Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This rule is true for pretty much every board/card game that have effects that can contradict each other; if a "can" and a "can't" clash, "can't" wins always and forever. It's commonly known as one of the two "golden rules" (the first being that if a card contradicts the rules, the card wins). Anyone knows why that is exactly? why not the other way around? you know, in some games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because most of the time the 'can't' effect is put in to stop a 'can' effect that broke game balance in testing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, you can have the 'cans' take precedence. Except when there is a 'can't' and then you can't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure what you mean.

I'm thinking about Chess. Pieces can't move through each other as a general rule. But there is one when they can: knights can always move through occupied squares. So can takes precedence over can't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bwingrave wrote:
I'm thinking about Chess. Pieces can't move through each other as a general rule. But there is one when they can: knights can always move through occupied squares. So can takes precedence over can't.
Except the rules are typically given in the format of "The bishop can move diagonally an unlimited number of spaces. If there is a piece in the way, it cannot travel any further and must stop it's move."

The reason why things are explained that way is that it's easier to establish a big framework and then give limiting exceptions. It would be really weird to explain everything you can't do and then give a few exceptions of what you can do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Usually because the way games work is that the rules describe what happens and is true for most of the time, and then document the exceptions with the various 'can't's that are situational and don't always come up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
just play Pandemic
- you can lose if you run out of cubes
- you can lose if you run out of cards
- you can lose if you have too many outbreaks

a bunch of cans
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Can" effects are often themed as granting an ability—without them, you can incapable of performing the action. "Can't" effects are often prohibitions, something that is preventing you from taking an action, and thus overrides your ability to do the action in its absence.

Alternately, can't trumps can in Magic: The Gathering, and its rules are used a model for a lot of other games, implicitly or otherwise.

In Exalted, they even make an explicit point of the Unstoppable Object being stopped by Immovable Wall, in that Perfect Attacks which always hit are always blocked by Perfect Defenses that always work, to put an end to the arms race that would otherwise result (and because getting hit by a competent opponent basically kills you, so you need Perfect Defenses).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We can dance if we want to.

v.s.

We can't dance if we want to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksander K
Poland
Warszawa
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:
[...]
- you can lose...

a bunch of cans

You will lose, especially if all are empty

The same rule of can't over can is used everywhere. Check how grammar rules and exceptions are created and presented.

It is always easier to show bigger picture, before narrowing it. Try to imagine how things like eBay would work with reverse category tree & search engine...

Madness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think because the only function "can't" serves is to contradict a "can."

Why have them in the game at all if the "can" wins?

In other words, if you play a card that says, "All my dudes have first strike," and the "Oh no they don't" card doesn't take precedence, why have that card in there at all?

From a design point, I think it has to be this way, or else you wind up with worthless cards.

Special abilities add interest and variety to a game and to balance them out, you have the "can't" cards. For them to function at all, they need to take precedence, I would think.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
The reason why things are explained that way is that it's easier to establish a big framework and then give limiting exceptions.

This. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Advanced Squad Leader has long had the mantra of COWTRA, Concentrate On What The Rules Allow. As long as you find a way something CAN be done, there are an infinite number of CAN'Ts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
kroen wrote:
This rule is true for pretty much every board/card game that have effects that can contradict each other; if a "can" and a "can't" clash, "can't" wins always and forever. It's commonly known as one of the two "golden rules" (the first being that if a card contradicts the rules, the card wins). Anyone knows why that is exactly? why not the other way around? you know, in some games?

"Can't" wins so that it can do anything at all. Almost everything in your game is "can." It's usually just implicit. Let's consider a case from the early days of Magic. Stone Rain says "destroy target land." Consecrate Land says "enchanted land can't be destroyed." They contradict each other. If "can" won here, Consecrate Land would be useless; the entire point to it is to beat "can."

You don't need to have this conflict; you can use "replacements," as Magic calls them. Consecrate Land can say, "when enchanted land would be destroyed, it isn't." That doesn't create a contradiction with "destroy target land;" it's clear what happens.

In practice replacements are too confusing for most games (they are also confusing in the other games, but you know, some games have an audience with fewer casual players). So you fall back on "can't beats can."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yao-ban Chan
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because the rules only tell you what you can do. We see this all the time in the rules lawyer/ethics threads; people saying "the rules don't say I can't do such-and-such, therefore I can do it". The correct response to this is of course, "the rules don't say I can't punch you in the face, therefore I can do it". In other words, the default position is that you can't do everything (i.e. you can't do anything), and the rules tell you what things you can do. The specific "can't"s in the rules have therefore to go over the "can" layer (you can't have two "can't" layers) and therefore must take precedence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, very informative!

And while we're discussing golden rules, my favorite is the Golden Rule of Lovecraftian Games: If you don't know which is right, and the rules don't tell you, do the thing that's most harmful for the players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dune Tiger
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never thought about it. I've been working in IT so long, explicit denies always overrule everything, so it's just natural thinking for me. That being said, I don't think it's always the case in board games. In many cases, you can't do something unless you have a card or an ability that allows you to.

But yes, in a clash, the deny is always more powerful. Call it an application of Newton's first law?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Maciel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe Thunkd nailed it.

"Can't"s are exceptions. No one explains the exceptions first and, therefore, they overrule what was established so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.