Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Schoonmaker-Gates
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blob world says "5 attack OR draw a card for each Blob card that you've played this turn."

I have a couple of questions:
1) On the turn you play Blob World, you would count Blob World, plus any other Blob cards you've played so far this turn?
2) On a subsequent turn that Blob World is already out, you don't count any
Blob bases that were already out towards that number, including itself. You have to actually play the Blob card, not just activate on the turn, right?
3) You play Blob World first, then play 2 other Blob cards and have them be activated, and then draw 3 cards from the effect of the Blob World. Does Blob World's action takes effect right when you play it or at any time during your turn?

I think the wording on the card is pretty clear, but I guess I wanted to just double check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It always counts...

It counts when you play it to the table... in this case all other blog cards already on the table count for it's ability and all blob cards played after also count...

If you already have it on the table in subsequent rounds all blog cards you play trigger the ability... it also counts all blob bases you have in play... The bases that survive from on turn to another and stay on the table are counted has if you just played them at the start of your turn

The last question I'm not sure... I would say you cannot, in normal deck builders it wouldn't happen, but this one seams to use some different mechanics (like the activation of allied abilities all cards counting for that)...
So maybe it's allowed... you draw 3 cards, in those cards you get blob cards and play then so you draw the same amount of cards has the number of new blob cards you played and so on...

If it was me I would say the 3rd question wouldn't be possible, but considering how the game is played I think it is... if you draw more blob cards and play them you draw more cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Schoonmaker-Gates
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, my third question was confusing, so I edited it to change it a bit.

Your answers surprise me. Do you know if there is a FAQ or reference in the rules to this that you're basing your answer on? How do other players play the Blob World?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm basing in many replies I've read here on the forums... I was surprise at first too...

I was used to the way it worked with Legendary that also has types of cards that combine powers and boost (Tech Heroes, or Avengers, or X-men, etc)...

In Legendary the cards that get boosted require on card with the same icon to already have been played, so If in a turn I played 2 cards that with boosting powers only one of them would activate that boost...

In Star Realms both cards activate their faction powers, is like you play them to the table and that constitutes your fleet and when your fleet is done all powers activate if you have combining faction members

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brooks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Proud writer for iSlayTheDragon
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the third question, the rules state:

Using Abilities wrote:

With the exception of a Ship's Primary Ability (which triggers immediately as the Ship is played), players may use the various abilities of their in-play Ships and Bases at any time during their Main Phase.

You can thus use the ability of a base (including newly played ones) at any point during your turn including after having played some or all of your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the rephrasing of the 3rd question... the primary powers of the cards are activated immediately, but you don't have to use them right away... you store them in a "Pool"... so lets say you play a card that gives you 4 combat as a primary ability... you don't have to use those 4 combat right away... you store those 4 combat points in a shared combat pool and then you continue to play other cards and do the same, so if you play another card that gives you 5 combat you now have 9 combat points to distribute...

then you check for secondary abilities, and activate the ones that you can, and also put them in a pool, so say that a faction ability gave you 3 combat, you would add that to the previous 9 and get a total of 12...

Then you look for the trashing abilities of the cards (the ones with the trash can) and say you had a card that when trashed gave you 5 combat... you can now trash that card and put it in the trashed pile next to the trade row and add 5 combat to the 12 you had and make it 17...
If that card you trashed add given you combat points as a primary ability (or anything else like drawing cards, or authority or trade) you would keep those abilities the card gave you...
The same goes for allied abilities, you don't lose them if you trashed the card because those abilities were already activated and putt in the respective pool of combat, trade or authority...

Hope I'm making sense...

So taking this in consideration the effect of the primary abilities is instant but you use it when you want in your turn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Sibley
Canada
flag msg tools
Only Combat and Trade get added to "pools". Ship primary abilities must be used immediately upon playing the card. Base primary abilities, all ally abilities, and all scrap abilities may be used (once) at any point during the turn, if you meet the requirements. You do not "pool" effects like drawing cards, you can only choose when to use the ability.

Regarding the original questions:
1) Yes.
2) Yes. Bases already in play at the start of a turn were not played that turn.
3) At any time during your turn. Bases' primary abilities may be used once per turn at any time during your turn. This contrasts with ships' primary abilities which you must use when you play the ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gsibley wrote:

2) Yes. Bases already in play at the start of a turn were not played that turn.
3) At any time during your turn. Bases' primary abilities may be used once per turn at any time during your turn. This contrasts with ships' primary abilities which you must use when you play the ship.

Regarding 2)
So you are saying that bases that have been played in previous turns don't have effects on subsequent turns?

The example he gave was the Blob World that allows you to draw a card for every blob card you played this turn...
Are you saying that the base doesn't count as blob card played this turn so only other cards will count to that effect or that it doesn't trigger at all?

3) when you say ships primary abilities you must use when you play the ship are you saying that the combat and trade effects don't pool with other cards? That as soon as you put the card down you have to use the primary abilities?

