Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
94 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men» Forums » Strategy

Subject: In-depth talk through of prominent cards and early emerging decks... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Wyse
msg tools
Good Afternoon All,

There seems to be a lack of posts here from people with large play experiences, so I figured I would share some of the lessons my group has been learning. We've been pretty lucky to have four starters in our group, and communally, we have a couple of complete card sets. Five of us have been playing pretty extensively, and I would say Im probably about a hundred or so games in. Ill start off by posting the cards that have the most impact on our evolving meta, most of which Im sure you guys already know about, and then move onto the major decks (we speak of teams usually as decks).

Quality Singles:

Beast – Mutate #666:
Ive been seeing a lot of talk about him being good but not great, and I wholeheartedly disagree. He is so good, and opens up the team to rapid and stable growth that you must really have a specific reason NOT to include him as a base in every single team. Our group has found that deck thinning through keeping pawns (sidekicks) out on the table is very important for long term strategies, and Beasts cheap cost and twin free deploy facings very much help with this. His ramp is evident, as well on top of this, he is not overly tough, as it is important in any deck aiming for midrange or late win conditions that beast die when he blocks to set up potentially early six die rolls. Counters for him are pretty available, globals that force attacks, and Hawkeye – Longbow ruin his day.

Punisher – McRook:
One of the “2 Damage Crew” of cards including Tsarina, Prof X and Storm, McRook can fit into a lot of decks as a method of control and free damage. Picking a couple damage here and there can absolutely work a deck down slowly, and his attack stats are superb. His 1 deployment facings are wonderful, especially the 5 damage one, as there are thresholds of damage where opponents will have to start blocking and letting you ramp due to his very low defense stats. He is really quite a steal at 4 cost. An ideal McRook turn involves attacking and forcing through 2 damage, while taking another character die with him before ramping your deck up into 5 range. He is very stable as well, since he adds late game utility when the opponent's life total gets too low to pay his assassinate tax. He is countered by the common anti aggro defenses, Beasts and Mr. Fantastics, as well as anti-attack globals.

Storm – Wind-Rider:
She is really incredible, and a testament to how well balanced this game seems to be. When originally looking at her, she seemed to have no drawbacks. Her ability to rid two troublesome dice and send them to used instead of prep is out of this world, pair that with a reasonable cost, good field cost and a low defense stat all seemed a little too good. Her drawback comes in competition, there are a LOT of great choices for decks at the 5 cost, and finally on her unreliability. To illustrate this, take a Gobby matchup. She is amazing against gobby as a way to force damage through and help control his pawns. Unfortunately, Gem Keeper is often rushed against Gobby. These situations, and the occasional time when the dice gods hate you keep her from being actually broken, and instead, just an amazing tool for control and stall decks.

Hawkeye – Longbow:
Hawkeye will make it into a lot of control decks. He gives decks early control, and will provide enough deterrent in the late game to stay relevant. Keep in mind that damage doesnt clear from dice until the end of the current turn, making Longbow good at dealing damage even if it wouldnt be lethal to prevent blockers. Many decks in our meta make the decision between McRook and Hawkeye for the 4 drop control slot. It should also be mentioned that he has a lot of value countering decks using Mutate 666 as early ramp. Potential counters are more the concerns of buying early 4 cost dice over cheaper 2 and 3 costs and thinning by rolling out pawns.

Cyclops – If Looks Could Kill:
Seven drops need to end games, and this is one of the best. The vast majority of the time cyclops is pulled from the bag, everyone holds their breath, as a character facing most likely means game over. His outstanding ability wipes the board of most filler characters in the late game, and deals enough damage to larger characters to make them seriously concerned about blocking. Since he routinely clears the board, he is often a free 4-6 damage himself, and he has a straight 1 deploy cost. His drawback comes from his effectiveness, if you dont win, he creates massive shifts on the game board, as your opponent is now rolling huge amounts of dice. Countering him is more about developing skills to trade well in the issuing attacks to set yourself up for victory without dying. Our meta tried running Nova – Buckethead as a hard counter for a while, but as our meta currently stands, ILCK is in the vast majority of decks as a finisher.

