Popular Tags: [View All]
Shane Girven
United Kingdom
Basildon
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has this been released yet, I'm sure I saw that it would be released 5th May?

Anybody got it yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dunaway
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
girvatron wrote:
Has this been released yet, I'm sure I saw that it would be released 5th May?

Anybody got it yet?

I just ordered it through http://www.sjgames.com/dice/zombiedice/schoolbus/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 5th was the date it started shipping. It will be in stores as quickly as the shipping channels can move it around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Anciello
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Just saw on amazon it has a May 21st release date. Can anyone confirm that they've received theirs soon after the supposed May 5th release date?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dunaway
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have mine. It's really cool. I ordered it directly from sjgames.com, so I can't say for sure whether Amazon has it or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Girven
United Kingdom
Basildon
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So what is it like, please share your thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dunaway
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
girvatron wrote:
So what is it like, please share your thoughts.

I like it, although for the first few times you play you need to have the rules handy as there are certain circumstances where the regular dice change values.

Since it's also possible to score up to 5 brains on one roll, I recommend changing the end-of-game condition to a higher value, like 21. Otherwise the game tends to end to quickly.

Other than that, I really like it and highly recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the rules online somewhere? I'd like to see how it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dunaway
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
weishaupt wrote:
Are the rules online somewhere? I'd like to see how it works.

If they are, I haven't been able to find them. The expansion consists of the large yellow d12, brain and shotgun blast tokens. The d12 represents a school bus full of kids who are armed with shotguns.

The d12 never gets put into the dice cup. It's sides are:
1 brain (on 2 different sides)
2 brains
3 brains
1 shotgun blast
2 shotgun blasts
1 brain and 1 shotgun blast
2 brains and 1 shotgun blast
Stop sign
Yield sign
Dead End sign
Tire track

On your turn, you draw and roll 3 dice like normal. On subsequent turns, you may choose to roll the school bus die along with 2 regular dice. You are still only rolling 3 dice at a time. when you roll the school bus die, you are, in effect, "jumping on the bus".

If, on the school bus die you roll brains or shotguns, you take the appropriate token(s) and add them to your brain and/or shotgun blast dice. As usual, 3 shotgun blasts ends your turn.

If you roll the Stop sign, your turn ends and you score whatever brains you have.

If you roll the Yield sign, the children "stop shooting and run". All shotguns are turned into Feet.

If you roll the Dead End sign, all feet are turned into brains.

If you roll the Tire track, you lose 1 brain. You can keep rolling the dice, but you cannot roll the school bus die again until your next turn.

While you are "on the school bus", all feet represent someone who jumped off the bus and ran. You can choose to chase them down by setting aside the school bus die (you can't roll it again until your next turn) and reroll any feet plus enough dice from the cup so that you're rolling 3 dice. Or, you can "stay on the bus" by discarding the feet dice, pulling enough dice from the cup to replace them and rolling the dice again. The discarded feet dice get put back into the cup at the end of your turn.

If you are also using Zombie Dice 2: Double Feature, the effects of these dice are resolved before the effects of the school bus die.

That's basically it in a nutshell. I hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot, Jim!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dunaway
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
weishaupt wrote:
Thanks a lot, Jim!

You're welcome, and trust me, if you like Zombie Dice it's well worth getting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jd4556 wrote:
weishaupt wrote:
Thanks a lot, Jim!

I was a bit hesitant simply because it's a 12-sider -- just like Cthulhu Die, which is terrible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dunaway
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
weishaupt wrote:
jd4556 wrote:
weishaupt wrote:
Thanks a lot, Jim!

I was a bit hesitant simply because it's a 12-sider -- just like Cthulhu Die, which is terrible.

It's slightly larger and heavier than the Cthulhu die, and it rolls a lot better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jd4556 wrote:
weishaupt wrote:
jd4556 wrote:
weishaupt wrote:
Thanks a lot, Jim!

It's slightly larger and heavier than the Cthulhu die, and it rolls a lot better.

Oh, I wasn't clear enough (or at all, now that I'm reading what I wrote): the *game* Cthulhu Dice is really crap, and I was afraid this was just a variation on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
weishaupt wrote:
Oh, I wasn't clear enough (or at all, now that I'm reading what I wrote): the *game* Cthulhu Dice is really crap, and I was afraid this was just a variation on it.

