Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally after all these years I understand what a P-500 is. My question is, why would this not work for Games like Carson City that so may people want reprinted? Make it a P-1000 or something

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven De Puysseleir
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
trust me, I'm a dentist
badge
we don't lie, we use statistics
mbmbmbmbmb
Because the 500 in p-500 does not refer to the amount of games but the amount of votes one game needs to be eligible for printing. (I guess)

Or maybe they also just print 500 per run?

It could probably work for any other game company I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 500 is the amount of orders they get. Once they know they can do 500, they become willing to do a print run and will print additional copies for stores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lievendp wrote:
Because the 500 in p-500 does not refer to the amount of games but the amount of votes one game needs to be eligible for printing. (I guess)

Or maybe they also just print 500 per run?

It could probably work for any other game company I guess.

P-500 just means they won't start the production process of a game until it has near 500 preorders or more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 500 is the number of pre sold games the publisher needs to fund the print run. Of course printing costs have risen since the inception of P-500 (created by GMT Games) so in reality they need more like 700 preorders to fully fund the print run but still consider 500 to be "close enough" to get it into queue.

The print run, however, is more than the number. A GMT print run seems to depend on the game but also seems to be at least 3-4000 copies. Some games (like the COIN games and Twilight Struggle) no doubt get higher run numbers as they are faster sellers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I can't figure out is why some flagship games that continually sell out like say combat commander requires a P500. You'd think after the 4th or 5th printing it might just be worth it to keep it continually in stock. Mind you maybe it's the whole cash on hand thing??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
orabbi wrote:
What I can't figure out is why some flagship games that continually sell out like say combat commander requires a P500. You'd think after the 4th or 5th printing it might just be worth it to keep it continually in stock. Mind you maybe it's the whole cash on hand thing??

Seems to be a cash on hand issue. That's why GMT is doing a 50% off sale right now; to fund larger reprints on some out of print games.

Also, just because a game is on the fourth or fifth print run doesn't mean it will continue to be in demand. We aren't talking about a family game like Ticket to Ride or Settlers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Who longs for oolong
badge
You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
orabbi wrote:

GMT does print their big sellers before they reach 500. Just recently, Combat Commander: Europe, CC:M and the first two battle packs were reprinted with ~150 preorders if I remember correctly. They do this with Twilight Struggle, Dominant Species, and maybe a few others.

They also stated that they plan on reprinting most of their major CDGs this year. I'm not sure if that is p500 dependent or not.

I suspect in these cases they still run the "P500" to give people a chance to preorder the new print run to augment some of the production costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also P500 games are given a discount so it encourages people to place a preorder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Also P500 games are given a discount so it encourages people to place a preorder.

Ah yes that is true. Good for us, but better for them if the game was more readily available at it's original price. Granted then most likely people would then purchase it from an online retailer for a discount. Which probably leads this to be a moot point, lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.