Loki – Gem Keeper:
In my humble opinion, if there is another die that causes more groans out of opponents when pulled from a bag, I havent seen it. Gem Keeper can absolutely wreck certain decks, and is one of the few dice in the game that you are happy to see such a huge defense on. I put a gem keeper in every deck I build, as it is one of the few ways to stop a Canucklehead, or buy some time against a Gobby Firestorm. I have yet to come across a situation where I was like, well, Gem Keeper was a terrible buy, even if it is just stopping late game Deadpools, McRooks or ILCKs. His five cost is perfect costing as well, to tip my hat to wizkids, at 4 cost he would be AUTO AUTOINCLUDE, and at six too late to be effective.

Black Widow – Tsarina:
Tsarina is the most aggressive card in the game currently. She vastly loses value in the late game, but often with 4 of her dice in a bag, she will end games extremely quickly. Drawing a 2 widow turn 3 or 4 can immediately put people into very bad situations, and can lend a head-start to the 2 damage decks. For control decks, who often try maybe a tad too early to grab for Longbows or McRooks, she can swing for 4-5 damage routinely. Countering her is more a matter of longevity, as she becomes closer to a dead draw late game than a super rare, and fist energy is useful late game to only a few specific decks.

Nick Fury – Patch:
Im still not sold on the Avengers team, but Patch + Longbow equals some very scary early games. I personally think that an early game of Patch, Longbow and Tsarina can be a solid aggro concept, especially if running Mr.Fantasics and pulling other Fantastics and Beasts into attacks to open up the field. Avengers gain quite a bit of value with him on the table, Tsarina is no longer someone to let through, Hawkeye is a win condition, and the over-costed late game avengers, gain enough value to be one-offs. He is too fragile to be serious in every matchup, Longbow hard counters him, and taking Fantastic is a double edged sword with him. Since most people take some way to force attacks, or at least remove (like Deadpool Jack), its usually worth it as Avenger Rushes will either win or lose before a lot of decks will want to participate in fielding fives instead of defending against Longbows powered by Patch.

Green Goblin – Gobby:
Not many archetypes in this early meta cause you to play your deck so differently than Green Goblin – Gobby. Gobby is a nightmare to deal with, he has assured early damage potential, and can hit a sweet spot of 5/5 in the early game to be a real problem. Giving away life to a Gobby deck is a real gamble, which is honestly the best thing about him. Putting a gobby into your deck completely alters the way your opponent will play against you, which is a small victory in itself. Most people in our meta run Force Beam just to buy one early to try and extend games to stabilizing lengths against Gobby, even though buying actions early is usually a bad idea. The best counter to gobby is to play a couple 666s early to try and rush for a Gem Keeper.

Human Torch – Flame On!: (EDIT - Im an idiot, this should be Johnny Storm, I got the two confused, please replace instances of Flame On! with the clearly superior Johnny Storm.)
Flame on can be another one of those pick away at people cards, and is part of the Torch/Nova combo to ramp up to really high levels. I personally dont like the combo too much as it requires a 4 cost and 5 cost out, then on top of that playing a couple of character dice. He is good enough at controlling other dice that he should be included on this list.

Professor X – Charles Patrick Xavier:
A tripple threat, CPX works as incidental aggro, a great blocker, and a control mechanisms. His cost is quite high, but he is on this list as a final cog in most control decks. When he comes out, the game should be late game with life totals quite low, and will often put players into no win situations. Countering him can be quite hard, but a lot of time he wont be nearly as devastating as other six costers could be, so hes not always bad to see.

Wolverine – Canucklehead:
The Ole' Canucklehead. Decks build around Canucklehead can absolutely ravage you, and his greatest strength is in playing the game differently. A stall deck with Canucklehead will often win by doing nothing but cycling for him with Gambits, Ghost Riders and Beasts. This strategy can be quite hard to break, as most decks solution to hard aggro will do them no good against Wolverine. The best way to stop him is to either prevent the recursion around him, or by using Distraction to keep him from attacking or just racing him. Ive had good results with the Patch Hawkeye Avengers outracing Canuckleheads where my opponent might pull him, but cant afford to play a 3 cost deployment because they need blockers. A lot of people have been saying to use a “Character must attack” global to make it so he isnt attacking alone, but keep in mind that globals are played after blockers are assigned, which means that by the time you can play that global, wolverine is already unblocked. (As pointed out correctly by Nicholas below, you can play the global during the main phase to force another dice to attack. I was trying to debunk the idea of someone playing the ability in the attack step as a counter, ie: waiting until you see what the person will do with their attackers and wolverine before committing to the counter. Primarily I was responding to people suggesting it as a way to kill Wolverine, which is not even an eventuality if you play the must attack global in the main. Nicholas does a better job explaining this than I can, go read his post )

Ok, those are the cards that I have found had an effect on our emerging meta. This post is already quite long, so Ill keep the decks section short.

