody Allen
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Head Dave wrote:
The extra worker bonus card in Russian Railroads. I'm almost unstoppable with that thing. (almost)

And then, of course, this one:

Yeah, the Piss Boy is the first thing I thought of too. And he is a Noble!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Kitching
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Balrog card from War of the Ring (First Edition).

I have read complaints that the Balrog is only an event card, but what a card!

Firstly there is the silence that descends when Sauron draws the card, followed by the incantations to reveal the true meaning: "where are my glasses?" "do you have a magnifying glass?" "something stronger?"

Then the silence resumes as the card is read and understood, followed by the attempted misdirection "just some wolves" - yeah, right!

There are games that play in less time than it takes to read this card and probably some with fewer and simpler rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Hodge
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Well, it's no Ginkgopolis...
mbmbmbmbmb
littlechandler wrote:
Temporal Boots from Seasons; the loss of the last turn can be game changing if someone is unprepared. At the same time it is my most hated card. Why did I ever think it was a good idea to bank on playing 158 points worth of cards on the last turn...

Haha I was going to say Amsung and the Boot combo in Seasons are my FAVORITE CARDS!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig the fallen
United States
flag msg tools
Keen to the scent -- the hunt is my muse. A means to an end, this path that I choose
badge
Lost and aloof are the loves of my past -- Wake the White Wolf! Remembrance At Last (by Miracle of Sound)
mbmbmbmbmb
I have other favorites for thematic reasons, but one of my favorites for gameplay were the 6 cost developments in Race for the Galaxy that gave a small power, and points for all cards with that power, including themselves. The fact that they specifically included themselves was great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.