Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke Heidebrecht
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just found a copy of battles of the third age at a local game store - I have the 2nd edition of WoTR and am curious if they are compatible. If not are there any ways to make it playable? I am really pumped about it and hope it works!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Kearns
Utah
flag msg tools
Trains!
badge
Houseplant?
mbmbmbmbmb
Content for War of the Ring is technically not compatible, with the largest hurdle being card size.

I'm under the impression that the Rohan & Gondor battle scenarios only need figures and dice from War of the Ring, so those scenarios would be compatible as is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn von Knorring
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
The picture is a swedish cartoon-figure Herman Hedning. English info here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Hedning
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO it's worth getting for the battles of rohan and Gondor-scenarios. But you still need figures from WOTR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heidebrecht
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcadious wrote:
Content for War of the Ring is technically not compatible, with the largest hurdle being card size.

I'm under the impression that the Rohan & Gondor battle scenarios only need figures and dice from War of the Ring, so those scenarios would be compatible as is.

Thanks for this information.

So, let's see if I have this right. Battles of the Third Age contains 2 separate scenarios for Rohan and Gondor battles - but it also contains an expansion for WoTR, which as I understand was the precursor to the developing (3?) new expansions including Lords of Middle-Earth.

These expansion elements will not work with my second edition game because the card sizes are different - is that right?

I am interested in the separate scenarios - but is the expansion worth playing with as well? If so, I would guess I would need to find 1st Edition cards? I wonder if anyone who bought a 2nd edition upgrade kit would be willing to sell their old 1st edition cards (given that they do not also own BotTA)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn von Knorring
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
The picture is a swedish cartoon-figure Herman Hedning. English info here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Hedning
mbmbmbmbmb
Question 1: correct

Question 2: correct

Question 3: IMHO, no. I think it is a reason you didn't continued working with the expansions from BoTA and instead started over with a 2nd edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Kearns
Utah
flag msg tools
Trains!
badge
Houseplant?
mbmbmbmbmb
That is my understanding, but I have never owned War of the Ring: Battles of the Third Age.

Check this list for parts:
http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/items/boardgame/9609?has...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Per other threads, if you add elements from the BotTA expansion Twilight of the Third Age, you won't get a thoroughly playtested, balanced game, but you'll have more bits to mess around with.

Here are the WotR 1st edition expansion bits that can be easily adapted for use by 2nd edition owners:

Compatible:
Galadriel*
Smeagol*
Balrog*
Chief of the Ringwraiths*

*These versions are different from, and (excepting the Balrog) inferior to, the Lords of Middle Earth ones

Compatible, but ...

The Ents of Fangorn (1)
The Hillmen of Dunland (1,2)
The Corsairs of Umbar (1)
Siege Engines (2,3)

1) corresponding Event cards in 2e have significantly different text, so you would need to reference the BotTA event text
2) you won't be able to incorporate new combat card effects
3) new Event card incompatible

Incompatible:

A few Event cards (some of which are reintroduced in Lords of Middle Earth)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Meyers
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

How do you access that page above for other games??

I never knew that page existed for each game?

Where do you find that on a Game's page?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heidebrecht
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rafamir wrote:
Per other threads, if you add elements from the BotTA expansion Twilight of the Third Age, you won't get a thoroughly playtested, balanced game, but you'll have more bits to mess around with.

Here are the WotR 1st edition expansion bits that can be easily adapted for use by 2nd edition owners:

Compatible:
Galadriel*
Smeagol*
Balrog*
Chief of the Ringwraiths*

*These versions are different from, and (excepting the Balrog) inferior to, the Lords of Middle Earth ones

Compatible, but ...

The Ents of Fangorn (1)
The Hillmen of Dunland (1,2)
The Corsairs of Umbar (1)
Siege Engines (2,3)

1) corresponding Event cards in 2e have significantly different text, so you would need to reference the BotTA event text
2) you won't be able to incorporate new combat card effects
3) new Event card incompatible

Incompatible:

A few Event cards (some of which are reintroduced in Lords of Middle Earth)

Rafamir - thanks for all the above. This is what I sort of assumed. I am still interested in whether it is worth keeping the game simply for the Rohan and Gondor Scenarios. Not sure if I will actually get these played that much, especially considering I am planning on grabbing Battle of Five Armies as soon as it hits the stores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, once 2e was released, I never played the old expansion anymore. I kept BotTA for the Rohan and Gondor games, though I've barely played them. They don't grab me the way the grand sweep of WotR does, but that's just me. (Also, I have yet to climb the learning curve for the battle games, although the java client includes them.) I may get more excited about trying them again after I've played Battle of Five Armies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Kearns
Utah
flag msg tools
Trains!
badge
Houseplant?
mbmbmbmbmb
Constantinople wrote:

How do you access that page above for other games??

I never knew that page existed for each game?

Where do you find that on a Game's page?

The link can be found in the Statistics box on every game page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.