Bear (or Other Big Aggro) Ramp:
This deck utilizes draw cards to speed it, Beast 666, Gambit, Ghost Rider, Nova all with the endgame of playing a Russian Bear. It is decent at stalling, and Russian Bear followed by ILCK can often result in wins, or at the very least help mitigate the swingy downside of ILCK since a Russian Bear will most likely be still on the field. (Your opponent will be forced to block RB since the ILCK has no recursion and a much higher upside in the Prep Area.)

Patch Avengers:
This deck consists of Tsarina, Patch, Longbow and a finisher Avenger (I like Star Spangled Avenger) to clear pawns since even 1 weak avenger getting through is often 6-8 damage. This deck offers truly insane burst, and Longbows will offer control and damage late into the game. Unfortunately, this deck is also fragile, as Patch is not tough enough to build around and the deck basically just stalls in his absence.

Gobby Firestorm:
This deck is everywhere, and for good reason. Gobby with Human torch offers a very stable deck that benefits from thinning and makes it work for you three times. Every pawn rolled is one less to roll against characters, one more damage on Gobby drop, and a potential 1 directed damage from Firestorm. This deck is pretty obvious and straight-forward, and in my opinion, due to how stable it is, and how fast to set up, is the early favorite for dominant deck. At the very least, every other deck needs an answer, be it a Gem Keeper, SSA, or Force Beam.

Xmen Stall Control:
Another very solid deck is the Xmen Stall Control deck featuring early stall with Beast 666, Mr. Fantastic and then transitioning into Control with McRook, Gem Keeper, Wind-Rider, Buckethead and once stabilized, winning off the back of Piotr Rasputin. This deck has gone through massive swings, mainly due to needing to be played very differently against different decks. Once mastered though, this deck is very adept at just hanging around until a Piotr drops and kills the opponent in two turns while sitting behind a huge wall of Lokis, Novas, Prof Xs and Colossus.

Nova Human Torch Combo:
This combo can be very effective if given enough time to stabilize, and I feel like this deck could be made fairly competitive if played with the correct stall. The general idea behind it is to use the pings from Human Torch to avalanche to more and more dice each turn. Human Torch is the weak link here, as he is not particularly tough, so finding a way to protect him is going to be the biggest challenge in developing the deck competitively.

Canucklehead:
Im tempted to say “Any deck with Canucklehead” will win some games, and while true, it really shorts the skill and thought put into a good Canucklehead deck. As opposed to most CCGs where getting a big threat out has more to do with resource management (which is still true here) and then protecting and supporting it, with Canucklehead, you have no way to protect him. If things go your way, which they usually will, you are guaranteed to lose him. This unique feature of this game makes building around Canucklehead rewarding. Any thinners work well, and Ghost Rider recursion may honestly be the bane of my existence. Long Live Gem Keeper!

Anyway, thats what I have for you today, we'll be playing a bunch more tonight and Ill try to update this thread with lessons learned when we do get to test.

Thanks guys for welcoming me to this great community,

-agROOK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Johnson
United States
Dunlap
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, write up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Robinson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would love to see actual deck lists with dice amounts if you have them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice analysis. I'd love to see the Big Bear decklist.

Also, regarding Canucklehead, it's generally been determined that the globals of "must attack" would have to be used during the opponent's main phase. So if Canucklehead player knows that Beast will be attacking this turn he may not attack with Wolvie. Still a win for the defensive player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Wyse
msg tools
Absolutely, I dont have the dice amounts of the decks my friends are currently trying, but Ill give you the two Im playtesting right now.

Ill get the others tonight when we all get together.

Patch Avengers:

Black Widow - Tsarina - 4 Dice
Gambit - Ace in the Hole - 3 Dice
Hawkeye - Longbow - 3 Dice
Nick Fury - Patch - 2 Dice
Loki - Gem Keeper - 2 Dice
Captain America - SSA - 2 Dice
Hulk - Jade Giant - 2 Dice
Cyclops - ILCK - 2 Dice

Force Beam
Distraction

Still getting dice amounts fixed here, and gambit might be 666. I think this deck is too aggressive to need 666, and gambit helps thin late game. Also considering Mr. Fantastic to help transition to long game if the early rush fails. Those are the ideas currently.

