Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Variants

Subject: Playing Attack Wing as an RPG rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Song
United States
California
flag msg tools
For the past few weeks, I've been GM'ing an Attack Wing campaign with modified rules for a persistent RPG.

Basically, most of the plot structure and advancement is handled by a gamemaster (GM), who decides player promotion, missions, and galactic politics. The GM also provides the narrating voice for NPCs, a player's crew, etc.

The players earn "prestige" based on their performance during missions and other encounters. The prestige points can be used to transfer upgrades and other crew members to their ship, using the squad cost as the cost in prestige to obtain.

In between encounters, the player characters have a great deal of freedom to interact with their crew or assign tasks. The GM, through the NPC, tells the player what the results are, or if the task is even feasible.

Every time a player completes a mission, I put a small report on a google doc that serves to show all the other player characters in the universe what has happened. Players from opposing factions have a much more limited report, depending on their factions' relations. I put global events in here too, which can give players potential clues about their campaign.

Now, this demands a great deal of creativity and storytelling from the Gamemaster, but allows for some really interesting gameplay. During one encounter with NPC pirates, for example, one of my players intimidated a Ferengi NPC into turning on his pirate allies, then stole his latinum after arresting him.

Here's the basic rules I wrote up, in case anyone wants to try a similar style of campaign:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8pGFj6LlYZwX3NpN2JmV09UMHc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin OConnor
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
What is your favorite color?
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sure that some will be offended by this but:

Star Wars Edge of the Empire is an absolutely amazing RPG system. Putting together a conversion on that would be pretty epic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Gabel
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks cool! I downloaded them and will give them a read-through. As fun as Attack Wing can be, I like that this brings the game closer to the show, which is often less about direct combat than it is about the actions of individual characters. Star Trek lends itself well to roleplaying..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.