BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: easy Zombie theme game for autistic brother rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raf DD
Philippines
flag msg tools
Hi Everyone,

I want to ask if anybody could recommend an easy board game for my autistic brother as he's turning 21 next month and i wanted to give him a game as a birthday present.

Right now he's into zombie themed games like Resident Evil and Walking Dead (Telltale adventure) and i was thinking that maybe getting a zombie theme would get him interested in playing a board game and maybe make him talk more.

Anybody got any advise? thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dead Panic

Is probably the easiest while still tough at the same time.

Given that it is co-op:

Zombicide

Is probably the best "quality" right now and being co-op you don't have to worry too much about difficulty. It can also be played solo, so once you get him understanding everything (the rules really aren't that bad, you only get two actions a turn and then select from a limited selection of actions to fight, move, or search) he can play it by himself. My kids handled it fine when they were 6 and 7 so he (without having any knowledge of his faculties) should be able to too.

I would suggest going the co-op route though. My nephew is a high functioning autistic (aspergers) and after I bought him his first game he wants to do nothing else but play them, and has been teaching all of his friends how to. So definitely a worth while investment (though we went with Dungeon, King of Tokyo and Forbidden Island with him).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Garza
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombie Dice is SUPER easy and cheap. Maybe you can give him Zombie Dice plus another one since I think Zombie Dice is too small for a gift to a brother (nothing wrong with that, it is just my personal opinion).

I know you are asking for boardgames but that might be a let down (hopefully not).

What about a board game plus a videogame? You mention that He enjoys the Walking Dead Telltale´s game, so I think He already played the season 1 game, right? Well, you can gift him the season 2 "season pass" that allows him to download every chapter of the game as soon as they release. So far I think there are 2 or 3 chapters out of 5 avaliable. You have to buy the first chapter plus the season pass for a total of $20 bucks.

If He doesn´t have that game and He played the first one, you CAN´T go wrong, plus it´s cheap and you can gift him a board game so it´s not a completely let down for him. So chances are you give him a fantastic gift (videogame + boardgame) if He likes the boardgame or a great gift if He just likes the videogame.

Best of luck to you and your brother!

ps: The Walking Dead Season 2 videogame (by Telltale´s games) is avaliable for Xbox 360, PS3, PC and IOs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't miss Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game still the best zombie game I have played. Good two player or more and not hard to understand at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Raf,

Your answers to some questions will help with recommending the right game:

When you say Autistic, how Autistic is he?

What sensory difficulties does he have, and what can trigger a meltdown?

Does he also have any learning difficulties, or is he at the high-functioning end of the spectrum?

What are his special interests, and how narrow are they?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Girven
United Kingdom
Basildon
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombie Dice +1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Passick
United States
Charlotte
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably the three lightest readily available zombie games are Zombie Dice, Zombies!!! (zombies!!! 4 is also a full game), or Zombie Fluxx. There are a ton of zombie games though so I could definitely be missing something. Hope you find something good to play with your bro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf DD
Philippines
flag msg tools
Thank you all for your answers. Here are my replies:

@mltdwn
Will look into those games. Still considering Last Night on Earth also.

@Jagg857 @girvatron
Zombie Dice may be too short of a game for him

I'm having him hold off on Season 2 and wait for the complete bundle to be released so he won't have to wait for each release.

@Syvanis
Considering this one or Zombicide

Scorpion0x17

Hi Scott, here's my feedback

Classic autism. i would say a developmental age of a 10-14 yr old

No sensory difficulties. But he does get frustrated when something was already planned far ahead and once he schedules it we can't deviate from it (buying a new toy on said date, staying at home on a certain day).

Does he also have any learning difficulties, or is he at the high-functioning end of the spectrum?

If by high functioning you mean being able to do daily tasks, socialize, and can work for money, then, he is just below high functioning.

He pretty much likes to draw. Copies cartoon characters off the net. I think the reason he likes TWD was because of the "Choose your adventure" type of feel it had, plus the cartoony design

@cosmicsparky
Fluxx may not be for him I'm afraid. I know he prefers something structured.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RiderVX wrote:
Scorpion0x17

Hi Scott, here's my feedback

Classic autism. i would say a developmental age of a 10-14 yr old

No sensory difficulties. But he does get frustrated when something was already planned far ahead and once he schedules it we can't deviate from it (buying a new toy on said date, staying at home on a certain day).

If by high functioning you mean being able to do daily tasks, socialize, and can work for money, then, he is just below high functioning.

He pretty much likes to draw. Copies cartoon characters off the net. I think the reason he likes TWD was because of the "Choose your adventure" type of feel it had, plus the cartoony design

Thanks, that's all helpful information.

I'd definitely recommend either Last Night on Earth or Zombicide, then.

LNoE requires someone to play the Zombies, whereas Zombicide can be played solo.

Zombicide is more cartoony, and you can create your own Survivors for it.

But LNoE is more structured, and a little more "Choose your adventure".

I personally would pick Zombicide over LNoE, but that's based on my personal preference, and LNoE maybe more suited to your brother.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
Both Zombicide and LNoE are great zombie games - the choice boils down to this: Do you want to work together as survivors and let the game handle the zombies, or do you want to be competing against each other? LNoE, if you just play it with him as a 2 player game, will mean one of you will have to be the zombies. Personally I find Zombicide to be more fun - killing zombies with your partner is awesome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Passick
United States
Charlotte
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RiderVX wrote:

@cosmicsparky
Fluxx may not be for him I'm afraid. I know he prefers something structured.

No problem. Just trying to think of the easiest to grasp zombie games. After getting your extra details I agree with the rest of the folks here about going for either Last Night on Earth or Zombicide. They still have some randomization but definitely seem like they would be something more in line with what he likes. Zombicide would definitely appeal to his fascination for art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf DD
Philippines
flag msg tools
Thank you everyone. I'll go get LNoE first since the expansions are already available here. Also, so i could control at least the flow of the zombies he encounters.

As for Zombicide, i'll definitely get it at a later time. Seems in that game i could just let him kill zombies as much as he wants. He'll probably end most of his campaigns taking out as many of them with him in a blaze of glory.

Thanks again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
WOOHOOOO! Good Choice. After a few games post here how it went.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.