Xmen Control:

Beast - Mutate 666 - 4 Dice
Mr. Fantastic - Brilliant Scientist - 3 Dice
Punisher - McRook - 3 Dice
Storm - Wind Rider - 2 Dice
Nova - Buckethead - 2 Dice
Professor X - CFX - 2 Dice
Colossus - Piotr Rasputin - 2 Dice

This deck is very early in playtest, Im only on the second day. I have about four games with it, and I dont know about dice balance, or the Nova. I might need more ramp to hit Piotr faster, but Ill know more tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas P.
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great stuff, you made an error though.

Quote:
A lot of people have been saying to use a “Character must attack” global to make it so he isnt attacking alone, but keep in mind that globals are played after blockers are assigned, which means that by the time you can play that global, wolverine is already unblocked.

This is incorrect, Mr. Fantastic/Phoenix is actually an amazing counter for Canucklehead. You are in fact able to force a pawn to attack right before entering the declare attackers phase. The global actually does nothing if you use it after the declare attackers phase because the effect only lasts until end of turn, and the step in which that character could have declared an attack had already passed.

Quote:
Page 7: During a player's main step, both player can use any or all global abilities available.

If you have beasts out, it's almost always a good idea to keep a mask energy in your reserve at that point in the game. Whether you use it to pull it out of the attack zone with distraction or force a pawn to trigger a prep, it's going to get decent value. Making sure our favorite Canadian never attacks alone is a given.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Wyse
msg tools
I am aware of being able to use the global in the main phase, I was speaking to the people suggesting to do it as a trick in the attack step. There is nothing stating that you cannot play that global after declare blockers, only that it will do nothing. Ive seen quite a few people speaking about the strategy in a way where you get to wait and see what the person will do with the Wolverine before committing to the counter, which is not true.

Thanks for point it out though, you did a much better job explaining it than I did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas P.
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I think Silver Surfer's Global deserves some attention. It is not too great later in the game, but using it on turn 1 makes a HUGE difference in your tempo. It puts your turn 1 buy in your bag on turn 2 and guarantees you seeing it by turn 3. It also opens the door for a 5 cost buy on turn 2 and a holy grail 6 cost buy possibility.

Also notable is its interaction with Hulk. The global says "Take 2 damage," which is inherently different from 'Lose 2 life.' Essentially if you manage to field Hulk - Green Giant, every Shield becomes a Force Beam that you can use during your opponent's Main Step right after they are done fielding.

This is a prototype build I haven't gotten to test yet. It's pretty weak to Loki, but it is meant to be a budget build without rares.

http://www.reddit.com/r/MarvelDiceMasters/comments/24i3tf/bu...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is there no mention of the most broken card printed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Wyse
msg tools
I may be letting preconceptions get the better of me, and this may be something I get over once I test this out, but I dont like the idea of bringing a card for just its global. I dont really like the effects of surfer himself, though honest, I have a lot of junk in my Patch Avengers deck so maybe Ill test the Surfer out a little tonight.

Thanks for the suggestion. Ill let you know how my experiences with Surfer Global go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chalupa Batman
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Any consensus with 3 cost characters as far as playability wise? Gobby is the only one you've listed & that's it's own archetype. Gambit is typically my go to even though I'm usually never thrilled to purchase him. The current flow of games leans more towards the purchasing of 2 & 4 cost die over 3, but I still like the idea of running something at cost 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Wyse
msg tools
I agree that the 3 costs are sort of an odd man out a lot of the time. I think Gambit is wonderful, though definitely not part of my purchase order in most games.

Gobby, as you mentioned, needs to be built around, so you wont be splashing him.

I really like Mr. Fantastic. Everybody locally thought Elastic was easily the worst of the reds, until a friend fielded him and stalled us all for an entire night. If you are trying to stall, I think this is your grab over Gambit.

Storm - African Priestess can also be grabbed in full control decks. She has value late game too, so its not bad to have her out.

The other 3s are very situational, Beast - Kreature (blech) and Angel might be taken in in gimmick decks, but I cant seeing taking them over the others for general play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle K
Canada
flag msg tools
Curious to how Professor X's ability to prevent Actions + Globals would pair with Canucklehead; or if it's even worth it, given it can be ignored by paying 2 damage.

And great writeup!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle K
Canada
flag msg tools
agROOK wrote:
I agree that the 3 costs are sort of an odd man out a lot of the time. I think Gambit is wonderful, though definitely not part of my purchase order in most games.

