Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Labelle
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Section 6. Coastal Ocean Moves Line A. Explains that the war ships may move from harbor to harbor (red marks) with EACH leg being ONE SPOT on the die.
An example follows of a war ship moving from New York to Boston with its ONE spot. (I guess we can extrapolate that if you have a die roll of two, you could then move to the a second port.)
The rule continues with: "However, the harbor spot must either be open or have a friendly ship on the harbor spot" to do this.

Now, the original rules that come with the game (not the posted PDF file which is a "Variant") says in line D.:
" If an American ship lands on same harbor spot as a British ship, a NAVAL BATTLE takes place."

This seems to me that the American player has the ONLY option to initiate a naval battle IN A HARBOR. (Interceptions of Reinforcements is an entirely different issue)

So, the British player cannot move from Boston or New York to Yorktown or Charleston as long as the American player stays put in the Philadelphia Harbor because the war ships move "each leg" per spot on the die and would have to stop on a harbor not "open" or "friendly".
And because the rule specifically states that only an "American ship" can land on a British ship in a harbor, this is the case until the American ship moves or is lost in a naval battle of his making.

I know that someone will probably disagree with me that only an American ship can instigate a harbor battle, but without this rule (which I call the John Paul Jones rule) the British could easily wipe out the American war ship anytime in the game.
There is some historical reasoning to this that I won't go into, but from a game balance point of view, it makes sense. There would hardly be any chance ever for the Americans to later intercept a British ship.
This Also protects Washington from potentially being knocked out on the very first turn.

Next:

Despite how war ships move, Line B. of this section states that "A unit (or army) may move from coastal city to coastal city along the red lines, ONE SPOT on the dice PROVIDED the the harbor is open or controlled by you with a warship." (It should be noted that in this case the words "one spot" and "provided" are bolded unlike the previous one spot each leg wording.)

Does this mean that the transportation of units is different from how war ships move because there is no mention of "one spot" equals "one leg"?

In other words, I could move a unit (not a ship) from the CITY (not harbor) of Boston to the CITY (not harbor) of Charlestown with just ONE spot on the die. And it would not matter what HARBORS in between are controlled by the enemy.

Two separate mechanisms at work here. Harbor to Harbor Ship Movement (and Combat) and City to City LAND UNIT Sea Transportation.

(Responses on this should be interesting.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
pretty much

EDIT:
Not read the fine details but basically units can move by sea if their side controls the port or the port is uncontrolled. Also only Americans can initiate naval battles in harbors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Labelle
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Moshe!!! thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.