Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Navajo Wars» Forums » General

Subject: On the fence about buying the game, is it fun or is it a complex rule fest rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have been kicking around buying the game for about a month and with the GMT sale going on , I am almost ready to pull the trigger, however I need to make sure if this is 1)Fun 2)involves enough conflict(war/battles) 3) is not a bloody rule fest type game. Also I will be playing solitaire only. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you had a chance to check out the posted reviews?

I heard the game is close to being a sellout, so I'd snag a copy ASAP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd say with Joel's online tutorials of the game plus the playbook, anyone can learn the game that wants to, regardless of aptitude. There are also some great files on the game's page ("Flatten the Learning Curve" summary comes to mind)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Summers
United States
Potomac Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't think the rules are difficult, the hard part in my opinion is getting a handle on the tactics ... I.e. What is the best move in each situation. It takes a few plays to understand how the mechanics impact things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rockin Rocko wrote:
So I have been kicking around buying the game for about a month and with the GMT sale going on , I am almost ready to pull the trigger, however I need to make sure if this is 1)Fun 2)involves enough conflict(war/battles) 3) is not a bloody rule fest type game. Also I will be playing solitaire only. Thanks

It is tense and fun.

There is enough conflict. It comes in the form of you doing Raids on New Mexico and the Europeans sending in raids of their own into your lands, where you can run away, harass, or ambush them. There are no huge battles if that is what you mean.

It's complex. But if you watch the videos you'll be fine. But it will also take a few plays to get used to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bertucelli
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As Steve said it's almost sold-out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Patterson
United States
Ringgold
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.
mbmbmbmbmb
I hardly ever post on BGG and I came out of lurking status to tell you that it's a great game and you should pick it up. That should give you an idea.

Seriously though, it's only beaten by Fields of Fire for the solitaire experience, in my opinion. And that's including Magic Realm currently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all, I ordered it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rockin Rocko wrote:

Yes! Well done, sir.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Rockin Rocko wrote:

Me too, so thank you for convincing me it was a good buy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheeler
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be interesting to see which games were the most ordered during this sale. Navajo Wars looks like it might be at the top of the list going by the sale thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
mister allen wrote:
It would be interesting to see which games were the most ordered during this sale. Navajo Wars looks like it might be at the top of the list going by the sale thread.

Which thread is that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheeler
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigrillo wrote:
mister allen wrote:

Which thread is that?

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1165836/gmt-one-week-sale-up...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Klinkisch
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
colmmccarthy wrote:
mister allen wrote:
Tigrillo wrote:
mister allen wrote:

Which thread is that?

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1165836/gmt-one-week-sale-up...

Yep. A lot of love for Navajo Wars and Space Empires 4X going on there.

Well deserved!
Really in love with the game... after winning against the Mexicans (yeah, I'm THAT kind of player: I like to win )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had no idea it was doing so well saleswise. God damn, am I glad to hear that. Great to see non-WWII, interesting topics killing GMT sales (COIN series as well). Bodes well for future willingness for GMT to take risks on theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
garysax wrote:
Had no idea it was doing so well saleswise. God damn, am I glad to hear that. Great to see non-WWII, interesting topics killing GMT sales (COIN series as well). Bodes well for future willingness for GMT to take risks on theme.

I'll second that. So glad some different topics are being put out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Packard
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shoot. Apparently I saw this thread too late. I guess the sale's over....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rockin Rocko wrote:

Good move!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
There's not as much conflict as D-Day at Omaha Beach (which I see you own), but there's a decent amount. It's far more abstracted though. It's more more operational level than tactical level, so you spend more time allocating your resources to different places.

The game is brilliant. I'd say it's on par with the amount of rules in D-Day at Omaha Beach, so depending on how you felt about that you will like it or not. I don't think it's hard to learn (it's no where near as complex as ASL or the like), especially since the playbook is phenomenal, and Joel did some great videos for it.

The game really is great. I p500d it on a whim (as I watched Joel's previews and thought it looked interesting) and I'm really glad I did. Be aware there are some errata, but most of it isn't all that bad (some cards are misprinted, and the rulebook needs some clarifications). I didn't really need any of the errata or clarifications in order to play 5 or 6 games, but they might help you out (you can find them on the game page here).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.