Gobby, as you mentioned, needs to be built around, so you wont be splashing him.

I really like Mr. Fantastic. Everybody locally thought Elastic was easily the worst of the reds, until a friend fielded him and stalled us all for an entire night. If you are trying to stall, I think this is your grab over Gambit.

Storm - African Priestess can also be grabbed in full control decks. She has value late game too, so its not bad to have her out.

The other 3s are very situational, Beast - Kreature (blech) and Angel might be taken in in gimmick decks, but I cant seeing taking them over the others for general play.

What about rare Hawkeye or Mr. Fantastic: Brilliant Scientist? I was using him the other day and found 1/5, 2/6, and 2/7 buffed to 3/7, 4/8, 4/9 while blocking made for a great wall. Mind you, my opponent was my noob girlfriend
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chalupa Batman
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
The problem I have with Mr Fantastic is the same I have for Magneto; their globals kill their playability IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Wyse
msg tools
I absolutely hate the rare Hawkeye. He gives board presence, but killing your opponent's characters gives them tempo, and not having Hawkeye in prep does nothing for you unless you do something else to make him scarier. On top of that, hes not Longbow.

Brilliant Scientist is fine as well, sometimes hes better than Elastic, so I can definitely see using him. The nice thing about Elastic though is that he can double block after rolling down, most likely not kill anything, and then roll to either go back out there or boost your tempo.

I agree, that his global can bite you in the butt too, but I find that its a double edged sword that you (considering access to fantastic as a blocker) can more often mitigate better than your opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas P.
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cinci33 wrote:
The problem I have with Mr Fantastic is the same I have for Magneto; their globals kill their playability IMO.

Well said. The trick to making Mr. Fantastic work as a blocker despite his Global is keeping ahead on the energy race. If your deck has Beast, Storm, Gambit, and Mr. Fantastic. Chances are, you will be able to roll enough extra masks to use Distraction to remove him from the attack field.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to mention they'd need at least a 5A character to block Mr F. If he's really annoying you that much, that could be a tall order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neomaxim Noefaith
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agROOK wrote:
Absolutely, I dont have the dice amounts of the decks my friends are currently trying, but Ill give you the two Im playtesting right now.

Ill get the others tonight when we all get together.

Patch Avengers:

Black Widow - Tsarina - 4 Dice
Gambit - Ace in the Hole - 3 Dice
Hawkeye - Longbow - 3 Dice
Nick Fury - Patch - 2 Dice
Captain America - SSA - 2 Dice
Hulk - Jade Giant - 2 Dice
Cyclops - ILCK - 2 Dice

Force Beam
Distraction

Still getting dice amounts fixed here, and gambit might be 666. I think this deck is too aggressive to need 666, and gambit helps thin late game. Also considering Mr. Fantastic to help transition to long game if the early rush fails. Those are the ideas currently.

Xmen Control:

Beast - Mutate 666 - 4 Dice
Mr. Fantastic - Brilliant Scientist - 3 Dice
Punisher - McRook - 3 Dice
Storm - Wind Rider - 2 Dice
Nova - Buckethead - 2 Dice
Professor X - CFX - 2 Dice
Colossus - Piotr Rasputin - 2 Dice

This deck is very early in playtest, Im only on the second day. I have about four games with it, and I dont know about dice balance, or the Nova. I might need more ramp to hit Piotr faster, but Ill know more tomorrow.

I've been a big advocate of the "X-men Control" as you call it, since pre-release when it was the first standout in my review games. To this day is it still absolutely devastating.

I play almost precisely your deck, but actually use the 4-Cost "Flame on Human Torch" instead of Punisher as it gives you a secondary avenue to victory if the game really stalls out. A Gem-Keeper Loki on my Colossus taught me that without him, the team really suffers in offensive potential. FO Torch fixes that right up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Wyse
msg tools
Ill be playing this deck almost exclusively tonight, so Ill try the torch in it for a bit if you dont mind me stealing your concept.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Butche
United States
Rochester Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
Thank you for the significant effort put into this thread, it really shows and was a great read. I look forward to reading more of your experiences, so keep 'em coming!

What characters other than Colossus have you had success with for damage ramping? I tried a few of the Things and the uncommon Hulk, and neither really clicked particularly well, though those decks had a multitude of other problems. How do you feel about the Doc Oc that lets you disable a defender?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Watkins

Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hulk green giant and torch Johnny storm combo work well when it stacks it can wipe the board pretty easily. I've found wallcrawler's lure to be pretty wicked too to clear the way. Was hoping for suggestions on my build.

