BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: 1 game or 1 expansion (maybe 2?). Help please! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jorge Garza
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My local store here in Mexico jsut got some new games in stock.

I am interested in Power Grid (like $48 USD), the 7 Wonders: Leaders expansion (like $33 USD) and 7 Wonders: Wonders expansion (like $13 USD)
and Pandemic: On the Brink Expansion (like $37 USD).

Problem is that I own 7 Wonders and Pandemic base games, but I haven´t play them. I played lots of Pandemic on the iPad and I love it, but not with the board game. I want to play 7 Wonders so bad but I haven´t play it because my girlfriend is too busy on college, but She will have vacations very soon!

I can´t buy all of them because my girlfiend is going to think I am a very intense psycho, but I want to buy at least one. I know I am going to buy the wonders pack for 7 Wonders because it´s almost the same price that in the US and it´s really cheap. However, not sure about the other ones. One thing to keep in mind is that I have a condition that makes me have poor sight, so I am hesitating about getting Power Grid because I am afraid I won´t be able to see it.

Power Grid, 7 Wonders: Leaders or Pandemic: On The Brink? Maybe not getting 7 Wonders: Wonders pack and get two of the main ones? Thank´s!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally I always prioritize getting a new game rather than getting an expansion. In my book, expansions tend to get unplayed because I play with new players every time.

For your case, why don't you play the base games first, only then you decide?

Also, sorry to break this out to you, but PG and 7 wonders aren't that great with two players. However, PG's two-player experience can be improved with the Power Grid: The Robots expansion. Still I'd strongly suggest to not get PG or any 7 Wonders expansions.

There are better games out there if you're playing with just you and your girlfriend.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Garza
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dtroy_de_rapcore wrote:
Normally I always prioritize getting a new game rather than getting an expansion. In my book, expansions tend to get unplayed because I play with new players every time.

For your case, why don't you play the base games first, only then you decide?

Also, sorry to break this out to you, but PG and 7 wonders aren't that great with two players. However, PG's two-player experience can be improved with the Power Grid: The Robots expansion. Still I'd strongly suggest to not get PG or any 7 Wonders expansions.

There are better games out there if you're playing with just you and your girlfriend.

Hope that helps.

I don´t play only with my girlfriend, but She is definitely my main partner. We play with friends and family, but if She is busy, We tend to not to play since I am the one person who is really into the hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with the above post : games before expansions. Also to consider is how much your other players play games. I love games and Power Grid might be a bit too much time and depth. You know your group better than I do, but you don't want a game that no one will play or try once and no want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A new game experience is almost always better than an expansion of an existing game for me as well. If your girlfriend is your main partner I would suggest finding games that plays best with 2, and can scale up to 4 or 5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B.
Canada
flag msg tools
Look down.
badge
Ooooo! Ahhhhh!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play a lot with your girlfriend, see what she says thinks and go from there. Might as well aim for something that you both enjoy. If not, I say Pandemic, since it is a good co-op game with a theme that even most non-gamers can understand and accept/enjoy as well. Besides, you seem to enjoy Pandemic a lot already, so it might be a win all around.

I would only get Power Grid if you are really into the theme and feel like something different. Otherwise I would just stick to what you have the most fun with already for the time being.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.