Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
I came upon the battle of Petersburg in 2006 as I was writing a paper on Major General Gouverneur Kemble Warren. I soon realized that Warren, despite his eccentricities, was not a dynamic enough character but I took special note of Warren’s spectacular failure at Petersburg on June 17. I knew of the battle from snippets, but like the mass of Civil War buffs and historians I paid the engagement little attention. I was intrigued to see that it was in fact a large field battle in which even the broad details were obscure. Yet, in trying to find out what had happened, the paucity of germane works compelled me to take this up as my Master’s Thesis topic at Southeastern Louisiana University. If not for fate, it would have been the topic of my PhD dissertation as well.

The Union seemed to be a perfect position to win the battle. They outnumbered the Confederate defenders throughout the battle and Robert E. Lee failed to ascertain the danger of the situation. On June 15 XVIII Corps seized the Dimmock Line. Black troops played a prominent role in this stage of the fighting. Although Petersburg did not fall, it seemed to poised to fall on June 16. The next day though brought a Union assault that ended up being Cold Harbor in miniature. Yet still Lee was nowhere in sight, entangled in fighting Butler at Bermuda Hundred. The city could have fallen on June 17. That day the Union made three attacks. The first was a brilliant success but Meade failed to capitalize on it. The second was an utter failure. The last breached the Rebel lines. After hours of fierce fighting and Union bungling, the rupture was contained. By June 18 Lee had arrived but the Union attacked anyway, leading to heavy losses. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain suffered a wound so grievous it was declared mortal. The 1st Maine Heavy Artillery attacked with 900 men. 632 fell in ten minutes. The battle ended up being the 13th bloodiest of the war and no battle fought after it surpassed it in losses, although Franklin and Atlanta came close.

Its importance is undeniable. If Petersburg had fallen, Richmond would have fallen too, and with that Lincoln's reelection would have been assured. Instead the war dragged on, making Petersburg perhaps the South’s last great strategic victory. Yet there is only one book on the battle. In part, Petersburg’s relative obscurity was due to circumstance. There was no court of inquiry which meant no one had to answer for the defeat. By the same token few wanted to claim glory save Beauregard. In this he was mostly alone. Yet, the key to understanding why Petersburg was forgotten is the role that Lee and Grant played in the duel between causes both just and lost. Both men became heroes to the societies of North and South. Civil War historian and novelist Shelby Foote hit upon this tendency to make gods of Civil War generals when he said, “We think that we are a wholly superior People. If we’d been anything like as superior as we think we are, we would not have fought that war. But since we did fight it, we have to make it the greatest war of all times. And our generals were the greatest generals of all time. It’s very American to do that.”

I want to address this imbalance and shed light on an important and dramatic battle. Potomac Books is willing to publish my work but I must pay for the index and the maps. I could publish with neither thing but that would be an impossibility if I want this book to be as good as possible. I come here as a beggar, to my fellow wargamers, please support my efforts by donating on Kickstarter. If I do not secure the funding I am not sure how to proceed.

I come here as a desperate begger. The last time I posted a link to the campaign it was deleted. I will post no link here. Reply here or send me a geekmail and I will you the details. This is the best thing I have yet done with my life. Please help me make it to the finish line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reminder. I pledged some before, but meant to increase it if circumstances allowed, and then forgot to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Ryan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If there is an option for us Europeans by now or if one comes up in the future feel free to geekmail me about it. Always been a fan of the ACW work you have done here and I still have to thank you for indirectly pointing me towards the excellent A Stillness at Appomattox that I am enjoying right now.

Edit: just found the RSP thread. It seems that for international pledges the minimum is 75$. That's a bit more than I had in mind, I am sorry to say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oldsin wrote:
If there is an option for us Europeans by now or if one comes up in the future feel free to geekmail me about it. Always been a fan of the ACW work you have done here and I still have to thank you for indirectly pointing me towards the excellent A Stillness at Appomattox that I am enjoying right now.

Edit: just found the RSP thread. It seems that for international pledges the minimum is 75$. That's a bit more than I had in mind, I am sorry to say.

Maybe not. I did find this: http://www.iosart.com/misc/m-bags.html

And with that in mind I will look into revising the International book shipping to around $65. Will that work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gittes wrote:
oldsin wrote:

Maybe not. I did find this: http://www.iosart.com/misc/m-bags.html

And with that in mind I will look into revising the International book shipping to around $65. Will that work?

I am at a similar point in life as you seem to be and can´t really justify spending 65$ on a book I won´t see for another year, no matter how good I think it may be. So I went for the 10$ pledge because it doesn´t require a US residence anyways.

Nothing gained but glory!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oldsin wrote:

It is however the greatest thing to gain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gittes wrote:
oldsin wrote:

It is however the greatest thing to gain.

"Nothing gained but Money and Glory" Sounds much better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The maps and index are funded. The book is now a question of time. I am overwhelmed. Thank you all.

Now, on to Richmond!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gittes wrote:
The maps and index are funded. The book is now a question of time. I am overwhelmed. Thank you all.

Now, on to Richmond!

Congrats!

Now where's my book? Or do I have to start a thread "What does this mean for Petersburg: Valor and Slaughter?" cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keethrax wrote:
gittes wrote:

Now, on to Richmond!

Congrats!

Now where's my book? Or do I have to start a thread "What does this mean for Petersburg: Valor and Slaughter?" cry

hahaha.

If the book is not out by April 2014 we will both be making similar posts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I came upon the battle of Petersburg in 2006

much better in 86:

http://youtu.be/dOyWJY_MlEc?t=2m22s
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gittes wrote:

2015?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keethrax wrote:
gittes wrote:

2015?

hahaha...but no. The book will be out early next year. The final draft is to be turned in in about a month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gittes wrote:
keethrax wrote:
gittes wrote:

2015?

hahaha...but no. The book will be out early next year. The final draft is to be turned in in about a month.

Early next year is 2015...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keethrax wrote:
gittes wrote:
keethrax wrote:
gittes wrote:

2015?

Early next year is 2015...

Must be one hell of a hangover

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah 2015. What am I drunk?

I finalized which photographs will be used in the book today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.