Widow-tsrani-4
Beast-666-3
Torch-Johnny storm-3
Hulk-Green giant-2
Professor x- powerful psychic-2
Cyclops-if looks could kill-1
Goblin-goblin lord-3
Spiderman-wallcrawler-2

Invulnerability
Distraction

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas P.
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could probably reduce the number of Johnny Storms to 2 if you think there's a die that you need an extra of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Wyse
msg tools
1) For those of you looking for other decks (Bear Ramp Etc), Ill post those lists tomorrow. I forgot to write the lists down while the group was over, they'll be texting me the lists tomorrow and Ill put them up when I get them.

2) I tried the Flame On! human torch in place of McRook in the Xmen Control, and I think that its close to a toss up. It may be playstyle related, but I always felt more proactive and aggressive with the McRook out on the table. Flame On! is definitely the better closer though, and has the benefit of being much better in the Gobby matchup. Thursday is our next play session, Im going to try to be a little bit more aggressive with Flame On! to see if its a playstyle thing; though I need to realize right now that this deck is stall as well, so being aggressive early may not actually help that much. Flame On! maybe has a slight edge, more testing is definitely needed.

Countblanc wrote:
What characters other than Colossus have you had success with for damage ramping? I tried a few of the Things and the uncommon Hulk, and neither really clicked particularly well, though those decks had a multitude of other problems. How do you feel about the Doc Oc that lets you disable a defender?

3) I dont really like the Things, and the Green Goliath Hulk I am not sold on. Ive seen Hulk - Annihilator put to good use as his recursion can be strong, and having one out makes getting other ones out really stable. As soon as one hits the table, most likely any further purchased will be moved to the prep area the next turn to start a big Hulk recycling engine, which can be scary. I really like Bucket Head Nova as a potentially beat, though Quasar Nova is part of the Bear Ramp as a support piece, so thats not a common option. (EDIT - forgot to address Doc Oc). I really dont like Doc Oc as a beat, as 4 damage doesnt really do it for me. He can be shut down honestly by any of the stall cards and a ghost rider.

Another wonderful option in my opinion, and bear with me, is Angelo Fortunato Venom. I absolutely love him as a finisher and primarily for the way he reacts with control. McRooks, Hawkeyes, Beasts, Gambits, Gobbies, Human Torches, all of these lose faces against him. McRooks and Hawkeyes are especially nerfed. Another ace part of him is the way he gives Tsarina a little late game boost, Fortunato can really use the fist energies and helps roll down common late game stallers. I think he is highly situational, but there is definitely synergies here to be explored.

Ledzhedz wrote:
Hulk green giant and torch Johnny storm combo work well when it stacks it can wipe the board pretty easily. I've found wallcrawler's lure to be pretty wicked too to clear the way. Was hoping for suggestions on my build.

Widow-tsrani-4
Beast-666-3
Torch-Johnny storm-3
Hulk-Green giant-2
Professor x- powerful psychic-2
Cyclops-if looks could kill-1
Goblin-goblin lord-3
Spiderman-wallcrawler-2

Invulnerability
Distraction

4) I personally dont really like Powerful Telepath all that much, as playing globals seems to be something you really only "need" at very key times in the games anyway. The five spot is filled with so many great drops, Wind-Rider, Gem Keeper, Quasar Nova amongst others, that I cant see running him. If you are going to run him, I think you take advantage by bullying with the cards that bring a ton of value but are
"balanced" by their communal globals; Mr. Fantastic, Distraction (which you have) Phoenix, etc... make good use of him.

5) A final thing about the Xmen Control, it really seems as if there are two different ways to play the deck. The divergence is at the 5 drop, either Gem Keeper or Wind-Rider. In all the games I played, I always felt the game diverging, and the main point was whether I was ahead or behind. I reached for the Wind-Rider when behind and the Loki when ahead. I got caught early in one of the test games by a sixteen swing ILCK, so I sat pretty paranoid on the Loki for him for a good chunk of the night. Not great play, Gem Keeper is a much better card with two cycling for what your opponent's deck currently looks like, and not what you just dont like.

Ok guys and gals, Ill post more tomorrow from my playtest notes, but for now, Im calling it a night.

-agROOK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas P.
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh jeez... I didn't even look at the Rare Venom. That card is insane. The only low cost fist character is Black Widow and if you aren't running her, that power will just completely ruin you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.