The terminology is misleading... I think that the abilities activate, the combat and trade go to the respective pool and then you USE it when you want in the order you want to use them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ainsworth
Canada
Carleton Place
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The following example may help- it's how my group has been playing these cards.

I have no cards in play and a Ram, a Blob Wheel, a Blob World, and two Scouts in my hand.

I play the Ram. Immediately, I get five combat added to my combat pool (the ship's primary ability activates immediately). I then play the Blob World, then the Blob Wheel. I then choose to activate the Blob World, taking the "draw a card for each" option. I draw three cards- one for the Blob World I played this turn, one for the Ram I played this turn, one for the Blob Wheel I played this turn. I can add the two additional combat the Ram's faction-matching bonus to my combat pool at any time, and may also add the one combat from the Blob Wheel at any time, leaving me with a total of eight combat and three cards drawn.

On my next turn, I still have the Blob World in play, still have the Blob Wheel in play, and a hand consisting of a Battle Pod and four more Scouts. I play the Battle Pod, and immediately must choose what card, if any, to scrap in the trade row (that ability, as the primary ability on a ship, triggers immediately). I also gain four combat, again immediately. The secondary ability on the Battle Pod I can activate at any time during my turn, giving me two combat additionally.

However, on this turn, if I choose the "draw a card for each" option, I will draw only ONE card. While I do indeed still have both the Blob World and the Blob Wheel in play, I did NOT play either one of them THIS turn, but played them last turn and thus they do not count for the card draw on the Blob World. I will, of course, still get a combat from the Blob Wheel- I simply cannot count it as an additional card to draw from the Blob World.

This is how we've been playing it; hope it helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Schoonmaker-Gates
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for your participation. Thank you Sean for your detailed example. I agree that based on the rules, that is the correct way to play. This is also consistent with the answers Gabriel gave.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Farwalker wrote:
The following example may help- it's how my group has been playing these cards.

I have no cards in play and a Ram, a Blob Wheel, a Blob World, and two Scouts in my hand.

I play the Ram. Immediately, I get five combat added to my combat pool (the ship's primary ability activates immediately). I then play the Blob World, then the Blob Wheel. I then choose to activate the Blob World, taking the "draw a card for each" option. I draw three cards- one for the Blob World I played this turn, one for the Ram I played this turn, one for the Blob Wheel I played this turn. I can add the two additional combat the Ram's faction-matching bonus to my combat pool at any time, and may also add the one combat from the Blob Wheel at any time, leaving me with a total of eight combat and three cards drawn.

On my next turn, I still have the Blob World in play, still have the Blob Wheel in play, and a hand consisting of a Battle Pod and four more Scouts. I play the Battle Pod, and immediately must choose what card, if any, to scrap in the trade row (that ability, as the primary ability on a ship, triggers immediately). I also gain four combat, again immediately. The secondary ability on the Battle Pod I can activate at any time during my turn, giving me two combat additionally.

However, on this turn, if I choose the "draw a card for each" option, I will draw only ONE card. While I do indeed still have both the Blob World and the Blob Wheel in play, I did NOT play either one of them THIS turn, but played them last turn and thus they do not count for the card draw on the Blob World. I will, of course, still get a combat from the Blob Wheel- I simply cannot count it as an additional card to draw from the Blob World.

This is how we've been playing it; hope it helps!

Excellent example

That's how I play also
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is another example that I think is useful.

Suppose you already have Blob World played from a previous turn.

In this hand, you have two Blob ships and you play them, triggering their basic abilities.

At that point, you decide to use the ability of Blob World to draw two cards (one for each Blob card you played).

You might draw two more Blob ships and play them - but those don't enable Blob World to activate and allow you to draw two more cards.

You can trigger Blob World's ability once during each turn. If you use the "draw cards" part of the ability, it applies only to Blob cards that you played earlier this turn. It does not apply to any cards you might draw and play later (or even to Blob cards that you still have in hand yet to play).

Lesson is that you might want to use any other "draw card" abilities (from other cards) before you use Blob World's - because those other abilities might allow you to draw and play more Blob cards.

And, of course, you might want to activate a Federation "put the next ship you buy on top of your deck" ability first - and then buy a ship if you can before applying (or even playing) those cards with "draw card" abilities. But here I'm wandering too far from the Blob World.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Is not a platypus. Seriously.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Muse23PT wrote:

Excellent example

That's how I play also

I'm confused, you were the first to reply and your reply is NOT what is described in this example. But then you said that's how you play...

In your response, Blob bases *already* in play at the beginning of the turn still count towards the blob world's ability.

In the example, they do not count (unless played from your hand that turn).

I mean, if you read the card it sounds like the example is the right way to interpret it, however this game does all sorts of things that aren't intuitive. Has there ever been a official ruling on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Schoonmaker-Gates
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see anything official. However, just follow the wording on the card and the wording in the rule book, which matches the example that Sean gave. This also is the same way the Star Realms App is programmed, though honestly the app doesn't always follow the letter of the law of the rulebook so in my opinion that's not a definitive way to determine the correct rules... but it usually is :-).

Wish I could be more helpful, but that's what I got.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.