1. I disagree. And sales disagree.

2. No relation at all beyond both are d12s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
PhilReed wrote:
weishaupt wrote:

Because if something is popular, it must be good, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PhilReed wrote:
weishaupt wrote:

2. No relation at all beyond both are d12s.

Oh, this is just my opinion, of course.
But Cthulhu Dice is an enhanced version of LCR, and there are very few decisions to make (and again, opinions vary as to how meaningful that handful of decisions can be). Not enough decisions here for me to consider this a game. Is it a funny time killer between drinks? Enough people think so for Cthulhu Dice to remain in print, apparently.
Still, I'd be curious to know how many bought CD to *play* it, and how many bought it because it's a very cool-looking Cthulhu die.
(Hell, I almost did myself!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xipuloxx wrote:

When dozens of jobs are directly affected, and thousands of jobs are indirectly affected, sales matter. A lot.

NOTE: Tastes vary. Something one person likes may not be liked by others. "Good" is subjective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
weishaupt wrote:
Oh, this is just my opinion, of course.

Yes. Exactly. "Game Quality" is all opinion. I like games others don't like. I dislike games other do like. That's how things are . . . and great! It would be boring if we all liked the exact same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
PhilReed wrote:
xipuloxx wrote:

When dozens of jobs are directly affected, and thousands of jobs are indirectly affected, sales matter. A lot.

NOTE: Tastes vary. Something one person likes may not be liked by others. "Good" is subjective.

Sorry to derail this thread, but I think this is worth replying to.

The sales of every game matter to those employed by the companies who make them. Does that mean people should never express their opinion that a game is crap? Such opinions are the lifeblood of these forums.

Of course tastes are subjective; that's like saying water is wet. But Francis's tastes (specifically, his dislike of Cthulhu Dice) was relevant to his point; that he was concerned that this expansion might be similar to that thing he dislikes. I don't see what relevance your tastes, or the sales figures, have.

Besides, as an employee of SJG, your opinion is hardly unbiased. You coming on here and basically saying "Well I say it IS good, and besides, it's popular so there!" looks pretty bad to me. Attempting to make this about all those people whose jobs are on the line if we dare to criticise the product is bordering on the despicable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

We all admire great games and that's good, at the same time a game is just a thing to make people happy, so if a game makes people happy it is, by this definition, a good game. I've played Fluxx once, and that's as many times as I ever care to play it. But it makes a lot of people happy, so I'm glad there's Martian Fluxx and Monty Python Fluxx and, for all I know, Wagnerian Opera Fluxx. If they printed Brönte Sisters Fluxx I would be glad. I wouldn't buy it, play it, or even look at the box, but I would be glad it was out there.

And the *other* side of this is that Chtulhu Dice is not LCR. I did a simulation in Java that I ned to find a way to share. This program let you select different simple strategies for different positions around the table then ran the game a thousand times. Turns out how you play makes a substantial difference in your chance to win. A simple strategy (always attack the strongest/weakest/player to your right) about doubles your chance of winning. An adaptive strategy would probably do even more to increase your chances, though it's still a dice game.

Note that staying sane is not as important as we usually think it is. We probably just have a bias toward sanity because we're sane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xipuloxx wrote:
Attempting to make this about all those people whose jobs are on the line if we dare to criticise the product is bordering on the despicable.

Not at all what I intended. My point is that a game that sells well and is enjoyed by many is a great thing for a company to have.

It's certainly far better than a game that is enjoyed by a few hundred or thousand and sales aren't strong enough to support the costs and the company.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andreww wrote:
We probably just have a bias toward sanity because we're sane.

Speak for yourself! Sanity is overrated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. - The Tick

If there is a negative correlation between sanity and winning, then the game is satirical, fine.

If there is a very loose correlation between sanity and winning, then probably sanity is ancillary and has a very indirect connection to winning.

If there is a very loose correlation between sanity and winning in a game you win by being the last sane player, then something profound is going on in the game. You would think that means it's all luck, but empirical evidence shows that's not the case.

I wish I had time to work on that Java thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread is reminding me that Hipster Dice will be out later this year... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.